Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 73 Likes Search this Thread
10-15-2017, 11:59 AM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
Another shot, with the small grip and 40mm (was set up shooting some coins for a friend and couldn't resist )- shot with K70 and 35mm Ltd
What's the difference between the K-70 and the K-P? Does something stand out?

10-15-2017, 02:14 PM   #92
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
What's the difference between the K-70 and the K-P? Does something stand out?
Well totally different handling, but they are just different in that regard. Once I got used to the KP, it handles great, but the K70 felt fantastic from the get go. The KP has a far nicer shutter, very quiet, faster. I find that I'm much quicker at grabbing shots with the KP- again, after learning it. Using live view can be tedious with the fully articulating display of the K70, and it is vulnerable when deployed- a bit delicate. The KP's up-and-down display, however, is very robust and far easier and quicker to employ- so you tend to use it a LOT more. It's very strong. So, shutter performance, screen, and also the many quick-access user settings, I think. Another, less tangible advantage that the KP has is the constant feeling of quality that you get from handling and using it... and just looking at it- it's a beauty!
10-15-2017, 02:29 PM   #93
Pentaxian

Well totally different handling, but they are just different in that regard. Once I got used to the KP, it handles great, but the K70 felt fantastic from the get go. The KP has a far nicer shutter, very quiet, faster. I find that I'm much quicker at grabbing shots with the KP- again, after learning it. Using live view can be tedious with the fully articulating display of the K70, and it is vulnerable when deployed- a bit delicate. The KP's up-and-down display, however, is very robust and far easier and quicker to employ- so you tend to use it a LOT more. It's very strong. So, shutter performance, screen, and also the many quick-access user settings, I think. Another, less tangible advantage that the KP has is the constant feeling of quality that you get from handling and using it... and just looking at it- it's a beauty!
Interesting.... I'm always looking at replacements for Tess' K-5 which she still loves.... I can get the K-70 for 689 CAD and a K-P for $1199, you think the K-P is $500 CAD ( $400 USD) better?
10-15-2017, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #94
Veteran Member

You also get the more advanced AF system. It would be hard for me to go back to the 11 point AF system.

10-15-2017, 05:53 PM   #95
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
You also get the more advanced AF system. It would be hard for me to go back to the 11 point AF system.
Interesting.... I'm always looking at replacements for Tess' K-5 which she still loves.... I can get the K-70 for 689 CAD and a K-P for $1199, you think the K-P is $500 CAD ( $400 USD) better?
Yes, what howieb101 said ^^. I also like the dedicated switch position for Live View, so when you switch the camera off and then back on, you are still in Live View until you switch it out of that mode- very useful. I have not regretted getting my KP in the very least, in spite of owning a K70 as well... so yes, I think it's worth it
10-16-2017, 05:31 AM   #96
Pentaxian

Yes, what howieb101 said ^^. I also like the dedicated switch position for Live View, so when you switch the camera off and then back on, you are still in Live View until you switch it out of that mode- very useful. I have not regretted getting my KP in the very least, in spite of owning a K70 as well... so yes, I think it's worth it
The 11 point is actually a big thing, as far as I'm concerned... now you've got me thinking... this might cost me some money..
Thanks for the responses.
10-17-2017, 06:45 AM   #97
Veteran Member

The 11 point is actually a big thing, as far as I'm concerned... now you've got me thinking... this might cost me some money.. Thanks for the responses.
Norm,

My wife & I just bought the KP after she sold her K-S2, she loves it. I didn't think it would replace my K-3II as a lighter in-the-field option to the K-1, but it has. With it, I will usually run it in Auto ISO 100-6400 with good results, have even used 12,800 in certain light conditions looks good. Shutter is very quiet, the flip up (or down) LCD screen is great for low to the ground shots, the different grip sizes are a nice feature. The AF seems to be improved as I got a five shot series of two mallards taking off of a pond at 20yrds with my DA*300 last Sunday, each one in focus, even with the big lens, it handled great with the large grip. So far I've been very impressed with the KP, to where I've passed the K-3II to my daughter. Just really didn't need it anymore, as it makes a great ASP-C companion to the K-1.

Slightly cropped, a little adj to exposure and shadows...that it !! DA* 300 - F8, 1/350 & 3200iso

10-17-2017, 07:33 AM   #98
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by longbow Quote
Norm,

My wife & I just bought the KP after she sold her K-S2, she loves it. I didn't think it would replace my K-3II as a lighter in-the-field option to the K-1, but it has. With it, I will usually run it in Auto ISO 100-6400 with good results, have even used 12,800 in certain light conditions looks good. Shutter is very quiet, the flip up (or down) LCD screen is great for low to the ground shots, the different grip sizes are a nice feature. The AF seems to be improved as I got a five shot series of two mallards taking off of a pond at 20yrds with my DA*300 last Sunday, each one in focus, even with the big lens, it handled great with the large grip. So far I've been very impressed with the KP, to where I've passed the K-3II to my daughter. Just really didn't need it anymore, as it makes a great ASP-C companion to the K-1.

Slightly cropped, a little adj to exposure and shadows...that it !! DA* 300 - F8, 1/350 & 3200iso

The water drops dripping off the back of those birds is just way too cool. Thanks for posting.
10-17-2017, 08:48 AM   #99
Veteran Member

The water drops dripping off the back of those birds is just way too cool. Thanks for posting.
Not a problem, happy to share
10-17-2017, 05:48 PM - 4 Likes   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have all three styles. The K-5 IIs is similar to the K-3, the K-S2 is similar to the K-70, and the KP is not similar to anything else. It is not really a replacement for the others, because controls and features are different, as well as the more professional feel and design compared to the K-70/K-S2, but these have the swing-around rear screen and controls for pointing the camera at yourself and friends, or around a corner, which is also cool. As longbow has said, the KP is designed to be suitable in quality and design to be the APS-C field-carrying companion to the K-1, and is indeed the compact APS-C body closest to the K-1 in style, quality and performance.