Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2019, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #931
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Decided to play around with the high iso shot from before just to see what I could do with it, it's amazing how usable the file is at such an extreme.

I softened the background a bit more to reduce the harshness of the out of focus grain and obviously added some punchy B&W.

I can confirm your observation.

Recently I had a little hike with friends in dim light - on bord the KP and DA18-135. In the very softly lit tavern of Kloster Andechs we got some food, beer, coffee etc. I made some pictures in Tav mode - without flash. KP delivered mostly ISO 25.600!

Here's one image taken at ISO 12.800, cropped to 2.000 x 3.000 px, then scaled down to 750 x 500 ...

KP • DA18-135@24 • ISO12.800 • f/6.3 • 1/60s

A 100% crop ...

Although the color versions of the images I took were good for such high ISO settings, the images also show that they are a great opportunity for black & white development.

01-06-2019, 02:18 PM - 20 Likes   #932
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Went aurora chasing last night and was rewarded with a pretty good show around 1am! Had to brave -35F, the KP did great. Batteries lasted about 15 minutes before freezing dead, but warmed back up in my inside pocket. The camera was pretty darn frozen after 4 hours, but worked flawlessly.

01-06-2019, 03:06 PM   #933
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
Went aurora chasing last night and was rewarded with a pretty good show around 1am! Had to brave -35F, the KP did great. Batteries lasted about 15 minutes before freezing dead, but warmed back up in my inside pocket. The camera was pretty darn frozen after 4 hours, but worked flawlessly.

A nice series of WOW! Shots! Get the grip and it will hang in for well over an hour or two, at least down to 0 F.
01-06-2019, 03:44 PM   #934

Very impressive!

01-06-2019, 06:19 PM   #935
Pentaxian

I'm going to be in Yellowknife in March with a KP, so your results are very encouraging!
01-06-2019, 07:32 PM - 9 Likes   #936
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kennedy space center.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
01-06-2019, 09:41 PM - 1 Like   #937
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Kansas windmill

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
01-06-2019, 10:24 PM - 2 Likes   #938
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Maxwell, with Cosina 55mm 1.2
01-07-2019, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #939
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice. Good reference point for extreme use.
What lens did you use for those, and did you feel like the lens was fine at that cold of temp?
01-07-2019, 12:37 PM   #940
Veteran Member

I used my Sigma 10-20 f3.5 HSM. After about an hour the zoom ring was extremely stiff and hesitant to move. The focus ring was also stiff but not as bad. I turned autofocus off and manually focused on a star to find infinity right as I set up so I didn't try the autofocus at all after cold soaking in those temps.

I was shooting with a new acquaintance who has a 5DIV and he was having similar battery life to my KP. I don't know how much the grip would have helped, or how easy it is to change batteries on one as I don't own one. I can tell you there feels like there's a lot of metal on the KP since I had to take my gloves off to change batteries; metal really burns at those temps when you grab it!
01-07-2019, 02:09 PM - 6 Likes   #941
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Young Hawk

I noticed a young hawk in a tree across the street from my house. I grabbed M42 200MM 5.6 preset lens and snapped a bunch. Many were out of focus. I've included a cropped and non-cropped version.
Every time I use this lens with the KP I'm impressed.
Attached Images

01-07-2019, 06:29 PM - 4 Likes   #942
Veteran Member

Photographs and memories...

KP+DA70Ltd.
01-09-2019, 04:30 PM   #943
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know how much the grip would have helped, or how easy it is to change batteries
The DLi90 lasts considerably longer and is really easy to swap out in the grip.
01-09-2019, 05:33 PM   #944
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can I ask, as someone who has never seen the Aurora's, how accurate are these shots (anyone's shots really) to how they actually look to the eye? I mean.. I know photography, I know in PP we can turn 'meh' into 'wow!' from some vibrancy and saturation boosts, stronger contrast, stronger whites and exposure and all that stuff.
I wonder if the pictures portray something quite close to what the eye saw at the time time, or stray into 'what looks great on a photo but doesn't really represent what was seen with the eye' territory?
01-09-2019, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #945
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Can I ask, as someone who has never seen the Aurora's, how accurate are these shots (anyone's shots really) to how they actually look to the eye? I mean.. I know photography, I know in PP we can turn 'meh' into 'wow!' from some vibrancy and saturation boosts, stronger contrast, stronger whites and exposure and all that stuff.
I wonder if the pictures portray something quite close to what the eye saw at the time time, or stray into 'what looks great on a photo but doesn't really represent what was seen with the eye' territory?
They are little more intense from what I remember seeing growing up.
But yes, on a good night, very much possible IMO. To plan a trip to capture something like that, forget it,
you have to live there and spend countless nights in the cold and hope for the best.