Photos: Gallery
The KP's pedigree

K1000, ME Super, and Program Plus.
Photos SOOC with an MX-1.

04-01-2017, 04:31 PM - 4 Likes   #2
Resident Bagpiper
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Typical, the newer generation are all putting on weight.
04-01-2017, 04:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
But the camera bag is lighter without all those rolls of film.
04-01-2017, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #4
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
The KP's pedigree
Great comparison photographs Rob.

Last edited by pjv; 04-01-2017 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Typo
04-01-2017, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
…and they've got bigger heads!
04-01-2017, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #6
JPT
Pentaxian

Looks very nice. It's bigger, but then we expect so much more from ur cameras now. I think they should ditch the flash on the KP for the next version. They might be able to make the prism part smaller.

By the way, have you tried the manual focus lenses with the KP? I haven't seen any reports about that so far, and I'm curious to hear how the new edge outline focus aid works in live view.
04-01-2017, 06:12 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
By the way, have you tried the manual focus lenses with the KP? I haven't seen any reports about that so far, and I'm curious to hear how the new edge outline focus aid works in live view.
Yesterday I put on a MF Promaster 100mm macro and popped a few shots with LV and focus peaking, but haven't looked at them yet.
I didn't even know about the outline feature thing, FP to me looked like what I was used to with the K-01 and K-S2, now I'll have to take a closer look. Thanks!
04-03-2017, 04:12 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I would love to have an APS-C with the size and look of the ME super, battery grip that looks like a motor drive, AF speed of the D7200 and image quality of the K-1. Just dreaming out loud.

04-03-2017, 04:23 PM   #9
Pentaxian

very beautiful set of camera.
when put KP side by side with those old film Pentax, it doesn't look that much bigger. KP is a bit thicker in exchange of back LCD and the shake reduction system. I think Pentax did a pretty good job.
04-04-2017, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #10
JPT
Pentaxian

Yesterday I put on a MF Promaster 100mm macro and popped a few shots with LV and focus peaking, but haven't looked at them yet.
I didn't even know about the outline feature thing, FP to me looked like what I was used to with the K-01 and K-S2, now I'll have to take a closer look. Thanks!
I tried this mode on the KP in a shop today. It seems like the new mode is similar to (or the same as) the Mode 2 peaking on the Ricoh GXR. It's described and illustrated on this Japanese page.
???????????????Q&A) / ?????? / ????????| RICOH IMAGING

It's also mentioned in these two English language reports.
Ricoh GXR: Manual Focusing and Focusing Support with M-Mount
Ricoh GXR A12 Field Report - Luminous Landscape

I've never tried this mode at length, but I think the idea is that it gets rid of colorful distractions on the LCD to help the user concentrate on focusing. Since it was designed for the GXR M-mount unit, it is specifically aimed at manual focus lenses. It's probably worth trying with your old glass.
04-04-2017, 07:52 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I tried this mode on the KP in a shop today. It seems like the new mode is similar to (or the same as) the Mode 2 peaking on the Ricoh GXR. It's described and illustrated on this Japanese page.
Thanks for this info, I had overlooked the FP outline setting.
Played with it a bit just now, seems to work well, but hard to see in bright light.
It helps to half press the shutter to show normal view, focus best you can, then fine tune after releasing the shutter.
I need more practice.
04-04-2017, 11:41 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I shot with the ME Super for years. Had two of them. Beautiful design. Then the Super Program- still nice workmanship. I gave away the ME Supers, but still have the Super Program. I used the nice AF 280T flash when I needed one. I was, however, glad some years later to get a new model having a built-in flash. It made many grab shots not only easier to get, but possible to get. Not as beautiful, all black, much larger, but it also had AF!

Pentax was the first to successfully come up with the concept of an SLR camera with a built-in flash! The others soon copied in their latest models. If Pentax eliminates it on the next KP to make it smaller for old time sake, I'll pass on it and keep this KP when I get mine. It looks great.
04-04-2017, 12:01 PM - 3 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I was, however, glad some years later to get a new model having a built-in flash.
Sounds like me, I went to the SF1 after the Super Program.
Then with digital, I stayed with Kodak pretty much until my K10D.
And it's funny, one of my favorite pics was with a 1MP Kodak of Hannibal, MO in the fall, despite its shortcomings.

04-04-2017, 07:03 PM   #14

K1000, ME Super, and Program Plus.
Photos SOOC with an MX-1.

Great comparison! The only film camera I saved for nostalgic reasons was the ME Super with the winder grip . Actually sold a complete LX with winder , grip and screen but kept the ME Super. Brings back memories.

How are you liking the KP?
04-05-2017, 06:17 AM - 3 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffw Quote
How are you liking the KP?
The best way I can describe it is, if I was smart enough to design a camera for looks, size, ergonomics, and performance, this is what I would come up with. No negatives so far. (well maybe price)
I'm not usually an early adopter, but this camera peaked my interest before my K-S2 developed aperture block.
I like the tilt out display on the KP much better than the flip-out one on the S2, even though I don't use them often.
Still learning it, and tweaking it to my liking.

Last edited by robtcorl; 04-05-2017 at 07:20 AM. Reason: sentence formation