Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2017, 02:47 AM   #1
Forum Member

KP - Alternative to a Fuji X?

I guess this is potentially aimed at anyone who had shot with a "3rd Generation" Fuji X camera (X-Pro 2 or XT2) and the KP.
I'm a fairly recent convert to Pentax having picked up a K1 and 24-70 at Christmas and I'm loving shooting with it but sometimes a smaller body would be nice.
I previously had a Fuji X-Pro 2 & XT2 and have considered another one of those as a smaller, lighter companion but then the KP appeared.
On the face of it size wise its little bigger than either of the Fuji's and I'm sure that the image quality is going to be similar if not the same.
A KP and some small primes looks like it would be a nice small, lighter kit when the K1 isn't neccesarily needed, for example when travelling and also opens up access to a few of the Pentax primes and zooms which aren't full frame compatible (DA15, DA21, etc)

I just wondered if anyone with a KP has shot both and has any thoughts?

03-29-2017, 02:55 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
DA15, DA40 and DA70 - gteat small combo.

03-29-2017, 10:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't comment on the XT2 or X-Pro2 but I have got the X-E1 to try because I got it 2nd hand for $300.

Personally I am not convinced by X-Trans as a sensor type. Also, I am not convinced by an EVF either. I know this is an old model. So ymmv.

I know this is an old model but if people want to experience terrible AF they should try an X-E1. This is pretty woeful.

The other issue with Fujifilm is that lots of their lenses aren't particularly small so while you save weight with the body the overall mass (space) with lenses is still quite big.

Anyway, they will still take great photo's as all modern cameras currently do. I believe it's a case of weighing up your own personal pros and cons.

If you are considering a switch or trying a mirrorless also consider the Olympus E-M10 MK II. That is a very inexpensive but fully featured model. The EVF is large, m43 lenses are genuinely small (unlike Fujifilm), you get to keep image stabilisation (which I believe is quite underrated, Pentax included) and it has lots of custom buttons. Its basically kind of like an M43's KP.
03-30-2017, 04:12 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
DA15, DA40 and DA70 - great small combo.
Pentax small-body dream team.

Substitute the DA21 for the 15 according to taste and circumstance; the 15 does not IME/IMO do people well.

The other thing about going with a small Pentax body is that if it breaks or needs to go in for repair, you can still use the lenses on the K-1. True, you would be limited to crop mode (or cropping in post if that's your thing), but they are otherwise completely compatible. One advantage of staying within the same ecosystem.

03-30-2017, 04:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
I know this is an old model but if people want to experience terrible AF they should try an X-E1. This is pretty woeful.
You must have got a poor copy of the XE1, mine does AF a smidgin slower than the K1.Have you got the latest firmware?

I have got the X-E1 to try because I got it 2nd hand for $300.

I paid less for mine but it depends whats around @ the time...its still good value, new on Ozzie ebay.A$ 350+

Edin_Togger....if you still have Fuji glass? Y don't you consider the XT20?....its an XT2 minus weathersealing /a card slot/but a slightly smaller viewfinder.it comes in at a similar price as a KP but with a 18-55mm which you may be familiar with.Considered a lot higher than most"kit" lenses.
03-30-2017, 07:01 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by edin_togger Quote
I guess this is potentially aimed at anyone who had shot with a "3rd Generation" Fuji X camera (X-Pro 2 or XT2) and the KP.
I'm a fairly recent convert to Pentax having picked up a K1 and 24-70 at Christmas and I'm loving shooting with it but sometimes a smaller body would be nice.
I previously had a Fuji X-Pro 2 & XT2 and have considered another one of those as a smaller, lighter companion but then the KP appeared.
On the face of it size wise its little bigger than either of the Fuji's and I'm sure that the image quality is going to be similar if not the same.
A KP and some small primes looks like it would be a nice small, lighter kit when the K1 isn't neccesarily needed, for example when travelling and also opens up access to a few of the Pentax primes and zooms which aren't full frame compatible (DA15, DA21, etc)

X-T20 sounds the bill for you. Either the 18-55, or 27mm if you want to go small. 23/35/50mm F2 are also good (WR) options, but not pancake sized.

Or, I could say, don't split your system, and stick with one brand. KP with a 21mm or 70mm would be my personal pick - you can always use those lenses on your K-1. If weight is not an issue. 700g for the (WR) KP, 385g for the X-T20.

I have yet to try the KP, but the AF and overall performance of the X-T20 really surprised me.
03-30-2017, 07:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edin_togger Quote

I don't own a K-1 nor a KP BUT ... it (the KP) sure sounds like a great companion for your K-1!

---------- Post added 03-30-17 at 10:30 PM ----------

I can't comment on the XT2 or X-Pro2 but I have got the X-E1 to try because I got it 2nd hand for $300.

Personally I am not convinced by X-Trans as a sensor type. Also, I am not convinced by an EVF either. I know this is an old model. So ymmv.

The other issue with Fujifilm is that lots of their lenses aren't particularly small so while you save weight with the body the overall mass (space) with lenses is still quite big.

Anyway, they will still take great photo's as all modern cameras currently do. I believe it's a case of weighing up your own personal pros and cons.

If you are considering a switch or trying a mirrorless also consider the Olympus E-M10 MK II. That is a very inexpensive but fully featured model. The EVF is large, m43 lenses are genuinely small (unlike Fujifilm), you get to keep image stabilisation (which I believe is quite underrated, Pentax included) and it has lots of custom buttons. Its basically kind of like an M43's KP.
I have an X-E2 ... great little camera.
The AF is no winner either, although better than that of the X-E1, but it sure complements my K3/K5 very well.

03-30-2017, 10:27 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Fuji cameras are very nice and I use mine for precisely this - a smaller alternative to my (K3) DSLR, though with the Fuji 35/1.4 I have a combo that I don't with the K3.

I think it just depends on how much smaller than your K1 you want to go - a Fuji camera will be smaller and lighter, more so if you go for one of the smaller cameras such as an A3 or X-T20 but then you'll have to buy another set of lenses. That is, unless you're going to use Pentax lenses with an adapter. I've used Pentax lenses (manual and modern DA limiteds) extensively on my X-M1 and they work incredibly well, though obviously there's no AF. A KP will be bigger and heavier but the same mount, meaning no compromises when it comes to lenses.

Last time I was there a couple of months ago I think Jessops had opened a new shop on Castle or Frederick street, but I didn't get a chance to go in (sniff..). They may not have Pentax cameras but I'd be very surprised if they don't have Fuji ones. John Lewis will also have Fujis, so I'd suggest being cheeky and going it to handle one, even if you end up buying it cheaper online.
04-18-2017, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #9

I sold my X-pro 2 and fuji lenses and moved to Pentax. The Fuji's are great cameras and are well supported with firmware updates. The pentax cameras are ok but what persuaded me was the lenses line up. The limited lenses are better than the fuji, the DA* lenses are just as good and can be bought for half the price.
04-18-2017, 04:42 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

The KP would be more in keeping with the class of construction, and the class of control layout of your K-1. Weight is about the same as the K-70, but is a slimmer design. You would not have to re-adjust what you are used to in controls as much with the KP. You could get the full-frame FA 43mm f/1.9 and excellent FA 77mm f/1.8 Limiteds which would also be useful on the K-1 as well. I've had those since owning only film bodies, and they are extremely fine lenses. Then, the DA 21mm Limited also for wide angle, yet small size, on your KP.

And BTW, your DA* 24-70mm f/2.8 is also a very nice zoom range on the KP too!

Last edited by mikesbike; 04-18-2017 at 05:11 PM.
04-19-2017, 07:04 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derrenhodson Quote
I sold my X-pro 2 and fuji lenses and moved to Pentax. The Fuji's are great cameras and are well supported with firmware updates. The pentax cameras are ok but what persuaded me was the lenses line up. The limited lenses are better than the fuji, the DA* lenses are just as good and can be bought for half the price.
I've done exactly the same and picked up the 16-50 F2.8 and the 50-135 F2.8 for 940 GBP for the pair, huge saving! SDM failure first time out on the 16-50 is another story though. If I had a K1, I'd pick the KP.
04-20-2017, 08:36 AM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derrenhodson Quote
I've done exactly the same and picked up the 16-50 F2.8 and the 50-135 F2.8 for 940 GBP for the pair, huge saving! SDM failure first time out on the 16-50 is another story though. If I had a K1, I'd pick the KP.