Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15848 Likes Search this Thread
08-28-2018, 03:57 PM   #736
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Thanks everyone for the comments on the Jackson Glacier pic. I tend to agree that every KP (and every K-3 and K-70 ) user should consider getting this 55-300 PLM. Conceptually, it's a new type of lens the likes of which have been seen only rarely. Essentially, the lens has consumer grade specs (at least in terms of aperture), but it does not have consumer grades optics. The optics are several cuts above typical consumer grade quality. So what you get is a compact, high quality zoom at a fairly attractive price. You give up aperture, but gain a lot more in terms of price, size, and weight. For years, I had been trying to find a lens just like the PLM. I tried the FA 100-300, the F 70-210, the M 75-150, the M 135/3.5. These lenses all presented challenges either in terms of focal range, resolution at longer distances, or difficulty of focusing at long distances. The PLM has solved all these issues in a single stroke, and in so doing, has opened to me the world of telephoto landscapes. At Glacier NP, it was my most used lens.

Incidentally, using pixel shift with the PLM enables images that rival FF quality from a significantly smaller, lighter, and less expensive package.
Pixelshift is an interesting beast. I use it a fair bit with my K-1 also, and it really seems to make some lens shine (*cough Pentax-A 24/2.8 cough*) whereas with other glass the benefit isn't quite the same dramatic improvement affair.

Nice to hear about the 55-300 PLM, a lens I have not heard or read about (till now).

My KP is my second shooter, so the glass I choose for it tends to be smaller and more discreet (DA 40 XS, HD DA 35/2.8 Macro etc).

08-28-2018, 09:20 PM   #737
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
I thought the guy with the conductor hat and the guitar looked familiar - yep, on the train to the gold dredge, in Fox, Alaska. Your shot is better (closer) than mine.

I got a laugh with your very nice Denali shot - almost exactly the same framing as mine, except for mine shows more snow due to my being there earlier in the year (last year actually). It's from the Denali viewing area that the bus stops at (my bus driver was Eric), so I imagine that there are zillions of shots from the same place as ours. We were fortunate that we each had good weather.

You have some very nice wildlife images. I still don't have a puffin image as good as yours. Love the sea otter looking straight at you.

Thanks.
Right guy, I enjoyed his entertainment while we were waiting for the train to load. I enjoyed the dredge as well as the Discovery and Fairbanks in general.

Thanks for the compliments about the wildlife - it's not my usual thing and I'm not very skilled at it. I was lucky with the sea otter, the pilot of the Lu-Lu Belle got pretty close to them.
08-29-2018, 12:21 AM   #738
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by magmotif Quote
I'm glad you slept in! Beautiful sunrise!

---------- Post added 08-28-18 at 05:17 PM ----------

The picture really has a unique "feel" to it. I've never tried in-camera processing - just wondering if you do that to simplify post-processing, or is the in-camera processing difficult to reproduce in PP?
Some who used the Bold Monochrome filter in the Pentax Q said it was almost impossible to reproduce in PP... as is often the case with these in-camera processing engines. I think the same applies to the Fujifilm/Lumia in-camera filters as well. These make the images much more film-like in terms of tonal range... ordinary monochrome suddenly looks flat and lifeless. I know that work in PP can revive this, in raw and in jpeg style, but when the image SOOC is so good, why bother? The Bold Monochrome has quite a cool look to it and I like it that way. I've got an option set on my KP so that with a twist of a dial I can 'shoot B+W film'! Or at least approximate it... I still have Kodak Portra and Tri-X and some Acros in my MX and ME SUper bodies, and some Lomography 400 in my little Espio.

Great that we have such amazing options!

---------- Post added 08-29-18 at 08:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by philanker2012 Quote
It was part of a street performance where members of the public could take part. All of the instructions were given over the headphones as they silently marched around. I liked the way that one of them was being a nonconformist and not looking ahead like the others.

---------- Post added 08-28-18 at 01:08 PM ----------

I have been out today in London shooting street using this mode and the majority of shots I have left mono with nothing more than a crop and straightening where necessary. It has definitely changed the way I will use the KP from now on.
Let's see them!
08-29-2018, 01:48 AM - 5 Likes   #739
Forum Member

The picture really has a unique "feel" to it. I've never tried in-camera processing - just wondering if you do that to simplify post-processing, or is the in-camera processing difficult to reproduce in PP?
The picture has a slightly waxy appearance as it was a heavy crop.

I really like the deep blacks and contrasting tones this setting produces. Not easy, or I have not found it easy to reproduce PP. Another bonus is that it allows me to "see" in black and white as the preview image when chimping is the JPEG mono. Plus, if not happy with the mono if shooting in RAW + the full image file is also there for PP.

I also have a user mode set for this filter so at the turn of the dial I am shooting in black and white. The only downside is the amount of time buffering while the in camera processing takes place, so if you are a machine gun shooter this is not for you.

KP, DA* 50-135mm, f2.8, ISO 400, 1/640s The only PP was a crop.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
08-29-2018, 07:35 AM   #740

I'm glad you slept in! Beautiful sunrise!

---------- Post added 08-28-18 at 05:17 PM ----------

Thanks Sir! Always an upside!
09-02-2018, 07:10 PM - 7 Likes   #741
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From the local county fair, with the DA 55-300 PLM:

09-08-2018, 08:02 PM - 5 Likes   #742
Pentaxian

Mountain in Glacier NP, with the 55-300 PLM:

09-10-2018, 07:43 AM - 6 Likes   #743
Forum Member

Pentax KP + Sigma 28/1.8, diaphragm 2.0

09-12-2018, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #744
Pentaxian

Panorama (multiple images) of Mad River at Sunset, shot with the DA 35 Ltd:

09-13-2018, 12:15 PM - 2 Likes   #745
Veteran Member

KP with DA*50-135

09-14-2018, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #746
Veteran Member

Pretty Little Plover

Yesterday in Portland Maine, sitting on a rock at the edge of Back Cove. Similar to but cropped differently from my Post your photos thread.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
09-14-2018, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #747
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is one from a visit to Tumwater Falls Park in Washington. Taken with my KP and DA *55mm F1.4 lens. I need to get an ND filter for this lens.

09-14-2018, 11:47 PM   #748
Pentaxian

well...

Try the multiexposure mode instead of buying ND filter for this lens. KP is very capable camera in this manner and can simulate even strong ND filter.
09-17-2018, 01:48 AM   #749

QuoteOriginally posted by cport Quote
Try the multiexposure mode instead of buying ND filter for this lens. KP is very capable camera in this manner and can simulate even strong ND filter.
Can you give detailed explanation? Did you mean HDR modes?

Thanks
09-17-2018, 03:40 AM   #750
Pentaxian

No, no HDR mode. Look at the "average" mode here:

In-camera Composites Using Creative Shooting Modes - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

KP allows to take a series of at most 2000 images and automatically create their "average"
« "L" Bracket for KP | - »