Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 47 Likes Search this Thread
03-27-2017, 08:07 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax KP - Review by Digital Photography Review

Pentax KP Review: Digital Photography Review
QuoteOriginally posted by Samuel Spencer, Digital Photography Review:
In many ways the Pentax KP reminds us of the Olympus PEN-F. It offers a step forward in image quality, and manages to be a stylish, well-made object of desire that may be worth the extra price to some.

Also like the PEN-F, the autofocus on the KP prevents us from falling head-over-heels in love. AF-C can be downright frustrating at times, and leaves us recommending the D7200 over the KP for those interested in fast-paced shooting situations. When used within the AF system's limitations the KP's excellent sensor and IBIS provide sharpness and detail in situations where others would struggle.

The improvements on the 'Function Dial' and incredible high ISO performance make the KP one of the best Pentax cameras, period. The slightly higher price and different ergonomics don't make it the better choice over the K-3 II for every shooter, but Pentax fans looking for the right camera to go with their favorite prime (35mm Macro anyone?) may have found it with the KP.

03-27-2017, 08:34 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your quoted text sounds (at last) reasonable.
03-27-2017, 10:31 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

They seem to have messed up on the price comparisons a little... They show the K-3II as $1099, the same as the KP - but the K-3II is readily available for less than $900...

Otherwise, a very fair review
03-27-2017, 12:38 PM - 12 Likes   #4

QuoteQuote:
Not so good for
Photographers looking for cutting-edge AF-C performance, or a camera for telephoto sports shooting
Shame on me I did not know that!

03-27-2017, 12:47 PM - 6 Likes   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by apete Quote
The camera appears to be taking photos upside down, though. Surely that's a negative point against the KP?!
03-27-2017, 02:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is really a selfie by the rider- his hand is extended out holding the camera!
03-27-2017, 02:59 PM   #7
KDD
Veteran Member

Curious. Do you believe in DPReview???

03-27-2017, 03:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How stingy- from what I saw of the other cameras, it would have made the gold award if it was 83%. Even if the AF tracking being not quite as good as some others, with its acknowledged build quality, great low-noise performance and its useful, unique design and control features found nowhere else, they should have given compensatory credit enough for at least one more point up to the 83%!

They state that the tool for changing the grips is not supplied (perhaps accidentally omitted?). It would be strange if in supplying the needed kit for this unique feature, that it would be without the needed tool for it to function! Even stranger that this unique and useful feature would be designed and offered as a selling point, yet not included at all in some countries!!

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-27-2017 at 03:17 PM.
03-27-2017, 03:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
They state that the tool for changing the grips is not supplied (perhaps accidentally omitted?)
Mine came with one, it was in with the manual, etc.
Maybe they didn't look at the manual.
03-27-2017, 03:43 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Maybe they didn't look at the manual.
Come on, Bob.
They don't want to know how to use it...

... they are just reviewing it.
03-27-2017, 04:25 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is unclear at this point whether the KP at default is under-sharpened or over-sharpened. The Imaging Resource report of the K-70 indicated it was over-sharpening which smudged detail, but was correctable the same way as the with the KP- by employing "fine" sharpening. It will be interesting to see the Imaging Resource full review of the KP when it comes out.
03-27-2017, 04:40 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
They seem to have messed up on the price comparisons a little... They show the K-3II as $1099, the same as the KP - but the K-3II is readily available for less than $900...

Otherwise, a very fair review
They also close the review listing KP at $1,199, same as D7200. It's a shame they can't get these details correct because the review is essentially accurate and the tone and use of non-charged language is so much better than recent history.
03-27-2017, 05:59 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by apete Quote
Just send that to DPR with a
03-27-2017, 07:45 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
They also close the review listing KP at $1,199, same as D7200. It's a shame they can't get these details correct because the review is essentially accurate and the tone and use of non-charged language is so much better than recent history.
I too seem to think that DPR has mellowed their tone on Pentax for this review.

Perhaps they have woken to the new reality that the camera market (and big advertisers like Canikon) has dwindled down and they need to encompass a wider camera user/reader base to stay relevant.
03-27-2017, 08:00 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FWIW, I also think it was a very decent review. There's now a bunch of different people in the team, with different mindsets. That's a good thing.

It's just a pity we haven't got access to more PLM lenses at this point, as that would probably have changed some of the AF comments. The reviewer also commented on this.
Also, they used some great APS-C lenses (the DA35, 16-85, 20-40, Sigma 18-35 amongst them), for their samples. Plus 1 for me.

Really, they are behind on only video and AF at this point, plus a bit of weight. The JPGs are not class leading, but OK.

The weather-sealing and RAW malleability might do it for me over the X-T20.