Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2017, 06:16 AM   #1

Kp vs. k3?

Anybody have both cameras, and care to give their opinion on the +/-when compared to one another?
I have the k3, and am generally happy with it. I'm wondering about the kp's portability versus the k3? Looking at the specs, it doesn't look as if there is that big of a difference in size. What about ISO performance and autofocus? Any huge difference?
Thanks in advance.

04-17-2017, 06:28 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have both.
The KP definitely feels smaller, but not much lighter. It fits any given space in a camera bag better.
I prefer the control layout of the K-3, but that is at least partly due to familiarity. The tilting screen on the KP is a useful addition.
I have not done enough testing to notice a significant difference in high-ISO noise or AF.
04-17-2017, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is something you can check at Imaging Resources

IN Imaging resources the KP is at .083s focus confirm faster than even a K-1. (AF.s centre point pre-focussed). But you're talking .05 of a second faster than a K-3. You might not be able to notice that in real life.

You can do comparisons like this one here. Select the camera the ISO and evaluate to your hearts content.
Imaging Resource "Comparometer" â„¢ Digital Camera Image Comparison Page

At 3200 ISO the K-3 on the left vs the KP on the right. IMHO the KP is a little cleaner, but not enough difference to get excited about.

Last edited by normhead; 04-17-2017 at 06:41 AM.
04-17-2017, 12:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You will see a truly substantial difference at ISO 6400, both in lower noise and in preservation of detail. Check the figures on the Fiddlers Ale and Hellas wine vinegar bottle, check between the bottles in shadow areas, check the shadows just beyond the last Samuel Adams beer bottle and the writing on that bottle, and also the squares in the color chart. The KP's performance in low light really got my attention together with its smallish design.

I have had my K-5 IIs for quite a while, and love it. I got a steal deal buying it as a new-left over after the K-3 appeared. I will still keep and use it even after I get the KP. It even slightly outperforms the K-3 in higher ISO use, in fact it is quite exceptional in detail preservation. But the KP leaves it behind for noise control with preservation of detail at higher ISO use. The K-5/ K-3 series are different in control layout than the KP. Both they and the KP are designed for advanced serious users, the KP being a new, more compact concept in this area. When to use either depends on what your uses and needs are. I think the K-5/K-3 controls are unsurpassed under circumstances where very quick changes may be needed in ISO, metering mode, etc. With the KP, the new controls serving its compactness are programmable and reportedly quick to use, but not as separate and dedicated as those of the K-3/K-5 are.

When a lot of portability is the issue, and/or if shooting in low light, a smallish kit with the KP would be tops. A very high caliber compact outfit. The KP seems ideal for this kind of activity. I often do this kind of thing, on foot or bicycle. When out and about for hours with camera in belt holster plus cross-shoulders strap, any difference in compactness and weight is noticeable. I have long had several Limited primes and recently bought another- the 15mm f/4 as well as the 20-40mm WR Ltd. At the same time, the design of the KP is such that it is expandable to being a more fleshed-out body for use with a larger kit for say shooting low-light indoor events with larger lenses.

Last edited by mikesbike; 04-17-2017 at 12:34 PM.
04-18-2017, 10:11 AM   #5

I have a KP and K3ii, photo quality is about the same, usability is about the same, it just comes down to ergonomics and whether you like a tilting screen or a fixed better quality screen.