Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
03-31-2017, 03:17 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KP "Panda" Look

I thought I'd share this website I found showing a black KP with black and silver Limiteds, and a silver KP with black and silver Limiteds. In case someone was trying to decide which color KP to buy these pictures might help.

How about the combination of PENTAX KP and a Limited lens? How about a panda (black and white)?

03-31-2017, 03:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i like the black lens with silver body the best.
Maybe because I have a silver KP and all black lenses.
03-31-2017, 04:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree that the black lenses look very fine on the silver KP body. Very distinctive. The concept goes way back into the film bodies, of which I have several in silver/black. In fact, I think black lenses on the silver body make an even classier ensemble than black on black, which of course is common. Naturally, such opinions are subjective. Everyone has their own taste. The black KP body also looks very fine indeed!

Some people have said a silver lens looks odd on a black body. I disagree. Although I think a silver-finish lens looks even better when on a silver/black body, silver on black goes well together as a color scheme and is often found in a jewelry piece. I do not yet have my silver KP, though I plan on getting one. Something different from the usual black, yet classy rather than a "sporty" green, yellow, etc. I do have several silver-finish Pentax lenses, which I've also used on my Pentax black DSLR bodies, and I think they look quite beautiful. I have plenty of black on black combos, such as seen everywhere. There is black color as well as silver on the silver KP body.

Silver and black is not a panda color, nor is it odd. No one has found the Canon premium grey/white L lenses to be odd on a black Canon body, though it is closer to a panda color scheme.

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-31-2017 at 04:33 PM.
03-31-2017, 05:23 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Gosh, I don't know, if I swapped those lenses everything would be right in the world.

But the silver 40 on the silver KP and black on silver are another story.

03-31-2017, 05:59 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
black on black, - silver or black on silver.
04-01-2017, 07:33 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I have 2 black limiteds (15 and 70)
and 2 silver limiteds (21 and HD35) this makes it difficult for me. Although I love the idea to have a silver body, having a black camera makes it more discreet.

Moreover, scratched silver DSLR looks fugly.

Last edited by wed7; 04-02-2017 at 03:39 AM.
04-02-2017, 10:21 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
I have 2 black limiteds (15 and 70)
and 2 silver limiteds (21 and HD35) this makes it difficult for me. Although I love the idea to have a silver body, having a black camera makes it more discreet.
Having a black camera makes it look just like all the other professional-level cameras that have aped the "stealth" look pioneered by the Canon T-90 twenty-plus years ago. Having a silver-and-black camera reminds me of my beloved Super Program and and all the great cameras that came before the ugly T-90 design.

Moreover, scratched silver DSLR looks fugly.
How many scratched silver cameras have you ever seen?

04-02-2017, 02:51 PM   #8

I have heared that black color slims... works for people and their black clothes at least. Does it work for cameras also? Is black KP slimmer than silver one?

Last edited by apete; 04-02-2017 at 03:05 PM.
04-02-2017, 08:16 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Having a black camera makes it look just like all the other professional-level cameras that have aped the "stealth" look pioneered by the Canon T-90 twenty-plus years ago. Having a silver-and-black camera reminds me of my beloved Super Program and and all the great cameras that came before the ugly T-90 design.

How many scratched silver cameras have you ever seen?
A silver K-70, K-5, K-3, Fuji's X-E and X-T10 series.. they all look crap too me, but metallic film SLRs looks appealing in silver.

I do not care about that Canon T-90, sorry.
04-02-2017, 09:04 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For my taste, the silver version KP works well with its retro styling.
04-02-2017, 10:30 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

A silver K-70, K-5, K-3, Fuji's X-E and X-T10 series.. they all look crap too me, but metallic film SLRs looks appealing in silver.
I don't know what your experience has been; my blue K-30 has an "exciting" existence, but it currently shows no scratches at all, none, and I don't believe a silver KP will scratch easily either.

I do not care about that Canon T-90, sorry.
Canon T-90 is the camera which ended black + silver as typical camera design and began the all-black stealth design that you were praising in #6; you were implicitly praising the T-90 design in #6 whether you realized that or not.
04-03-2017, 01:49 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I don't know what your experience has been; my blue K-30 has an "exciting" existence, but it currently shows no scratches at all, none, and I don't believe a silver KP will scratch easily either.

Canon T-90 is the camera which ended black + silver as typical camera design and began the all-black stealth design that you were praising in #6; you were implicitly praising the T-90 design in #6 whether you realized that or not.
I am sure you like your "blue" (probably the same reason why you bought it). Silver plastics looks cheap when it gets scratched.

Like I said, I do not care about your T-90. The thread is about the KP and not about the T-90. If there is something that I miss my apologies for causing confusion.
04-03-2017, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey, nothing looks as good as new when it gets scratched, including black. But if you think the common black body is nicer and holds up better, fine. I'm ok with black and the black KP looks very good. But there's no guarantee that it will still look as good if you scratch it up. I think the silver.black KP is a classy, different alternative to the classy, yet more ordinary black. But if you prefer black for whatever reason- get black. I am not sure exactly which panels of the KP are not metal- I am under the impression it is the top panel under the controls. The top panels housing the flash, etc. may be metal. Some superficial damage can occur as a possibility, especially if the equipment is handled roughly or under rough circumstances, but I still have one metal-bodied MF and two Pentax compact 35mm film SLR AF models made with plastic bodies, all having a silver/black color scheme, which I used for years, and which still look just fine. No scratches.

Unlike those film bodies, there is one feature a DSLR is certain to have- obsolescence in under 10 years. Not that those old 6mp DSLR models are not still functional for certain needs, but they will not likely be admired for their beauty, so by then it won't matter.
04-03-2017, 06:05 PM   #14
Pentaxian

The KP is not yet available in my country yet, but I have heard that its top plate (pop-up flash is plastic) and when gets scratched (silver colored plastic) that's the ugliness I am referring too. But silver colored slrs (non-plastic but of alloy such as brass looks cool)

I hope it becomes available in soon so that I can have an actual comparison using my own (black/silver) lenses.
04-04-2017, 01:05 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In time, metal may develop "brassy" spots in the finish from handling. If it is the flash panel that is scratched and the body is a fairly recent model, it should be easy to replace. A scratch there would would be visible even in black.

Last edited by mikesbike; 04-04-2017 at 01:11 PM.