Show Printable Version 73 Likes Search this Thread
05-03-2017, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I surely do love mine.

05-04-2017, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very encouraging! I will probably wind up like monochrome, and eventually get a K-1 as well. My main draw is that I do have numerous fine FF lenses, and look forward to their use in the original format they were designed for. But for extensive hiking and biking, it will be the KP for sure!
05-04-2017, 12:24 PM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Very encouraging! I will probably wind up like monochrome, and eventually get a K-1 as well. My main draw is that I do have numerous fine FF lenses, and look forward to their use in the original format they were designed for. But for extensive hiking and biking, it will be the KP for sure!
I think this will work out as a travel and more casual (very capable) camera that's a lot of fun, and also for some telephoto. It will stay jpeg-only most of the time. I'll use K-1 for more deliberate, fine work.

I also must rationalize my compulsive gear list and acquisition. Selling the DA Limiteds was supposed to be a condition of buying the K-1.
05-04-2017, 02:51 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
I took some shots of it with a couple of limiteds attached tonight
Great looking setup. Thanks for sharing.

05-05-2017, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I tend to look at my next acquisitions in terms of- improved results and expanded usability. The newly added capabilities with added suitability for particular circumstances. I have some older bodies and even some lenses I no longer use, and will finally sell. But some very fine FF lenses I have not been using much will again find more use if I get a K-1! All my Limiteds, both FA and DA, are here to stay!

For example, I really like portability and high quality together, which the KP and Limiteds are all about- although also quickly adaptable for telephoto use. Some years ago a young friend and his fiancé were graduating from a large university, and invited me to attend. Of course they knew I would bring" a camera". That was the year I upgraded to the lightweight K-r and the K-5, (and later the K-5IIs) both of which are far better for low light/higher ISO than my older K-20D and K-200D. Well, I did indeed bring "a camera", an all-around zoom for group shots afterward, etc., and brought out some of my big guns- DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, DA* 200mm f/2.8, and FA 300mm f/4.5 since I was not sure of distances I might be facing. It turned out the ceremony took place in a huge sports arena, and through their friend we were positioned in an executive suite with kitchen, bar, behind-glass seating, as well as its open balcony seats, at a considerable distance from the stage. I got shots of my friends entering the huge arena, in groups with other graduates, and various parts of the ceremony. I soon established that with APS-C it was my DA* 200mm that provided excellent framing for the most critical closeups from a balcony seat. My friends and their families were knocked out by the photos I provided. They knew without saying, nothing like that could have been obtained by their phones or P&S cameras!

Last year I gave those friends my little K-r (their first interchangeable lens camera), replacing it with a K-S2 at a bargain price- $508 including the little compact kit zoom. It will continue on as my "party" casual compact, lightweight DSLR, also having the articulating screen. It has the "selfie" button, where with a WA lens, maybe the DA 15mm LTD, or even the DA fisheye zoom, I can get some fun shots with my friends!

So I view everything in my current kit will fit a particular use circumstance.

Last edited by mikesbike; 05-05-2017 at 12:39 PM.
05-05-2017, 12:53 PM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Things I'll keep and use:
  • pre-Spotmatic cameras and lenses
  • K bodies + lenses
  • A body + lenses
  • MX + LX + MZ-S
  • K-01
  • K-1 + FA Limiteds
  • KP + DA Limiteds
The other items just aren't being used, interesting though they may be. I don't need an APSc flagship. KP is fast enough.
05-06-2017, 01:25 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Monochrome, you do have some treasures!

The MZ-S is one unique camera- I also have that model. The smallest, lightest, metal-body professional grade AF SLR ever made. I also have the battery grip. Handling as you know, is very good with or without the grip. The only MF body I have left is the Super Program in silver/black. I keep the little MF 40mm f/2.8 on it. I am likely to sell my nice ZX-5n, but keep the likewise compact ZX-L since it can effortlessly take and use either a lens aperture ring, or a lens with none, to the degree they were designed for, without any penalty. Too bad Pentax DSLRs did not follow that design!

I'll most likely sell the big Pentax PZ-1p, which was my favorite AF film model, and in many ways the most advanced. But it has not seen use in at lest several years. Trouble is, even if in perfect condition, you can't get much for these film bodies anyway.

05-06-2017, 01:45 PM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Monochrome, you do have some treasures!
Indeed I do. I started accumulating in 1999 - but I'm at the point of gluttony now, with no reason or theme or standard for selection and rejection. Hard choices ahead.

The KP is remarkably competent for an in-between body. The K-3 replacement should be stunning.

PZ-1P is a great camera if the flash spring still works and the battery door surround isn't cracked.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-06-2017 at 02:00 PM.
05-08-2017, 06:54 AM   #69

@ Dannyv- yes, that does sound like a good deal! Be sure to try out the exclusive Pentax Hyper System. Owners manuals no longer make this feature clear. In Program mode you can select a different shutter speed, or aperture on the fly without even having to take your eye from the VF just by selecting what you want with the thumb or finger dial, and it will stay thus shifted into Av or Tv mode (you can go back and forth!) as long as light allows metering, until you hit the green button to return to full P mode, or turn off the camera.

In Manual mode, you can use the green button to get instant center-meter exposure according to program line instead of the regular twirling of Av and Tv dials. Then if you wish a different aperture or shutter speed, select form there, but if you first hit the AE-L button to lock exposure, as you select a different aperture or shutter speed, the other will follow along, preserving your exposure value! Very quick. It is also great for quickly spot metering around a scene in M mode using the green button!
Many thanks for your explanation, Mike! Much appreciated!
05-08-2017, 03:35 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're very welcome, Danny- I'm sure you will enjoy your Pentax experience!
05-09-2017, 10:21 AM   #71

You're very welcome, Danny- I'm sure you will enjoy your Pentax experience!
I ordered a black KP yesterday...will arrive tomorrow together with the free 35/2.4 and a spare battery. I also ordered a new 55-300 PLM in the same shop and on ebay I bought a Pentax 16-45 which looks brandnew for a very good price. The 16-45 and the 55-300 will be my lightweight walking kit giving me a versatile 24 to 450mm. Now I will be on the lookout for a Pentax 12-24 and perhaps the 60-250 but first I want to check the quality of the 55-300 pics
05-09-2017, 08:02 PM - 2 Likes   #72

Ooooh, the silver looks gorgeous. Got mine in black this past weekend! Wanted to post some non DA lenses attached to the KP for reference.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 

Last edited by deezy339; 05-09-2017 at 08:17 PM.
05-10-2017, 02:46 AM   #73

QuoteOriginally posted by deezy339 Quote
Ooooh, the silver looks gorgeous. Got mine in black this past weekend! Wanted to post some non DA lenses attached to the KP for reference.
The KP looks nice with the 43. I´m having some troubles to decide between the 43 and the 40.
06-01-2017, 01:45 AM   #74
Pentaxian

Sexy as hell!
06-01-2017, 08:10 PM   #75
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Whoa, it looks awesome with those FA limiteds! Drooling. With your 43 Ltd or a DA40 Ltd, it really is a stealth camera.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 06-01-17 at 11:18 PM ----------

Last edited by shiner; 06-01-2017 at 08:19 PM.