Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
03-26-2017, 09:37 AM - 9 Likes   #1

Freestyle motocross. My first action shots wtih Pentax KP

On Thursday I finally got my long awaited Pentax KP. Yesterday evening I paired it with Pentax DA* 60-250. Here some of my shots come.

Event: Diverse Night of the Jumps, Krakow Tauron Arena

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
03-26-2017, 09:45 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Really excellent series of shots! Nice and clean, too...

Looks like it was a fun and impressive event!
03-26-2017, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Impressive action shots. Well done.

Looks like you were able to get quite close to the action. Some of those riders, esp quadbike guy, look as if they could easily have landed right on top of you.
03-26-2017, 12:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots.

03-26-2017, 01:36 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I agree! Impressive shooting. I have to ask, did you pre-focus or are those AF shots? If AF, what settings?

Steve
03-26-2017, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
All, thanks for your positive feedback!

Regarding the AF: all the photos are taken using AF.C and optical view finder. To be frank AF.C was one of the reasons I was so excited about that event as I wanted to verify how much KP AF it is better over K-5ii AF. Unfortunately I have never been shooting exactly this kind of event before with K-5ii BUT I feel like KP AF is vastly improved over the older SAFOX generation. Do not get me wrong - it is not perfect. But what I am saying is that KP really does some tracking especially in contrast with K-5ii for which it was hunting here and there to get some shot "accidentaly". Unfortunately I have never been shooting with K-3 generation so I cannot comment on differences with that one.

More details on AF settings: AF.C, AUTO 27, focus priority for both first and each next one, hold AF status - max (not sure if any other setting would change anything here); burst mode: continuous mode high. One note for continuous shooting with focus priority: definitely not 7 FPS, it was more like 3 to 5 FPS. SR was off.

And to describe better what I was shooting and how AF was working: I was shooting more or less perpendicularly to the line those guys were flying, say from 45 degree to the left to 45 degree to the right. So the distance was like ... hmmm .... 10 to 50 meters from me. More or less... I think I was pretty lucky to get a seat in 4th row.

Some other settings: ISO 1600, time priority and 1/500 sec. The pictures were a bit undersexposed with F4 but that is not an issue for DNG format and good software nowadays.
Now I feel like I should have been trying even faster shutter speed but I did not want to boost ISO even more. The problem with me is that I have rather shaky hands and with my K-5ii I used to wonder if SR in my cam is broken... this does not help when shooting action and panning

Last edited by apete; 03-26-2017 at 03:18 PM.
03-26-2017, 11:13 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Amazing shots my friend! Even makes me want to reconsider the KP. I wish I could see more of these.

Thank you for the details too.

03-27-2017, 08:49 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
IMPRESSIVE shots!
03-27-2017, 11:43 AM   #9

Great IQ, Great Capture

Those pics tell a good story and suggest that the auto focus is pretty effective. I've yet to find a camera that has perfect or even near perfect auto focus. I tried the Canon 7DMII in December 2016 and the hit rate was pretty poor - 4 out of 5 had soft focus using a tele zoom lens. I have the brilliant Sony a6000 that is renown for sharp focus and I've no problem with it per se but nothing can be always guaranteed. IQ here strikes me as well above the competition but I sense that this was assisted by the use of the appropriate sharp lens. I'm interested in trying the KP out - when it becomes available!
03-27-2017, 01:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe still not as good at AF tracking as Nikon's upper tier, but in the right hands, apparently the KP is very competent! A meaningful step forward. We should also not ignore the capability of the SDM AF of the DA* 60-250mm. It looks like there are differences between SDM lenses regarding AF speed also, and the new KP allowed this lens to function up to its potential.

One question: from what I have read, JPEGs are usually faster than RAW when shooting fast moving subjects in burst mode, etc. so I am wondering if your shots were done as JPEGs.

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-27-2017 at 01:47 PM.
03-27-2017, 06:07 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Maybe still not as good at AF tracking as Nikon's upper tier, but in the right hands, apparently the KP is very competent! A meaningful step forward. We should also not ignore the capability of the SDM AF of the DA* 60-250mm. It looks like there are differences between SDM lenses regarding AF speed also, and the new KP allowed this lens to function up to its potential.

One question: from what I have read, JPEGs are usually faster than RAW when shooting fast moving subjects in burst mode, etc. so I am wondering if your shots were done as JPEGs.
"Some other settings: ISO 1600, time priority and 1/500 sec. The pictures were a bit undersexposed with F4 but that is not an issue for DNG format and good software nowadays."

So my best guess is that those were done with RAW.
03-28-2017, 02:14 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really great shots. Thank You for sharing!
Enjoyed seeing them.
03-28-2017, 09:55 AM   #13

Original Poster
Gee! I did not expect that, thanks a milion for your kind words! Attaching more photos, enjoy

BTW, yes, I did shoot in DNG as I feel like it gives more control over dark/white areas.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
03-30-2017, 05:17 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm most impressed with these images. What would you say was the percentage of keepers in terms of sharp focus?
03-30-2017, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #15

There's clearly a problem with the camera. Most of the pictures seem to have come out upside down.

Ok, nobody laughed
Those are really impressive shots indeed!