Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
04-07-2017, 08:36 AM   #1
Forum Member

"L" Bracket for KP...

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Might as well get this one rolling along, early days yet, I know. Contacted Sunwayfoto and Kirk I think it was but they arn't planning anything, from what they tell me, so is there anything out there on the horizon? Is there a long body plate that anyone knows about that when you attach it to camera actually doesn't shift under load, not an "L" bracket I know but it might do, any intel guys?

04-07-2017, 10:56 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the following L plate with my K-3II and K-5IIs. It has cushions on the base and a D ring screw for securing to the camera.

https://www.amazon.com/Fotasy-LPM-Universal-Release-Cleaning/dp/B00W995BM2/r...ywords=l-plate
04-08-2017, 09:47 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
@C_Jones

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I use the following L plate with my K-3II and K-5IIs. It has cushions on the base and a D ring screw for securing to the camera.

amazon.com : Fotasy LPM Universal L Quick Release Plate Bracket for Arca Swiss Type Tripod Ball Head with Premier Cleaning Cloth (Black) : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
Does it twist about at all, concerend with that with a generic plate, without a lip for the camera base, will twist under load in vertical compositions with something like a 50-135mm on?
It looks like you lose access to the battery, is that correct?
Side access looks good though...
04-12-2017, 07:44 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use this one with my K-30; not sure how much the dimensions on the KP differ, but I would imagine it should work:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S1MI6L4/ref=dp_cerb_1?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Doesn't twist since it has a (removable) stop. I did add a thin layer of cork (the self-adhesive kind intended to line shelves/drawers). Primarily because my camera's white and I was worried (needlessly, it turns out) about scratching it, but I imagine you could skip that step. I haven't seen the bottom of the KP, but the plate does block the battery door on the K-30. However, it's only partially blocked, so I can loosen the plate slightly and twist it out of the way to change the battery without removing the plate entirely. I haven't seen a KP in person, so not sure how the battery door compares. Using the middle hole to mount to the camera, there's just over 39mm from the tripod hole to the edge of the plate, which is about 5mm too long. As far as support goes, it does fine in vertical orientation with the 55-300 or my old Sigma 105 macro, which are the heaviest lenses I've used it with. Looks like the 50-135 is another 200g or so; if I had that lens I'd certainly try it with this plate and would be surprised if it didn't hold up. Hope that helps!

--Steve

04-15-2017, 10:34 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
And it's Sunwayfoto, which is always good!
05-10-2017, 02:18 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I've emailed Sunwayfoto, Kirk and RRS and I have been informed that none of em intend to make a KP specific "L" Bracket, anyone know, anyone who might? I don't want something too generic that gets in the way of battery doors etc but something dedicated to the body, it's likely to be around for a while, even though it may comparitively sell less, maybe the Koreans???
10-23-2017, 05:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm gonna start looking into this. Discovered today that the generic L Plate I use for my K-1 (which I modified slightly so that I can access the battery compartment fine) doesn't actually work very well at all with the KP. I mean it works, it fits nicely, you just can't open the battery compartment. In practice I think I won't find it a big deal, it's not hard or tricky to unscrew the L plate slightly, pan it around and swap the battery and then replace back.
The issue is that the battery storage opening compartment takes up a far larger area of the base, it's about a full 1/3rd, and the KP being quite small in the first place does make for a challenge for manufacturers.

Really the L plate needs to be more like a ∟(where both sides are approximate the same length). Perhaps filing a L Plate down will work, I'm gonna have a hunt about...

EDIT: I think the cheapest option would be to grab a MPU105 L Universal Quick Release Plate, where the screw doesn't run length ways along the plate but has a choice of holes spanning width ways, like so;

Move screw, cut away plate that blocks the battery compartment, file and smooth down cut.

Attached Images

Last edited by BruceBanner; 10-23-2017 at 05:44 PM.
02-16-2018, 03:47 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jules Quote
@C_Jones

Does it twist about at all, concerend with that with a generic plate, without a lip for the camera base, will twist under load in vertical compositions with something like a 50-135mm on?
It looks like you lose access to the battery, is that correct?
Side access looks good though...
I know it has been a time since this thread was posted, but I just wanted to post an answer.

The plate will not move if it is tight, but I have had instances where it has moved (twisted) a small amount. The access to the battery door can be achieved by just loosening the D-Ring screw on the plate and moving the plate a small amount.

This is a new shortcut to a current plate that is similar to mine (below).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-MPU100-Quick-Release-L-Plate-Bracket-for-...75.c100623.m-1

Last edited by C_Jones; 02-16-2018 at 03:54 PM.
02-16-2018, 04:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I know it has been a time since this thread was posted, but I just wanted to post an answer.

The plate will not move if it is tight, but I have had instances where it has moved (twisted) a small amount. The access to the battery door can be achieved by just loosening the D-Ring screw on the plate and moving the plate a small amount.

This is a new shortcut to a current plate that is similar to mine (below).

Universal MPU100 Quick Release L Plate Bracket for Camera Benro Arca Swiss P5FS | eBay
Yeh this is what I currently do with the generic plates on the KP etc when I can't get in, loosen, pivot slightly and access is possible, no biggy really huh.
02-16-2018, 06:54 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Yeh this is what I currently do with the generic plates on the KP etc when I can't get in, loosen, pivot slightly and access is possible, no biggy really huh.
I usually move it (the L plate base) just to the side enough to open the door and switch out the batteries. It really is not a tedious thing for me. The plate is interchangeable between my cameras and does what I need.
02-16-2018, 09:29 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
From my estimates this A6300 plate looks almost millimeter perfect for the KP.

Should allow full access to the battery (just).
Shutter release access? Not sure, might work.

The only issue is it has a raised lip on the base plate which would have to be removed. What do you think?

Quick Release L-Shaped Tripod Plate Bracket For Sony FLS-A6300/A6000 Camera | eBay
Attached Images

02-16-2018, 09:44 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This may work out of box for the KP

Desmond L Plate DAL-1 Quick Release Arca RRS Compatible / Camera / Tripod Head | eBay
Attached Images

02-17-2018, 10:49 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I would still prefer the type I pointed out because it (the base) is padded, has a d-ring screw, no raised lip on the base, the structure is not difficult to deal with, and it is simple to use.
02-17-2018, 07:40 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeh I like the D Rings on the L Plates.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-22-2018, 11:06 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Hi, where can I get that bracket?
Thanks