Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax AF 540 FGZ II.
05-05-2017, 05:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

That is a good one, yes.
05-05-2017, 06:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Nikon SB-20, SB-24, SB-25, SB-26 or the SB-28 in AUTO mode on the flash and manual mode on the camera at a shutter speed of 125 and aperture at 5.6.

Gives me better and more consistent results then Pentax flashes in P-TTL mode on my K-7 and K-50.

They typically go for around $100-$150 second hand which is a bargain.

Strobist Nikon SB-28 | Speedlights.net

Attached Images

05-05-2017, 11:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Do they work OK at 1/90th sec and F8 also?

Joking aside, I know that auto-thyristor mode is popular, but really it should not be a more favoured automatic choice over P-TTL with a modern camera and flash. There's more work involved as you have to set the aperture and ISO manually onto the flash, and of course control the camera manually.

The older Pentax AF540-FGZ offers auto mode also, (using its built-in light sensor like those Nikons), The problem with using P-TTL sometimes is that its often combined with auto exposure modes and auto ISO on the camera, and this can take control away from the user. What sort of issues are you having with P-TTL, perhaps there is a solution? Ideally P-TTL is the least amount of work, because you can work in ,say, Av mode, fix your ISO and aperture and control both the ambient and flash exposures with compensation settings on the camera (for ambient) and flash (for flash).

Controlling flash exposure with an Auto-Thyristor flash can be quite a mental and physical juggling act.

Last edited by mcgregni; 05-05-2017 at 11:40 AM.
05-05-2017, 07:05 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote

Controlling flash exposure with an Auto-Thyristor flash can be quite a mental and physical juggling act.
I do it when using my 540 on a Sony A7. Unpleasant.

05-05-2017, 08:19 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Yes, as far as I know

05-05-2017, 08:43 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Joking aside, I know that auto-thyristor mode is popular, but really it should not be a more favoured automatic choice over P-TTL with a modern camera and flash. There's more work involved as you have to set the aperture and ISO manually onto the flash, and of course control the camera manually.

The older Pentax AF540-FGZ offers auto mode also, (using its built-in light sensor like those Nikons), The problem with using P-TTL sometimes is that its often combined with auto exposure modes and auto ISO on the camera, and this can take control away from the user. What sort of issues are you having with P-TTL, perhaps there is a solution? Ideally P-TTL is the least amount of work, because you can work in ,say, Av mode, fix your ISO and aperture and control both the ambient and flash exposures with compensation settings on the camera (for ambient) and flash (for flash).

I was using the old version AF36FGZ in P-TTL mode and P mode on the camera with ISO set at 200. The problem was that it would randomly over and underexpose on a regular basis. Perhaps version II has addressed these issues.

Funny enough, I don't get this problem with the AF200FGZ which exposes perfectly every time but that flash can't be bounced and has a relatively low guide number.

I agree that "Auto-Thyristor flash can be quite a mental and physical juggling act" and that in general P-TTL is preferable but with the Nikon flashes I have tried (the 1990s models with AUTO mode) it just seems to work effortlessly. They were left over from my Nikon days and I was surprised how good they work on a Pentax body.

Attached are a couple of photos showing direct and bounce flash in AUTO mode. No artistic merit but shows the capability of the Nikon SB-28 flash in AUTO mode on a Pentax K-7.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 

Last edited by Theov39; 06-29-2017 at 04:18 AM.
05-06-2017, 02:34 AM   #9

Original Poster
please show same pict with
auto flash
manual flash
exter manual (with same setings)
thanx
05-06-2017, 04:49 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by humming Quote
please show same pict with
auto flash
manual flash
exter manual (with same setings)
thanx
That is AUTO flash. I never use MANUAL flash as it is too hit and miss and is a headache to set up. Might be OK in a controlled studio situation but that is beyond MY skills

AUTO flash get the right exposure every time so I just use that.

I agree with the above recommendation for the Pentax AF560FGZ II as it's a great flash and I understand that some of the earlier inconsistent exposure P-TTL issues have been addressed. These also depend on the camera you are using. However, if your budget just not stretch that far, the old Nikon flashes are a great backup option.
05-25-2017, 04:13 AM   #11
f22

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Metz 64 - love the results it gives, and the features it has.
06-17-2017, 04:28 AM   #12
Forum Member

The Metz 36 AF-5 is a cheap (not Made in Germany) full auto P-TTL with bounce and zoom. Folds flat and does everything I need . Try it out.
06-19-2017, 05:13 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Although I have a number of ashes, I just bought the current Pentax AF 360 FGZ II from B&H because I wanted a smaller unit that is still powerful, has tilt and swivel, and has weather sealing, good characteristics to go with my new KP. Since the KP's built-in flash is a bit on the weak side, I also previously bought the very compact AF 201 FG which is so small it can fit into a pocket or purse, yet much more powerful than the built-in flash, also has WR, and has tilt for bounce. I will still use the built-in flash of course, but it is very limited when dealing with areas larger than about 15ft or so, and it has no bounce capability.

I presume since this thread is posted in the KP section, you are a KP owner. I find the AF 360 FGZ II is a full-featured flash, with very good power for its size and yet more compact and lighter than the AF 540 FGZ II, therefore a very good match with the KP. Its balance when mounted on the KP is extraordinarily good. Much better even than the previous AF 360 FGZ, which I also have and which does not feature WR. At ISO 400, it will deliver good power to around 30ft or so and at ISO 1600 you can get double that range. These figures are displayed on the back screen of the flash itself. These newer models also now have the built-in extra LED light for frontal fill while the flash head is tilted for a ceiling or wall bounce shot. The only drawback there is the LED when turned on will stay on instead of coming on when the flash is fired. This can be irritating to live subjects. But it can be useful for other subject matter. There is no longer a pull-out bounce card, but such cards can be found separately, as well as other diffusers.

I think this flash with the KP is an exceptionally good combo, with very good capability while still being a lighter, more compact outfit.
06-19-2017, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Correction! I just found the LED light on the AF 360 FGZ II CAN be used along with bounce flash output without being constantly on! It is referred to as "catchlight" and can be accessed via the Fn button, which must be held down for a couple of seconds. Then you need to have the CL category displayed, as you turn the dial to switch categories. Then you push"set" and turn the dial to change from "off" to "on". Works like a charm, so you really don't need to have a built-in reflector bounce card!
08-22-2017, 09:17 PM   #15
BLR

Does the KP have the shutter lag when using P-TTL like the K-3?