Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2020, 06:26 PM - 11 Likes   #2056
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
Hi Bruce, you're pulling some serious performance out of 55-300 PLM , I love the colors, contrast, sharpness of the in-focus part as well as the bokeh of the background!

Flower(s) on a tiny weeping cherry tree we planted last year. Nice to have something to enjoy at home when I'm forced to stay there every day all day. KP and DA 55-300 PLM.

Social distancing in spring by k kwb, on Flickr
Thank you! Here's a few more, and also nice shot yourself!

----------------

03-29-2020, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #2057
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Spring Quarantined

Maybe not my best KP Image. Spring has arrived in all her glory, virus be damned.

KP | HD DA35/2.8 Limited
03-30-2020, 10:39 AM - 9 Likes   #2058
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Rose-ringed parakeet
Lens 55-300mm PLM
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
03-30-2020, 02:50 PM   #2059
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Crooski Quote
Rose-ringed parakeet
Lens 55-300mm PLM
What a beautiful capture!

03-30-2020, 07:14 PM - 3 Likes   #2060
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These probably don’t belong in a best of anything thread. I’m really struggling with a new lens, the ergonomics are very difficult for me and even with a lot of adjustment, I don’t think I have the focus right yet (it’s close though). The lens front-focuses badly. If I hadn’t managed to put a small scratch in the lens hood, I would have sent it back before I realized just how much adjustment it needs.

I wouldn’t even process the photos of the last day I went out with it (two weeks ago) until yesterday. I guess some of them are all right - I’m curious to see the processed photos here and would love any reaction. Yes, I know that I’m a master of going to a beautiful location and taking a bunch of boring photos.

In any case, here are a couple of them.

I finally got around to doing something about finding a new photo hosting site, I’m fed up with zenfolio so I’m trying out Smugmug. It’s going to take some getting used to also.

I also used DxO PhotoLab 3 to process them, I find that LR sometimes does weird things to reds, oranges and yellows if you try to lighten them (some of these were under-exposed due to the influence of so much white rock - should have also paid more attention to that, too). DxO is less likely to do that, but I’m not that familiar with it. The lens is too new for any of the software programs to recognize it yet, so it’s listed as an unknown lens.

It’s not all that bad of a lens if everything comes together. But too often it doesn’t. It doesn’t play well with my KP and I don’t know if the fault lies with my particular KP (which does have a weird issue) or with the lens. I tried it with the K1, but I don’t have the focus adjustment set right with it. So I’m not exactly a happy camper at the moment.
03-30-2020, 07:49 PM   #2061
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
These probably don’t belong in a best of anything thread. I’m really struggling with a new lens, the ergonomics are very difficult for me and even with a lot of adjustment, I don’t think I have the focus right yet (it’s close though). The lens front-focuses badly. If I hadn’t managed to put a small scratch in the lens hood, I would have sent it back before I realized just how much adjustment it needs.

I wouldn’t even process the photos of the last day I went out with it (two weeks ago) until yesterday. I guess some of them are all right - I’m curious to see the processed photos here and would love any reaction. Yes, I know that I’m a master of going to a beautiful location and taking a bunch of boring photos.

In any case, here are a couple of them.

I finally got around to doing something about finding a new photo hosting site, I’m fed up with zenfolio so I’m trying out Smugmug. It’s going to take some getting used to also.

I also used DxO PhotoLab 3 to process them, I find that LR sometimes does weird things to reds, oranges and yellows if you try to lighten them (some of these were under-exposed due to the influence of so much white rock - should have also paid more attention to that, too). DxO is less likely to do that, but I’m not that familiar with it. The lens is too new for any of the software programs to recognize it yet, so it’s listed as an unknown lens.

It’s not all that bad of a lens if everything comes together. But too often it doesn’t. It doesn’t play well with my KP and I don’t know if the fault lies with my particular KP (which does have a weird issue) or with the lens. I tried it with the K1, but I don’t have the focus adjustment set right with it. So I’m not exactly a happy camper at the moment.
What lens are you using?

FWIW, I use flickr, as a pro member I can upload full res, link to sites like this that then allows user to click images in the forum here that takes them to flickr to inspect closer and thus critique better. It's hard for me to judge the performance here as I'm stuck in a forum page, but it looks fine to me.
03-30-2020, 09:39 PM   #2062
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
What lens are you using?

FWIW, I use flickr, as a pro member I can upload full res, link to sites like this that then allows user to click images in the forum here that takes them to flickr to inspect closer and thus critique better. It's hard for me to judge the performance here as I'm stuck in a forum page, but it looks fine to me.
I’m using the DFA 70-210 f4. When things work, it’s nice, as these 2 photos show (these are processed, but the original files are pretty nice). But too many of the others are front focused, or I ended up with other issues because I struggle with the ergonomics so badly or else the lens just doesn’t play well with my KP (is that a lens, a camera or an operator problem? I don’t know, it could be any or all of the above).

The last day I shot with it at Valley of Fire, my intention was to upload the full resolution files to smug mug. Only I forgot to change the setting to raw+ which meant I was going to have to convert them anyway, I didn’t like many of them (lots of boring rock abstracts), so I gave up and just processed the ones I thought were reasonable using DxO as I normally do.

I will never be a good source for lens evaluation shots, and I know this isn’t the right spot to vent my frustration with the lens. Tomorrow I’m heading “home” to where I was Saturday so Wednesday I’ll try to take a deep breath and take the time to work harder at figuring out whether it’s the lens or my KP.

03-30-2020, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #2063
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m using the DFA 70-210 f4. When things work, it’s nice, as these 2 photos show (these are processed, but the original files are pretty nice). But too many of the others are front focused, or I ended up with other issues because I struggle with the ergonomics so badly or else the lens just doesn’t play well with my KP (is that a lens, a camera or an operator problem? I don’t know, it could be any or all of the above).

The last day I shot with it at Valley of Fire, my intention was to upload the full resolution files to smug mug. Only I forgot to change the setting to raw+ which meant I was going to have to convert them anyway, I didn’t like many of them (lots of boring rock abstracts), so I gave up and just processed the ones I thought were reasonable using DxO as I normally do.

I will never be a good source for lens evaluation shots, and I know this isn’t the right spot to vent my frustration with the lens. Tomorrow I’m heading “home” to where I was Saturday so Wednesday I’ll try to take a deep breath and take the time to work harder at figuring out whether it’s the lens or my KP.
I have seen good copies of this lens and bad ones. I'd speak to Pentax.

Good shots; DFA 70-210 | Flickr

Bad copy;

You could send both camera and lens to Pentax to evaluate.
03-31-2020, 04:56 AM   #2064
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
take the time to work harder at figuring out whether it’s the lens or my KP.
You might want to post to the Troubleshooting sub forum with examples of problems with exif info intact. It might not be an equipment issue. You mentioned ergonomics several times, but what about this lens is ergonomically different from other lenses? Also, re front focusing badly: was this after you made the required adjustments? If so, send it in under warranty.
03-31-2020, 08:29 PM - 6 Likes   #2065
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

03-31-2020, 09:52 PM - 1 Like   #2066
Veteran Member

Heavy crop at 300mm, kp+55-300plm. I haven’t been shooting much but I still love this camera and lens combo.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
04-01-2020, 01:57 AM   #2067
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pbancr Quote
What a beautiful capture!
Thank you
You must be lucky that the bird wants to pose
04-01-2020, 07:08 PM - 2 Likes   #2068
Pentaxian

Payson dusk, with the DA 55-300 PLM:

04-01-2020, 09:46 PM - 8 Likes   #2069
Veteran Member

Working in the veggie garden today....Tamron 90.

04-02-2020, 11:03 PM - 1 Like   #2070
Pentaxian