Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15852 Likes Search this Thread
03-22-2020, 08:39 AM   #2026
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Thanks. Zabriskie Point has become a popular place for photographers. Although I was the first one there early one February morning, by the time I left shortly after sunrise there were probably close to fifty people there. Probably considerably less now with the virus, but you're not likely to be alone.

Another shot at same place, also with the DA 55-300 PLM:
Pretty photo! When were you there? I friend of mine was camping in Death Valley and left a couple of days ago - they’ve shut down almost all of the facilities there. There would be other places outside the park to stay and drive in, so I still think one would not be alone at Zabriskie Point.

03-22-2020, 09:26 AM - 6 Likes   #2027
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was at Death Valley in mid-February. I saw this virus thing coming down the pike so I made sure I got my vacation in early this year, and if you're vacationing in winter, Death Valley is a prime place to go — the weather's likely to be close to perfect.

One reason to assume there won't be many people at Zabriskie Pt at dawn (the best time photograph at that location) is that if you can't stay in the park (Furnace Creek is very close), you're looking at an hour+ drive to get there from virtually any place you could stay (i.e, in Nevada). Also one thing I'm noting is in that during the off season a lot of people from foreign countries are visiting U.S. national parks — and that obviously won't be the case during the present crisis.

Another image from Death Valley, again with the DA 55-300 PLM:

03-22-2020, 04:54 PM - 6 Likes   #2028
Pentaxian

The AM dog walk around the side yard and up to the corn remnants.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
03-23-2020, 12:50 AM - 7 Likes   #2029
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax KP - SMCP-FA77mm f/1.8 Limited @ f/1.8 1/160th ISO 100

100% crop - un-sharpened.

03-23-2020, 04:59 AM   #2030
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by rmrufener Quote
I probably shouldn't post my pictures on here as they don't measure up to what I've seen from others, ...
Nonsense. I was watching some documentary that happened to come on TV yesterday all about various photographers and how they approach their work. They showed the stuff they'd produced to some extent, and I was thinking, "I've seen better on Pentax Forums". There are some folks who consistently produce really good stuff and post it here. And many who get in a good one now and then. But it's not a contest, and the object for everyone, as near as I can tell, is just about getting better. It's normal, by the way, to take a hundred shots and have just one that's worth posting. The great photographers just don't show anyone the other 99.
03-23-2020, 07:57 AM   #2031
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
Nonsense. I was watching some documentary that happened to come on TV yesterday all about various photographers and how they approach their work. They showed the stuff they'd produced to some extent, and I was thinking, "I've seen better on Pentax Forums". There are some folks who consistently produce really good stuff and post it here. And many who get in a good one now and then. But it's not a contest, and the object for everyone, as near as I can tell, is just about getting better. It's normal, by the way, to take a hundred shots and have just one that's worth posting. The great photographers just don't show anyone the other 99.
Thanks for the encouragement. I do not claim to be a great photographer, but I can guarantee you that there are hundreds of photos that no one else will ever see.
03-23-2020, 10:37 AM - 4 Likes   #2032
Forum Member

A couple more from the Salineno Preserve near Roma, TX. A Red Bellied Woodpecker and a Green Jay

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
03-23-2020, 02:43 PM - 9 Likes   #2033
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
There's a lot of truth in this.

We're all at different levels, some shoot for money here, some it's a hobby and form of escapism. You would hope that those who shoot for money are better, because they have high expectations on them. I know when I decided to pursue this is a p/t career I had to step my game up massively. The learning curve I'm still very much on.
I used to feel some images here 'put down' the Pentax brand as they were quite weak images, however my view has changed significantly, now it really shows that photography is not the gear, it is the user and (a quite often ignored point) their PP skills.
My personal journey has taught me that yes, acquiring better glass, camera bodies etc, it can help get better shots, however I would say practising (and i don't mean just going out and shooting, but REAL practice), studying (reading, learning, watching videos, getting educated) and mastering the post processing side is where a lot of the gains exist in producing better images.

So post away, do not be afraid, we have users of all skill levels here. One of the reasons I started a SOOC thread (Straight Out Of Camera) was to see peoples results of the shot they took at the time, it can be a wonderful way to see the potential the image has before the user begins the PP.

My only advice to those wanting to seek better images is to not always invest in new glass (hoping that will take your images to the next level), but instead invest in yourself. People around here might think it heresy to spend $500 on tutorials and programs that aim to improve your skills and PP rendering skills, but I would argue that $500 spent here will take their photography to another level that a new lens will never reach.

Anyway, rant over... here's my Mono Monday offering;

03-23-2020, 03:53 PM   #2034
Pentaxian

From this afternoon’s walk,with nonPLM 55-300,heavily cropped.

03-23-2020, 04:31 PM - 2 Likes   #2035
Pentaxian

I’m really pleased with this lorikeet - as soft, and chromatically-aberrant as it is - because of the posture and expression of the bird, and the overall feel of it.

Beady-eyed lorikeet by -Occasionally Focused-

Shot with my Takumar Bayonet 135/2.5
03-23-2020, 06:27 PM - 6 Likes   #2036
Pentaxian

Chapel of the Holy Cross, Sedona, AZ — with the DA 55-300 PLM:

03-24-2020, 11:25 AM   #2037
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

SIEM STINGRAY is a Offshore Supply Ship
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
03-24-2020, 06:19 PM - 6 Likes   #2038
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rmrufener Quote
Thanks for the encouragement. I do not claim to be a great photographer, but I can guarantee you that there are hundreds of photos that no one else will ever see.
Oh that's very true of the professionals as well. I learned very quickly on that you will always be judged on your worst. It's ok to go out shooting and come back with nothing, that's quite normal I assure you. It just feels so bad when doing that for clients and you feel you're scraping the barrel to hand over a good shot from the job

Anyway... Happy Whiskers Wednesday!

03-24-2020, 06:40 PM - 4 Likes   #2039
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Vermillion Fly Catcher with KP and 55-300 PLM

One of my favorite AZ birds.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
03-25-2020, 02:34 PM - 5 Likes   #2040
Site Supporter
Site Supporter