Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2018, 09:58 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by conradj Quote
hm. i find myself agreeing with the OP as to the K-P's AF. It seems more picky abt which lenses it likes, compared to the K-7 and K-5. i've a couple lenses including the Tammy 17-50 that it doesn't take to, which the other bodies are fine with.

In very low light with lenses it doesn't like, when i press the AF button often it'll sit and think for an instant before starting up the AF motor. Focus accuracy is more off the wider the lens (and thus the smaller the bits are in the frame that i want it to focus on).

And with these lenses in these low light situations it'll also tend to focus on higher contrast transitions that're not directly under the central spot focus point.
Is it's 'pickiness' related to maximum lens opening?? I believe a MILC uses amplified light to focus, but a DSLR uses light straight through the lens.

06-15-2018, 01:59 PM   #32
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
@Labidas, I said no such thing.

Feel free to correct me, but you don't seem to understand either cameras or music photography.

A PDAF system of any brand will latch onto the strongest line under a focus point. It's up to you to make sure it's the target, not the background or foreground - microphones are notorious for getting in the way of a singer's face, at sports events it's fences and signage.

I have used the K-30 (even older than your K-50) and the K-1 for lots of low light events and concerts. Here are my pics, if I can take 'em, you can, but there is a skillset involved which is why forum members like Kenspo are paid to do what they do:
I confused you with Clarkey. He was talking about changing LV focus area size.
K50 is the same as a K30(I owned one). I had no issues with shots like these. I had issues when the subjects were further away in front of a crazy background. Skillset, yeah, give me a break.

Here's a shot. Looking at it zoomed out, everything is fine. Zoom in and you'll see the focus is on the background trees, not the on the kids. Now think how big the focus indicators are on the K50. It covers half a kid. Doesn't matter where I put the focus, it would pick randomly, mostly the background. You can talk about picking lines etc, but when the lines are small, you can't pick anything (with a K50).

"Feel free to correct me, but you don't seem to understand either cameras or music photography" back to you.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
06-15-2018, 03:21 PM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by labidas Quote
K50 is the same as a K30(I owned one). I had no issues with shots like these. I had issues when the subjects were further away in front of a crazy background. Skillset, yeah, give me a break.

Here's a shot. Looking at it zoomed out, everything is fine. Zoom in and you'll see the focus is on the background trees, not the on the kids. Now think how big the focus indicators are on the K50. It covers half a kid. Doesn't matter where I put the focus, it would pick randomly, mostly the background. You can talk about picking lines etc, but when the lines are small, you can't pick anything (with a K50).

"Feel free to correct me, but you don't seem to understand either cameras or music photography" back to you.
?

If there was difficulty I would have focused on the base of the xylophone or the stage floor edge, letting depth of field cover the faces in front and behind that plane.

For an individual figure, the collar of their shirt can be the proxy for a little round eyeball, it's about the same distance from the lens unlike a microphone.

Labidas, your technique just *has* to get better than that.

If you're doing wildlife, with branches in front and behind, they're such strong lines you have to manually focus on a little bird.

Last edited by clackers; 06-15-2018 at 03:27 PM.
06-15-2018, 04:09 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I had issues when the subjects were further away in front of a crazy background. Skillset, yeah, give me a break.
Zoom in and you'll see the focus is on the background trees, not the on the kids. Now think how big the focus indicators are on the K50
it would pick randomly, mostly the background
First thing to understand is that the actual focus area is bigger than the focus indicator. If you put the focus indicator covering a face with high contrast background behind them you are probably going to get focus on the background.

Do some tests at home to understand the real focusing area. This will help immensely I think.

I completely agree with Clackers.

For this scene I probably would have focused on the blue and white striped dress (the PDAF sensor loves hard contrasty lines like this) and let DOF cover everything else.
Going for a face of a kid on the back row with trees behind is the last place I would attempt to focus.

06-15-2018, 06:40 PM   #35
Veteran Member

You are also in that horror zone where if you want the DOF you would need to stop down more and if only using stage lighting, your ISO becomes unmanageable.

---------- Post added 06-15-18 at 06:47 PM ----------

I think Clacker's photos kind of proved his point, didn't they? You came hard in your initial post with the claim that the K-3II and KP were cameras with lousy auto focus when you have not even shown you have used one. He was being somewhat tongue in cheek and really wasn't attacking you, but it sounded kind of defensive when you responded, especially after he showed examples of what a K-50 can do. BTW The KP is much more capable than the K-50. I loved my K-50 but my KP is simply amazing.
06-15-2018, 09:13 PM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

I would agree that Clackers' photo samples show that proper user technique will provide detail in images. I also know that my K-3 II AF system is very efficient when using it along with proper settings and technique. If a user can adapt to a situation as best as possible, usually a desired outcome can be reached.

Last edited by C_Jones; 06-16-2018 at 09:49 AM.
06-26-2018, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
with 50-135 SDM

06-30-2018, 04:08 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Did you have a feeling, that AF point is, say not aligned? Not big or small, simply not aligned....

Отправлено с моего Redmi 3 через Tapatalk