Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2019, 07:14 AM - 4 Likes   #1096
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UlrichSchiegg Quote
Nice shot. Where have you been? Should be springtime.
Where I live there's only two seasons: wet and cool, and dry and less cool. The difference in average high temperatures between winter and summer is only 8 degrees Fahrenheit.

For the last few months the DA* 300 + 1.4x converter has been parked on my KP. The images shot with this combination sometimes require extensive PP (I've been using the new Topaz Sharpen AI, with is extremely time consuming); so the production of KP images has been dramatically slowed.

Here's an early experimental sample of this exceedingly time consuming process:

03-19-2019, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #1097

Photos: Gallery
Well, the result is excellent. Seems worth it.
03-19-2019, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #1098
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Where I live there's only two seasons: wet and cool, and dry and less cool. The difference in average high temperatures between winter and summer is only 8 degrees Fahrenheit.

For the last few months the DA* 300 + 1.4x converter has been parked on my KP. The images shot with this combination sometimes require extensive PP (I've been using the new Topaz Sharpen AI, with is extremely time consuming); so the production of KP images has been dramatically slowed.

Here's an early experimental sample of this exceedingly time consuming process:
Well, you get a good result. Lovely robin. What is it about this combination that makes it require so much PP?
03-19-2019, 02:09 PM - 4 Likes   #1099
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
What is it about this combination that makes it require so much PP?
The issue has to do with the difficulty of obtaining sharp images of objects taken with the DA* 300 + DA 1.4x converter at long distance. Within 20 feet or so, I can get sharp images out of that combination. At longer distances, it's more of a struggle. So I've been experimenting using the software program Topaz sharpen AI to try to rectify some of the less than optimally sharp images I've taken lately. The time consuming part is that the software can take ten to twenty minutes to process an image, and during that time my computer can hardly be used for anything else. So I can only do about one or two images a day. The plus size is that, while the software is not perfect, it's far and away the best I've ever used. Here's an example of an egret flying. This is the original image:

Now there may be all kinds of reason why this image isn't sharp, from not fast enough shutter speed (1/500 sec) to inaccurate focus. But after going through the Sharpness AI program, here's what we get:

While not absolutely perfect, this is still a substantial improvement in the image, demonstrating the promise of this technology.

03-19-2019, 06:18 PM - 6 Likes   #1100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
New tourist site in NYC

This is the hot new instagram spot in the city.

03-19-2019, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #1101
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the explanation and clear examples, Greg.
03-20-2019, 01:54 AM - 1 Like   #1102
Veteran Member

The issue has to do with the difficulty of obtaining sharp images of objects taken with the DA* 300 + DA 1.4x converter at long distance. Within 20 feet or so, I can get sharp images out of that combination. At longer distances, it's more of a struggle. So I've been experimenting using the software program Topaz sharpen AI to try to rectify some of the less than optimally sharp images I've taken lately. The time consuming part is that the software can take ten to twenty minutes to process an image, and during that time my computer can hardly be used for anything else. So I can only do about one or two images a day. The plus size is that, while the software is not perfect, it's far and away the best I've ever used. Here's an example of an egret flying. This is the original image:

Now there may be all kinds of reason why this image isn't sharp, from not fast enough shutter speed (1/500 sec) to inaccurate focus. But after going through the Sharpness AI program, here's what we get:

While not absolutely perfect, this is still a substantial improvement in the image, demonstrating the promise of this technology.
impressive improvement from topaz!

03-20-2019, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #1103
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow - quite a difference. Amazing IMO.
03-21-2019, 11:52 AM - 4 Likes   #1104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tree Perspectives

KP • DA*11-18@11

KP • DA*11-18@14

03-21-2019, 07:18 PM - 5 Likes   #1105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Admiring the WTC.

KP + 11-18mm

03-22-2019, 11:33 AM - 5 Likes   #1106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shot with KP and DA*11-18.

Last edited by acoufap; 03-22-2019 at 11:40 AM.
03-24-2019, 09:12 PM - 13 Likes   #1107
Pentaxian

Took a motorcycle trip down the California coast, and a little inland. Visited Pinnacles National Park and Carrizo Plain National Monument.

03-26-2019, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #1108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scotty707 Quote
Took a motorcycle trip down the California coast, and a little inland. Visited Pinnacles National Park and Carrizo Plain National Monument.

Beautiful photos of beautiful country. I particularly like #2. Thanks for sharing.
03-26-2019, 07:45 PM - 8 Likes   #1109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice photos, scotty - what lens?

Here's one from today's hike. DA 300.

03-29-2019, 04:24 AM - 1 Like   #1110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
Very nice photos, scotty - what lens?

Here's one from today's hike. DA 300.
The first three were with the Sigma 10-20 f/4.5-5.6 EX. The last one was a multi-shot panorama done with that DA 18-135.
« "L" Bracket for KP | - »