Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2017, 01:31 AM   #1
Forum Member

Need a wideish strap for my KP...

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

What are you guys using, and how do you rate it? Not too expensive, preferably leather and or fabric and retro looking like the KP but not an optech or anything else neoprene because they are just too sweaty for me! Stumped here in the UK can't find anything at a reasonable price, I can go to about fifty quid but that has to be it.
Can't seem to get the wide straps from Ricoh here at the moment either, everyone seems to be out of stock, any ideas chaps???

03-28-2017, 03:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nikon? Canon?
03-28-2017, 07:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm using a peak-design slide strap for both K1 or K5IIs but it's not retro styled. I'm happy with it.
03-28-2017, 07:40 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

do you want to try Ebay??

here is a quick search on its UK site

wide camera strap | eBay

03-28-2017, 07:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Check Ebay as there are usually numerous wide straps on there. Another alternative is to modify a guitar strap.

Edit: I see Allen just beat me to it!
03-28-2017, 07:46 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
Check Ebay as there are usually numerous wide straps on there. Another alternative is to modify a guitar strap.

Edit: I see Allen just beat me to it!
yeah I saw the OP had ruled out my Opt/tech USA set up so I went to the Ebay UK site and posted a quick search result

didn't beat you by much

I would urge the OP to try a sling set up, around the neck and across the body may be more comfortable than two straps hanging straight down from the neck. It always has been for me

YMMV
03-28-2017, 08:13 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Searched the bay suprisingly little that floats my boat tbh, found a couple of nice ones on etsy and so might give them a tickle.
You have and forgive the pun Peak-ed my interest with the sling idea, I must admit to never having used one, do they play ok while carrying a camea rucksack? I have a couple of manfrotto offroads and use the camera strap on those to take the weight off my neck or the op-tech quick release straps connected to the webbing. Always open to suggestions here, the weight spreading properties of a sling are likely much better than a neckstrap and so appeals to me. Thanks for all the replies so far, all useful!

03-28-2017, 09:14 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i'm happy with my domke gripper 1.5". it's not as comfortable as a cheaper wide neoprene strap i bought, but the neoprene one fell apart in 6 months or so. the domke has quick releases, and no logo... i expect it to last until ff cameras are 200mp. they have other widths too.
03-28-2017, 09:19 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Couch Designs
Camera Shoulder Strap | Camera Shoulder Straps | Custom Camera Straps

You'll need some hardware - rings etc. but they're retro, for sure. Originally guitar straps, they're using the leftover material for camera straps. Some remind me of the old 70s vintage straps my Dad had.
03-28-2017, 09:22 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jules Quote
Searched the bay suprisingly little that floats my boat tbh, found a couple of nice ones on etsy and so might give them a tickle.
You have and forgive the pun Peak-ed my interest with the sling idea, I must admit to never having used one, do they play ok while carrying a camea rucksack? I have a couple of manfrotto offroads and use the camera strap on those to take the weight off my neck or the op-tech quick release straps connected to the webbing. Always open to suggestions here, the weight spreading properties of a sling are likely much better than a neckstrap and so appeals to me. Thanks for all the replies so far, all useful!
I have the optech/usa utility strap and if I carry a back pack or other camera bag as well I put them on first and then the optech. If the other thing is a camera bag I sling it over the opposite shoulder and then the optech sling

Not pretty but it works for me

There are several threads talking about this stuff that may be of interest

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/34276...ml#post3953560

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/319858-handgrip-d-bg6.html#post3951064

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/29-welcomes-introductions/342318-hi-dslr...ml#post3948788

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-28-2017 at 10:44 AM.
03-28-2017, 09:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Local strap here in Philippines

This one would be good for the KP.
GOUACHE CAMERA STRAP IN RED – Gouache Waxed Canvas & Leather Goods

GOUACHE CAMERA STRAP IN SEA GREEN – Gouache Waxed Canvas & Leather Goods
03-28-2017, 01:30 PM   #12

For now I am using this noname one. What I like about this strap is that it is veeeery soft. Though I think it is available locally here only and not in UK... So just giving some clue.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 

Last edited by apete; 03-28-2017 at 01:36 PM.
03-28-2017, 01:51 PM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a K 3 and K 5 II both set up as follows:

my full set up is a Opt/tech USA Utility strap

OP/TECH USA Utility Strap-Sling

OP/TECH USA Utility Strap-Sling (X-Large,&nbspBlack) 3501262

plus a Joby Pro Series Hand Grip with UltraPlate

Joby Pro Series Hand Grip with UltraPlate 208 for DSLR JB01349

plus Joby Camera Tether for Pro Sling Strap

Joby Camera Tether for Pro Sling Strap JB01307 B&H Photo Video

both the hand strap and the utility strap are fastened to the top right attachment of my K 3 and K 5 II cameras and the ultra plate is attached to the battery grip

Grips (Genuine Pentax) - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

that is attached to the base of the cameras.

the camera tether is attached to the top left attachment for extra security.

I use the hand strap to keep the camera from swinging too much as it hangs off my right hip and to lessen the weight on my shoulder/neck as necessary. I some times carry the "big guy" the HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW

Read more at: Pentax D FA Zoom Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I can quickly detach the sling if I want

I can replace the battery on my battery grip without any problems, to get to the camera body battery I need to detach the battery grip.

it works for me YMMV

[I listed B & H only because of the deal members can get when buying from them - check with Adam for current details]

You mentioned you didn't like the Op/Tech slings but you might be able to utilize their attachment systems to the strap of your choice and work out a similar system if you were so inclined.

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-28-2017 at 01:57 PM.
03-28-2017, 02:08 PM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

here are some photos of my set up minus the tether, my thumb is tucked under the hand strap to make it easier to see in the first photo, I have the Pentax 16 - 85 mm zoom attached to the K 3.

the second and third photos shows the "big guy" attached to the K 3 as well
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
03-28-2017, 02:28 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lucky Straps Lucky Camera Straps | Leather Camera Straps, Australia Made. The best gift for Photographers

I have a slim 30 on my spottie f Introduce your... film Pentax! - Page 218 - PentaxForums.com

They have wider, the 40 and 53 types under products, I plan on getting some for my other cameras in time. They also offer embossing.