Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2017, 12:02 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
How well does the KP handle PTTL Flash?

I might seem strange for asking about using the KP with a high-end flash that supports PTTL and HSS - a large flash would seem an unlikely fit on a smaller camera that some readers think is meant for use with Limited lenses.

That said, the KP is the most recent Pentax camera available, and Pentaxians are considering its implementation of Ricoh's technologies and looking forward to seeing those in the anticipated replacement for the K-3 II, so it makes sense for me to ask whether the KP exhibits issues with the handling of PTTL that affect earlier bodies.

One flaw is overexposure in bounce mode, as seen with the K-S2 and the K70. When I replaced my broken K30 with a K-S2, I had to change the settings I use with my PTTL flash, and I would like to know whether the KP requires the approach that I adopted.

The other flaw is a delay in the operation of the K-3 and the K-3 II when shooting through the OVF; Pentax reduced the delay with the release of Version 1.21 firmware for the K-3, but some cameras continued to have problems with this that were not present with earlier bodies.

Perhaps the Pentax Forums review of the KP could take a careful look at the camera's handling of PTTL.

04-18-2017, 10:28 AM   #2

I have an old AF540 which does not perform well on my K3ii but works great on my KP.
05-25-2017, 04:18 AM   #3
f22

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've used my Metz 64 AF-1 on my KP, which I originally bought to use on my K-50. It works flawlessly on the KP. It does support HSS, slow-speed synch, PTTL, Trailing Curtain 1st & 2nd, full manual, and Remote triggering using the built in flash as the trigger. I'd suggest downloading the catalog for it to see all the functions it supports and I've tested each one and can attest they work as designed on the KP and K-50.

Last edited by f22; 05-25-2017 at 04:24 AM.
05-29-2017, 02:44 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
KP with the Metz 64 much better than the K-S2 with the Metz 64. HSS I use a lot outside, no complains so far. With the K-S2 I often needed to switch the flash to manual mode, which is rarely needed with the KP. Also slave mode trigger is great, which I was missing on the K-S2.