Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2017, 05:27 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
TCSTV Review of the KP

Bottom-line: the K-70 is a much better value, in Chris' opinion.

03-09-2017, 08:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well that was pretty lukewarm
03-09-2017, 11:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
No kidding, love my KP.
03-09-2017, 11:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I regard TCVS as one of the reviewers that give their honest opinion about the products that they review.

I will still wait until the product becomes available in my country (April, I guess) instead of ordering overseas, with that I can have my own personal experience whether should I pair my K-30 with this camera or not. It is good that they pointed out that it is somehow ideal to get the K-70 instead. Making the price of the KP is just a marketing ploy. Hmmmm,

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by wed7; 03-09-2017 at 11:20 PM.
03-09-2017, 11:59 PM - 1 Like   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
barely lukewarm.

i like the TCVS reviews, but they don't always mirror my experience with a particular camera. i figure i'm going to rent the KP and the PLM lens next month and i expect to have fun with it. i can't rent the K-70, which i really wanted to do, but i did rent the K-S2 which was pretty nice.
03-10-2017, 12:09 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Bottom-line: the K-70 is a much better value, in Chris' opinion.
That is a reasonable conclusion at current price points, though I still believe the KP is a more desirable camera aimed at a different market segment than the K-70.

Steve
03-10-2017, 12:55 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Some things are more than utility.
  1. Shutter, loud or quiet for instance.
  2. Magnesium alloy body vs plastic
  3. Standard DSLR styling vs semi-retro.

On the pure functional side the KP probably only has:
  1. 27 AF point system over 11
  2. Superior dust reduction
  3. Superior shake reduction;

over a K70.

Until proven otherwise the high iso is either equal or marginally better than K70.

Personally, when you have used one of the better bodies, using a K70, K50 type body is quite underwhelming. Also, I would find it very difficult going to the ancient 11 point AF system.

Against the K5 variants and original K3 it also gains:
  1. wifi;
  2. flip screen;
  3. pixel shift;

so depending on where you are currently placed the KP still has plenty to offer.

Howie Be

03-10-2017, 01:01 AM   #8
Forum Member

This fella, seems much more enamoured with the KP!

Mike Muizebelt PhotographyThe Pentax KP - a hands on review | My camera Travels | Mike Muizebelt Photography

The Small grip is of no use at all, in my honest opinion, I just couldn't imagine anyone with small enough hands that could actually lift a Camera finding it of any benefit. I'm not sure which of the other two will fit me best but they are definitely better than a bare X-T1 or X-T2, I actually prefer the handling of the KP to the K3, which is a suprise considering the K3 was what I was used to... (Have been a Fuji user for the last two years)
In my all too brief look at the KP I took to the three dial layout like a duck to water and forgot that there used to be an LCD there at all!
I'm getting one in to play with, I'm flogging some of my Fuji kit but keeping the X-Pro2 and the primes for Landscaping, I'll run the KP alongside, I have some current contractual agreements that preclude me from using the Pentax exclusively at the moment, I'm looking forward to seeing how it fares against the X-Pro, as I like the idea of two of em for my line of work, for some reason I didn't like the K1 at all...

Last edited by jules; 03-10-2017 at 01:04 AM. Reason: mistakes dohh!
03-10-2017, 02:45 AM   #9
Forum Member

I feel that the quiet shutter, new bracketing modes, superior autofocus, better meter, metal chassis and mostly metal outer, new control layout, interchangeable grips and the overall compactness of the body despite five axis stabilisation, set it apart fro mthe rest of the range.

Pre Brexit and pre pound collapse I'd say this body would have been Sub £1000 in the UK, which may have put a differing complexion on things? If stores over here run out of K70's and have to buy more in (Unlikely I know), we'll get a price hike and similarly with the K1, The K3 II is the current bargain and when that stock runs out it'll be replaced and it will priced a good bit above the KP and a little below the K1, which starts to take APSC into baseline FF pricepoints as with other brands, at which point it really will have to be outstanding in order to sell.
I'll be ordering one KP next week I reckon but I would like to see a deal with a lens, just to sweeten it a little

---------- Post added 03-10-2017 at 09:57 AM ----------

Good overview...

Pentax KP Review - Part One - Top Deck - The Digital Story

Pentax KP Review - Part Two - The Back Panel - The Digital Story

Last edited by jules; 03-10-2017 at 02:46 AM. Reason: spelling
03-10-2017, 04:17 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jules Quote
This fella, seems much more enamoured with the KP!

Mike Muizebelt PhotographyThe Pentax KP - a hands on review | My camera Travels | Mike Muizebelt Photography

The Small grip is of no use at all, in my honest opinion, I just couldn't imagine anyone with small enough hands that could actually lift a Camera finding it of any benefit. I'm not sure which of the other two will fit me best but they are definitely better than a bare X-T1 or X-T2, I actually prefer the handling of the KP to the K3, which is a suprise considering the K3 was what I was used to... (Have been a Fuji user for the last two years)
In my all too brief look at the KP I took to the three dial layout like a duck to water and forgot that there used to be an LCD there at all!
I'm getting one in to play with, I'm flogging some of my Fuji kit but keeping the X-Pro2 and the primes for Landscaping, I'll run the KP alongside, I have some current contractual agreements that preclude me from using the Pentax exclusively at the moment, I'm looking forward to seeing how it fares against the X-Pro, as I like the idea of two of em for my line of work, for some reason I didn't like the K1 at all...
Keep us in touch Jules. I am very eager about the new AF of the KP vs the new Fuji's.
03-10-2017, 06:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
Some things are more than utility.
  1. Shutter, loud or quiet for instance.
  2. Magnesium alloy body vs plastic
  3. Standard DSLR styling vs semi-retro.

On the pure functional side the KP probably only has:
  1. 27 AF point system over 11
  2. Superior dust reduction
  3. Superior shake reduction;

over a K70.

Until proven otherwise the high iso is either equal or marginally better than K70.

Personally, when you have used one of the better bodies, using a K70, K50 type body is quite underwhelming. Also, I would find it very difficult going to the ancient 11 point AF system.

Against the K5 variants and original K3 it also gains:
  1. wifi;
  2. flip screen;
  3. pixel shift;

so depending on where you are currently placed the KP still has plenty to offer.

Howie Be
Completely agree!
03-10-2017, 09:58 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pcake Quote
i figure i'm going to rent the KP and the PLM lens next month and i expect to have fun with it.
Bravo for making that effort to form your own opinion!

TCSTV lost me as a viewer with one too many "this camera has no reason to exist". If they can't figure out a reason, and I can, then I'm not their target audience.
03-10-2017, 10:26 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pcake Quote
barely lukewarm.

i like the TCVS reviews, but they don't always mirror my experience with a particular camera. i figure i'm going to rent the KP and the PLM lens next month and i expect to have fun with it. i can't rent the K-70, which i really wanted to do, but i did rent the K-S2 which was pretty nice.
Interesting, it's funny, he really got hung up on the grip and dials. Painful to watch them place it under an icy downspout!
03-10-2017, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Interesting comment about the pricing. If Pentax does end up releasing a true K-3II replacement, it's probably going to be in the +-$1,800 range. The AF on that camera better be pretty damn good if they plan on selling a lot of them. I do wonder what Pentax is up to with that future camera. Hmmm.......
03-10-2017, 10:58 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Interesting comment about the pricing. If Pentax does end up releasing a true K-3II replacement, it's probably going to be in the +-$1,800 range. The AF on that camera better be pretty damn good if they plan on selling a lot of them. I do wonder what Pentax is up to with that future camera. Hmmm.......
Why would you suggest $1800? That's the same price as the K-1, and $700 more than the KP.