Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2020, 08:32 AM - 2 Likes   #1921
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Tried out the Super Takumar 55 which came with the Spotmatic I won in the December draw.

02-18-2020, 04:29 PM   #1922

QuoteOriginally posted by rmrufener Quote
Snip "I did make an attempt at backlighting one of the bridges to see how it would turn out. I'm not sure if I like it or not".

I do! That's a really nice photo and something I've not been very successful at.
02-18-2020, 05:28 PM   #1923
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vkaro45 Quote
I do! That's a really nice photo and something I've not been very successful at.
Thank you. I must confess to doing a fair amount of pp on that one.
02-18-2020, 07:18 PM - 4 Likes   #1924
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

mtngal, don't you live in your travel trailer somewhere in the desert west? I've seen a number of your photos while reviewing the earlier pages to this thread, and enjoyed them all. It must take a lot of courage to live as you do. Last summer, my wife and I took 10 weeks to travel the Canadian Rockies, Alaska Highway and Alaska with our travel trailer. While we enjoyed it immensely, I could not live full time in that. I took over 3,000 pictures on that trip, but they were with the K10D, and this is a KP thread, so I'm out of luck. I only got out 2 times with the new camera, so I'm limited to the pictures I took on those outings for now. If you get sick of covered bridges, let me know.
I did make an attempt at backlighting one of the bridges to see how it would turn out. I'm not sure if I like it or not.
I like your bridge photo, very nice. The back-lighting came out well - that’s a hard thing to do (I rarely manage to get anything useful when trying backlighting, except for perhaps cholla cactus).

I did the Alaska Highway and Alaska, returning by the Cassiar Highway in 2018 - in fact, I bought the KP just for that trip. Loved it, spent 3 months on the road caravanning with friends of mine (we did our own caravan, not a commercial one) - such an awesome trip! It was on that trip that I discovered how much easier it was for me to use the KP over the K1, so I use the KP now most of the time.

And yes, I’m a full-time RVer and at the moment I’m camped in the Arizona desert, enjoying warm days and not shoveling snow. In early March I’ll probably go up to Nevada - Valley of Fire and Lake Mead - or maybe something else will sound interesting then.

Don’t know that full-timing takes courage, just the usual RV skills. After 4 years and over 50,000 miles, I realized my little trailer was far more my home than the house was, so why own the house? I think this makes a nice spot to spend some time (taken at around sunset the night before the rain, liked that last little bit of yellow sun on the side of the trailer with the dramatic sky, though perhaps I should have done a little more post processing to adjust the mid-tones a bit in the foreground, it’s a bit dark perhaps, but reflects the real lighting fairly well).

But full-time RV life is not for most people (well, RVing in general isn’t for many). You have to have a rig you are comfortable with and because it’s a non-traditional lifestyle, there are some unique challenges, even more than the usual ones you have with living in a relatively small, mobile space. The biggest one is my friends not understanding that I’m not moving TO anywhere, that the question “where will you live” doesn’t have an answer beyond “wherever I happen to be parked.” I’m giving it a year and then will decide whether I want to home-base somewhere or not.

02-19-2020, 05:20 AM - 6 Likes   #1925
Veteran Member

KP+20-40mm

02-19-2020, 06:49 PM - 9 Likes   #1926
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here are some of my favorite shots from my recent trip to Six Mile Cypress Slough, Ft. Myers, FL. All shot with my FA*400.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
02-20-2020, 09:44 AM - 3 Likes   #1927
Forum Member

Surprise, not a covered bridge. I did get out to a different location in Ohio a few days before the covered bridge trip. Got a few keepers from that trip. This was with the 18-55 lens, before the 18-135 got here.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
02-20-2020, 06:04 PM   #1928
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Buckeyemikie Quote
Here are some of my favorite shots from my recent trip to Six Mile Cypress Slough, Ft. Myers, FL. All shot with my FA*400.
These are all amazing examples of great bird photography, but the first one - the closeup of the blue-eyed bird - is a real prize-winner! Very dramatic image, that one. Most impressive! Is that bird some kind of heron or egrit?
02-20-2020, 07:33 PM   #1929
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks. It’s a female Anhinga in breeding colors. It swims underwater to catch fish by spearing them. It’s webbed foot is grasping the knurled branch. Often found in the southern US from Texas to Florida.
02-20-2020, 08:34 PM - 7 Likes   #1930
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More Florida birds. First one is a Limpkin & second a Green Heron.

---------- Post added 02-20-20 at 10:42 PM ----------

Surprise, not a covered bridge. I did get out to a different location in Ohio a few days before the covered bridge trip. Got a few keepers from that trip. This was with the 18-55 lens, before the 18-135 got here.
Nice winter landscape shot...I like the way the corn row stubble acts as leading lines to the Barn. We've yet to get any significant snow in SW Ohio.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
02-20-2020, 09:16 PM - 4 Likes   #1931
Pentaxian

Sunset over Humboldt Bay, with the DFA 55-300 PLM:

02-21-2020, 05:57 AM   #1932
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buckeyemikie Quote
More Florida birds. First one is a Limpkin & second a Green Heron.

---------- Post added 02-20-20 at 10:42 PM ----------

Nice winter landscape shot...I like the way the corn row stubble acts as leading lines to the Barn. We've yet to get any significant snow in SW Ohio.
Nice bird shots. Florida would be a good place to be right now, if you're from Ohio. We had 12 degrees this morning.

I've often admired that location and finally decided to drive to it after the snow. If you travel north on I-71 from Columbus, when you reach the Richland County sign, look to the East, and you'll see it.

---------- Post added 02-21-20 at 06:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Sunset over Humboldt Bay, with the DFA 55-300 PLM:
Another excellent landscape shot. I've got the 55-300 DA ED and have not been unhappy with it. I haven't, in the past, done much which needed a fast focus as the K10D wasn't really that kind of camera. Have you compared the non-PLM lens with the PLM lens as far as IQ? Your PLM shots are convincing me that I need to give this some consideration. Fixed income of retirement does have a few restraints.
02-21-2020, 02:39 PM - 3 Likes   #1933
Forum Member

An Amish farm just south of us. I might have overdone the red on the barn. It needed some lightening, but this may be too much.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
02-21-2020, 04:07 PM - 6 Likes   #1934
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sunset last night. The weather is changing, and it’s supposed to rain tonight. But last night the sky was spectacular, I don’t think I did it justice at all.

I know, sunrises and sunsets are easy and probably a cliche but I love them and never tire of taking pictures of them. They are pretty and remind me that the world around me is filled with pretty places and awesome views - including the Arizona Sonoran desert.
02-21-2020, 08:40 PM - 4 Likes   #1935
Pentaxian

Have you compared the non-PLM lens with the PLM lens as far as IQ? Your PLM shots are convincing me that I need to give this some consideration.
I have not compared the non-PLM and PLM versions of the DA 55-300. Some years ago I looked at scores of images of the non-PLM version on flickr years ago and I couldn't find anything that suggested that the lens would suit my needs. But my needs were different than most people who buy these lenses. I wanted a high quality compact telephoto lens for landscape photography, the PLM version has been a godsend for that. It's superb in the 55 to 150 range where I'm most likely to use it. At the longer end of the lens it's not as sharp and doesn't come close to matching professional lenses lenses like the DA* 300. The non-PLM has similar issues, but I doubt there's a huge difference at the long end between either lens — although the accuracy of the focusing on the PLM is a real plus. The HD coatings of the PLM are another plus — great color and contrast — but there is an HD version of the non-PLM version as well.

Here's another landscape with the 55-300 PLM: