Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2017, 09:48 AM - 9 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

AF-C Examples with KP (pic heavy thread)

I took the KP out to the local pond to see how it handles continuous autofocus.
I was hindered by 2 facts:
1) I am not very good at this type of shooting. I just don't do it very often.
2) I was using the HD 55-300mm. Not the new PLM one which is supposedly fast. This lens is very "pedestrian" (putting it mildly) when it comes to AF performance. If I were to do this more often, I would definitely step up to the 150-450 or the 70-200.

Having said that, it actually worked out pretty well In fact, I think it tracks better than both my K-1 and K-3II.
I used Sel 9, Focus Priority, Hold Medium.
As you can see below, the camera held up pretty well. I missed critical focus on the eye in some instances, but I think that is more technique on my part and lens selection.

03-16-2017, 09:55 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you did an excellent job! Those look very good to me
03-16-2017, 10:30 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Certainly better than I've ever done--I might have to take AF-C for a spin myself.
03-16-2017, 01:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Very impressive!! I also have the DA 55-300mm f/3.5-5.8 HD WR and I am very happy with its performance. Your very fine shots with the KP indicate that it's possibilities had not previously been realized. I am looking forward to its use when I obtain my KP. This older lens has some things going for it compared with the recent model. It has a faster aperture, and can hold to f/3.5-4.5 out to 200mm with very good quality. That's only about one stop difference from a big, heavy 70-200mm f/2.8, FF lens which has less zoom range. It has a large focus turning circle, which slows it up some when going quickly from near to far distance, but that extra turning circle is better for manual-focus fine tuning. The new one probably has a shorter focus turn and internal focus, which may be faster and maintain holding balance better, but it compromises manual focus and in reducing focal length at shorter distances.

Your very fine-quality images certainly speak very highly of the KP! I have long believed the APS-C digital format has advantages for tele use over full frame as its imaging quality has advanced, while full frame has advantages for wide angle to short tele. The further advancements in image quality already shown in the KP, along with its excellent features and lighter carrying, I think present great appeal for a wide variety of uses! Good job in nailing those fine shots!

03-16-2017, 08:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Great photos! The HD 55-300 non PLM really worked well with the KP, I am needless to say VERY impressed. Wonderful shots sure shows what Pentax is capable of with a good photographer behind the camera. I think you got some really awesome photos. Thanks for sharing!
03-17-2017, 08:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Okay, I'm impressed. That performance looks almost good enough for full time AF in video too.

Looking up the lens,... that's Screw Drive? So, slower movement the PLM is supposed to be capable of.... This is actually pretty darn good news.
03-17-2017, 07:57 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Where are all the Pentax AF skeptics? We have a little Cognitive Dissonance going on in the Forum.

03-18-2017, 03:05 AM - 1 Like   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Where are all the Pentax AF skeptics? We have a little Cognitive Dissonance going on in the Forum.
I agree. I'm just waiting for one of them to argue that the OP pre-focused ahead of the bird. There's always an answer or argument from those who don't want to believe...
03-18-2017, 04:35 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Well, and it's not done with the DFA150-450 that has the better AF tracking capability of the line. I was considering selling my TC and getting a KP as a travel cam and to replace the K3 that I sold to pay for the K1... I like the silent shutter of the KP, but the depth of buffer holds me back. I'm waiting for the next Pentax apsc. In the meantime I'll use K1 crop mode.
03-18-2017, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I agree. I'm just waiting for one of them to argue that the OP pre-focused ahead of the bird.
Most likely the OP is a dove hunter too.
"Exaggerate your lead: Overshoot like you’re going to miss. You’ll shoot at most doves as they cross in front of you."

03-18-2017, 11:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Outstanding job Cali92rs with your new KP! Oh yeah, I guess "Pentax isn't DOOMED" after all....
03-18-2017, 12:33 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If APS-C is your thing, I think Pentax is heads and shoulders above the competition.
03-18-2017, 01:10 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looking very good!! Methinks you are having lots of fun
03-18-2017, 03:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
If APS-C is your thing, I think Pentax is heads and shoulders above the competition.
I agree. APS-C is a nice format way better image quality than phones, and P&S, but still manageable size wise.
03-18-2017, 05:02 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I took the KP out to the local pond to see how it handles continuous autofocus.
I was hindered by 2 facts:
1) I am not very good at this type of shooting. I just don't do it very often.
2) I was using the HD 55-300mm. Not the new PLM one which is supposedly fast. This lens is very "pedestrian" (putting it mildly) when it comes to AF performance. If I were to do this more often, I would definitely step up to the 150-450 or the 70-200.

Having said that, it actually worked out pretty well In fact, I think it tracks better than both my K-1 and K-3II.
I used Sel 9, Focus Priority, Hold Medium.
As you can see below, the camera held up pretty well. I missed critical focus on the eye in some instances, but I think that is more technique on my part and lens selection.
Very, very nice! Now, of course, if you can cross-post to all the threads where Canikon and Sony/Fuji fans like to tell the rest of us that Pentax AF is no good, that would be great!