Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2017, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Why would you suggest $1800? That's the same price as the K-1, and $700 more than the KP.
No kidding. Maybe $1,300 or $1,400. Split the difference.

[EDIT] $1,800CDN or $1,800USD?

Last edited by monochrome; 03-11-2017 at 07:42 AM.
03-10-2017, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And the AF will be incrementally better, but still worse than a $2000 Nikon or Canon, and therefore unusable.
03-11-2017, 07:14 AM - 3 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I thought the review was reasonably fair. As a K-100D Super shooter who upgraded to a K-5II a few years ago - I put Pentax cameras through good use before re-investing in a new body. The KP's sensor is appealing as is PLM functionality. The hands-on review will make me wait for a true K-3II replacement (or buy a K-3II at a steal when the replacement comes out). It also means that this spring I'll buy a new lens instead of a new body. You can never go wrong with great glass!
03-11-2017, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

The KP is what is is. A strange hybrid between K-70 and K-3 with K-1 controls. Better AF than K-70 but lame buffer (only 8 raws before it is full). Somehow a new class of dslr.
Chris was a bit harsh about ISO performance not being much better than the K-70 because that is already almost class leading together with the Nikon D500 (if DXO-mark would bother to test it, which they won't people would know that).

03-11-2017, 09:21 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Why KP, K-70, and K-S2? I mean what's the point? Why not have your APS-C Flagship like the K-3 II and ONE beginner's camera. It's all a bit too confusing if you ask me.
03-11-2017, 09:29 AM   #21
Pentaxian

K-S2 is an older model. The predecessor to the K-70. KP is another experiment like the K-01 and the K-S1
03-11-2017, 09:47 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
K-S2 is an older model. The predecessor to the K-70. KP is another experiment like the K-01 and the K-S1
I only included the K-S2 because it has not been discontinued yet. bhphotovideo still has it in stock.

03-11-2017, 09:57 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Yeah older medium class models get relegated to entry level when a new medium class arrives.
03-11-2017, 10:38 AM - 2 Likes   #24
Veteran Member

Opinions after more then 1000 shots with the KP

I have the silver model, like in the test and I have the 55-300PLM. I agree with Chris in these things:
-The grip isn't as comfortable as other Pentax DSLRs. Only the large one is usabel.
-The line at the prism looks and feels cheap.
-The camera is overpriced, but I think it not marginaly better then K-70 and not that overpriced as Chris concludes.
-It would be nice to be able to set up the third dial as a main dial, but I didn't realy missed it. I missed the ability to set up it for changing the minimum shutter speed lmit at auto ISO.
-The live view switch could be more comfortable.

I don't agree with Chris (after taking approx 1300 images with it):
-The third dial. I turned it on the first day some times accidentally, but after the third day it was perfect. (I had similar initial problem with the AF button and the green button.)
-The "marginal high iso performance gain" is not marginal. It's similar to the K-3 to K-70 step I think. (I don't have the K-70, I only pixelpeeped images in reviews)
-The new SR mechanism is amazing

The AF is improved by much, see my post here:
Pentax KP Continous focus test - PentaxForums.com

The new SR is realy amazing I can hand hold easily the 55-300PLM@300mm with 1/30s or the DA* 50-135 with 1/10s! This is really 5 stops from the 1/(2*focal length) rule.

The things you get over the K-70 is:
-Silent shutter
-Shutter speed limiter
-Better shake reduction
-Better high ISO performance
-Working 3D tracking AF
-Program lines
-Configurable buttons and function dial
-Option for a grip
-Wireless flash controller mode on board
-A lighter wallet to compensate the magnesium alloy body

And the things missing from a high-end body:
-Top lcd
-AE lock button next to the AF button
-AF area selector button
-200'000-300'000 cycle rated shutter
-IR control (and Image sync app is realy bad.)
-More lighter wallet...
03-11-2017, 10:55 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Why KP, K-70, and K-S2? I mean what's the point? Why not have your APS-C Flagship like the K-3 II and ONE beginner's camera. It's all a bit too confusing if you ask me.
Not really. Have you looked at Canon's DSLR lineup

K-S2 is out of the picture

So it's:
- K-70 Lower tier - Enthusiast level
- KP Mid tier - geared toward Limited shooters
- K-3iii Flagship

Price, feature set and performance go up accordingly.
03-11-2017, 11:07 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
And the AF will be incrementally better, but still worse than a $2000 Nikon or Canon, and therefore unusable.
Correct, if AF isn't as good as NIKON, it's unusable. Ricoh better have a thick skin.
03-11-2017, 11:19 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
I have the silver model, like in the test and I have the 55-300PLM. I agree with Chris in these things: -The grip isn't as comfortable as other Pentax DSLRs. Only the large one is usabel.
Thanks for the write-up.

Is this in reference to the small grip on the 55-300 or do you think it is uncomfortable in general.

I always imagined the small grip for the Limited primes, particularly the pancakes.
The medium grip for the 20-40. The large grip for conventional zooms.
Obviously that's simplistic, but that is how i would see myself using it.
03-11-2017, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Have you looked at Canon's DSLR lineup
Yea...ridiculous. They obviously have more money than they know what to do with. If you've ever tested their ti models in the store they feel like cheap plastic toy crap. Their lenses aren't much better either. Pentax is wayyyyy better in their beginner offering as far as ruggedness and overall build quality.
03-11-2017, 11:45 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Is this in reference to the small grip on the 55-300 or do you think it is uncomfortable in general.
I'am using the 16-50 and 50-135 as my main lenses on digital bodies, and I have only few small lenses, plus I have big hands. Now I compared the KP + DA 50 F1.8 with small grip to my MZ-5n + F 50 F1.7 + battery grip combo. The MZ-5n is much more comfortable. So I think the small grip is uncomfortable in general. The medium is much better, that works with small lenses, but there is the large one, wich is much smaller then the K-30's grip and gives more stability then medium grip, so why wold you use the medium one? Also consider if you bring only one big lens you should also bring one plus grip and change in the field if you make more than a few images in a row.
So finally I think only the large is reasonable for users with large hands. The medium is considerable for some users, but I doesen't recommend it.
03-11-2017, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
I have the silver model, like in the test and I have the 55-300PLM. I agree with Chris in these things:
-The grip isn't as comfortable as other Pentax DSLRs. Only the large one is usabel.
-The line at the prism looks and feels cheap.
-The camera is overpriced, but I think it not marginaly better then K-70 and not that overpriced as Chris concludes.
-It would be nice to be able to set up the third dial as a main dial, but I didn't realy missed it. I missed the ability to set up it for changing the minimum shutter speed lmit at auto ISO.
-The live view switch could be more comfortable.

I don't agree with Chris (after taking approx 1300 images with it):
-The third dial. I turned it on the first day some times accidentally, but after the third day it was perfect. (I had similar initial problem with the AF button and the green button.)
-The "marginal high iso performance gain" is not marginal. It's similar to the K-3 to K-70 step I think. (I don't have the K-70, I only pixelpeeped images in reviews)
-The new SR mechanism is amazing

The AF is improved by much, see my post here:
Pentax KP Continous focus test - PentaxForums.com

The new SR is realy amazing I can hand hold easily the 55-300PLM@300mm with 1/30s or the DA* 50-135 with 1/10s! This is really 5 stops from the 1/(2*focal length) rule.

The things you get over the K-70 is:
-Silent shutter
-Shutter speed limiter
-Better shake reduction
-Better high ISO performance
-Working 3D tracking AF
-Program lines
-Configurable buttons and function dial
-Option for a grip
-Wireless flash controller mode on board
-A lighter wallet to compensate the magnesium alloy body

And the things missing from a high-end body:
-Top lcd
-AE lock button next to the AF button
-AF area selector button
-200'000-300'000 cycle rated shutter
-IR control (and Image sync app is realy bad.)
-More lighter wallet...
I don't have a KP, so take the following accordingly:

I suspect the two smaller grips will feel familiar to users of film cameras such as SUPERPROGRAM (#1) and LX (#2) and those who hold a camera with two hands. Users who are accustomed to a large grip, who carry a camera and shoot with their right hand alone will find even #3 uncomfortable.

Given KP design is derivative (not truly retro) I appreciate the grip idea and were I to buy one I would intentionally use the various grips for the joy of it.