Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2018, 05:00 AM   #691
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Quote
I don't know if it is on the k3... I looked for it on my K5iis but could only find monochrome. I think it's a great addition to the KP. I was thinking of getting one of the Fuji or Lumix mirrorless cameras with their deep black and white options.... no need to do that now!

---------- Post added 08-20-18 at 07:50 AM ----------

Thanks... I didn't do anything else except use the bold monochrome option in camera. I used spot metering where appropriate and selected the aperture I wanted. Nothing else. I now have some great B&W jpegs and also the raw files to muck around with if needs be. I specifically wanted the option to create speedy B&W images with more impact than the usual monochrome options found on most cameras. I don't want to spend ages in Lighroom/Photoshop/Nik Effects when I can get such amazing tones in-camera. Personally, I love this option but I suspect that very few people will use it, partly because it will be skipped over, and partly because people have an aversion to in-camera digital filters, and would rather spend ages doing it themselves!
Quite possibly. I paid a bit for Topaz Black & White Adjustment plugin, it does the job very nicely.
I've seen some other digital filters that I've quite enjoyed, I've toyed with the idea of RAW+ for this very purpose so that I too might not spend forever in PP, but I don't mind a bit of playing around (in post). If I was gonna do it I think I might choose something other than B&W seeing as I have very capable software to do it (that I personally feel other monochrome conversion software doesn't do as well as).

08-20-2018, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #692
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Very nice shot! Bay Meadows or a fair?

Thanks. It's Humboldt County Fair in Ferndale, CA.
08-20-2018, 02:50 PM - 9 Likes   #693
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One of my faves with my month old KP
08-20-2018, 03:16 PM   #694
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Love the bit of fogginess, really sets the scene. Thanks.

08-20-2018, 03:31 PM   #695
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
Love the bit of fogginess, really sets the scene. Thanks.
Thanks,

I love when I make it out on a foggy morning, and the fog and low clouds kept moving, making for several different looks.
08-20-2018, 06:51 PM - 2 Likes   #696
Veteran Member

I can scratch my back with two limbs at the same time!

Shooting some bumble bees of various genus this afternoon before heading out for a beer with SWMBO. I think this one turned out pretty well of a bee scratching his own back while coated in pollen. KP and DA 55-300 PLM. Second image is just a good one of a different bee, a few flowers to the left!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
08-21-2018, 04:02 AM - 3 Likes   #697

Finally took several I liked...
First image with O-GPS1 and KP.

Liked a few during the flight

08-21-2018, 04:22 AM - 1 Like   #698
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Evie Quote
Finally took several I liked...
First image with O-GPS1 and KP.

Liked a few during the flight

You jump high ! ^^
I have not tried yet astrotracer on the KP with the GPS module, is it easy to fine calibrate it ?
(as there are two levels of calibration, I have never succeded the fine one on some vulcanic moutains, maybe containing a bit of metal, but it was very easy on other mountains)
08-21-2018, 04:56 AM   #699

QuoteOriginally posted by agukha Quote
You jump high ! ^^
I have not tried yet astrotracer on the KP with the GPS module, is it easy to fine calibrate it ?
(as there are two levels of calibration, I have never succeded the fine one on some vulcanic moutains, maybe containing a bit of metal, but it was very easy on other mountains)
I did use the same O-GPS1 on K-30 previously, so for me it is not very difficult. This shot was 1 successful out of 6 or so, but: 1. I had no remote or stand with me, so 1 was moved when clicking the button, 1 way too bright (90+ s on ISO 3200 and F1.4), 2 were too dark (I had aperture ring on F22 before and forgot to turn it back), 1 is overexposed - can be saved down to the visible stars and MW, but no colors Astrometry.net

I have not used O-GPS1 in mountains, though. The forecast shows clear, will try going with Rokinon 10mm F2.8 tonight and remote at least (this one was Bower 24mm F1.4, so needs a panorama for a good shot).
08-21-2018, 05:19 AM   #700
Pentaxian

I did use the same O-GPS1 on K-30 previously, so for me it is not very difficult. This shot was 1 successful out of 6 or so, but: 1. I had no remote or stand with me, so 1 was moved when clicking the button, 1 way too bright (90+ s on ISO 3200 and F1.4), 2 were too dark (I had aperture ring on F22 before and forgot to turn it back), 1 is overexposed - can be saved down to the visible stars and MW, but no colors Astrometry.net

I have not used O-GPS1 in mountains, though. The forecast shows clear, will try going with Rokinon 10mm F2.8 tonight and remote at least (this one was Bower 24mm F1.4, so needs a panorama for a good shot).
You can put the shutter on 2 seconds delay, it is made for this case (or 12 seconds if you feel the base is really moving, but it may move after then)
08-21-2018, 05:23 AM   #701

QuoteOriginally posted by agukha Quote
You can put the shutter on 2 seconds delay, it is made for this case (or 12 seconds if you feel the base is really moving, but it may move after then)
It was bulb, so you need to click again to stop. I have remote with me, but did not have enough batteries (only 2 AAA instead of 3 - 2 for remote and 1 for O-GPS1). Still will try with 10mm first.
08-21-2018, 06:21 AM   #702
Pentaxian

It was bulb, so you need to click again to stop. I have remote with me, but did not have enough batteries (only 2 AAA instead of 3 - 2 for remote and 1 for O-GPS1). Still will try with 10mm first.
Ah ok, when you're in astrotracer mode you can choose the time with the selector until 5mn (but I don't remember which menu must be choosen to have that)
08-21-2018, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #703
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
One of my faves with my month old KP
We can get shots like that now, but it's not fog, it's smoke from all the fires in the area.
08-21-2018, 12:38 PM - 8 Likes   #704

Early Light

Here the water light takes on a new character each day. I really enjoy these long exposures with my new 35mm; some as long as two seconds and an ND2 at 100 iso. Good times.
Attached Images

08-21-2018, 01:29 PM   #705
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Martin KP Quote
Here the water light takes on a new character each day. I really enjoy these long exposures with my new 35mm; some as long as two seconds and an ND2 at 100 iso. Good times.
Really great colors in the water. Thanks.