Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2017, 12:34 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sensor spots not blowing off

I had my KP since end of Feb. I just got back from Rome, and noticed the appears of very tiny spots in some shots with sky in them. Having first cleaned the lenses, spots still remained in test photos. Assuming it was just sensor dust, I used a Giotto's large size blaster to remove the dust from the sensor and the very few larger spots were successfully removed (used focal length of 70-100 mm, f/8 to f/40 and unfocused shots of the clear blue sky at ISO 100). However there were still very many tiny, equal-sized dots with a halo-like ring around them, scattered everywhere on the field and more clearly visible from f/22-f/40 as you would expect. They would not come off with the blower, despite repeated blower treatments and retest shots.

When magnified, they all were all uniform size dots with identical appearance; each one had a small dark center surrounded by a perfectly round halo. After speaking with the Pentax support representative, he suspected that possibly some shutter oil may have splattered onto the sensor, and instructed me to send the KP to Pentax (Precision Camera) for them to inspect, diagnose and clean.

I'm putting this out there in case other KP owners find they have similar situation with non-dust spots on their pictures that aren't going away with just air blowing. Being it's still under warranty I wasn't about to attempt any sensor cleaning on my own on a camera this new. I'm disappointed that I will be without it for a time until it's back.

On a positive note, the pictures taken in Rome/Venice came out incredible! The vivid, natural color rendering, along with the saturation and nuance of this camera are worth the price to me. A vast improvement over the K-50 in IQ. The sharpness and detail it captured was immediately noticeable as was the perfect balanced exposure in nearly every shot. Pictures ranged from ambient lit churches like St. Peter's, to outdoor venues like the Colosseum.I found there was often no tweaking needed in PP for the vast majority of pictures (other than the ones needing the spots removed) I was using the Pentax smc 18-135mm lens. I really enjoy using this camera, it is an awesome tool.

Last edited by f22; 06-01-2017 at 01:43 PM.
06-01-2017, 01:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you for reporting. Interesting issue.
06-01-2017, 04:25 PM   #3

Sorry this had to happen . Hopefully this is just a one off incident. As the owner of a Nikon D610 I am well aware of the mess Nikon had on their hands from the original D600 getting oil spots on their image sensors. It scared a lot of people away from the camera.
06-01-2017, 07:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Odd - can you post a picture of the spots?

06-02-2017, 04:23 AM   #5
f22

Original Poster
Here is an unretouched JPG of the test shot taken at f/40. 88mm APS-C (132 mm FF), ISO 100 of the sky (manually unfocused).
Notice the small black dots scattered over different parts of the image, (and one white one that is in the lower left quadrant of the picture). When you zoom in on any one of the dots, they appear to have a blotchy ring around them
Sensor dot f40 | kabukedancer | Flickr
One other weird thing I initially forgot to mention was that when I first air blasted air inside of the chamber, a large black piece of something dropped out. It almost looked like soot, or ash. Very thin black flake of something.
06-02-2017, 08:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by f22 Quote
One other weird thing I initially forgot to mention was that when I first air blasted air inside of the chamber, a large black piece of something dropped out. It almost looked like soot, or ash. Very thin black flake of something.
That sounds decidedly odd.
06-03-2017, 10:10 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am wondering if you just used the DA 18-135mm lens and never had it off the camera?

I just got my new KP and I'm finding to be a truly great camera, with exceptionally good metering. I agree- worth the price! I've only used the DA 20-40mm and DA 15mm Limiteds with it so far. Less than 30 shots over 1-1/2 days.

I also have the DA 18-135mm, which I've had for a number of years, and have used extensively on my K-r, then since last year on my K-S2, and since I got it on my K-5 IIs, all without any issue and fine results. I'm sure we would all like to know what the Pentax service facility finds. You might even consider sending in the lens as well?!

Last edited by mikesbike; 06-03-2017 at 10:19 AM.
06-03-2017, 11:10 AM   #8
f22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I am wondering if you just used the DA 18-135mm lens and never had it off the camera?

I just got my new KP and I'm finding to be a truly great camera, with exceptionally good metering. I agree- worth the price! I've only used the DA 20-40mm and DA 15mm Limiteds with it so far. Less than 30 shots over 1-1/2 days.

I also have the DA 18-135mm, which I've had for a number of years, and have used extensively on my K-r, then since last year on my K-S2, and since I got it on my K-5 IIs, all without any issue and fine results. I'm sure we would all like to know what the Pentax service facility finds. You might even consider sending in the lens as well?!
Yes I did rule out it wasn't just this lens causing the issue and was indeed the sensor. I repeated tests with my 50-300 on to get a high enough focal length and the spots were in the exact same places on the images. Last thing I wanted to do was send the KP away. I think I removed every dust particle off that sensor with the blower. All that remained was those little oil dots. Look like frickin measles on that sensor. The representative seemed to be leaning to it being the shutter oil, given the description of the dots and the fact the dots were dispersed over the whole sensor. See link to photo in previous post, the dots are tiny, almost uniform in size. Then when I told him about the debris that fell out of it he says, "man you should definitely send it in and let us take a look at that". The KP is 3 months old, the 18-135 I've had 18 months and works fine on my K-50.

That 20-40 is a lens I'd love to have. I find it has the most common focal lengths for my type shooting. I have waited to see if price drops a little more.

Last edited by f22; 06-03-2017 at 11:18 AM.
06-04-2017, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe I shopped for mine via Amazon and found a good deal on a new one from a highly-rated source. I love both of these lenses, it and the DA 18-135mm too for its amazing versatility and very good quality. The quality of the Limited zoom is amazing. I already had bought it last year in silver finish, somehow having the premonition that Pentax would finally produce a new camera I want to have with a finish that would match up with their long-standing silver-finish lenses, of which I own several. The KP has surpassed my expectations, both in being a camera I want to have and in its very fine, beautiful matching finish! I am also surprised at how well the Limited zoom lens balances on the KP, even using the small-size grip!
06-14-2017, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #10
f22

Original Poster
Just an update, I received my KP back from Precision Camera and they cleaned the sensor. All spots are gone. Very fast service and positive experience from the service performed. I took several test shots at 135 mm, f/40 ISO 100, manual focus, and at 200% magnification there are no discernible spots on the sensor. They did a quality cleaning job. I guess time will tell if the spots reappear once I start taking more pictures and rack up the shutter actuations.
06-14-2017, 01:36 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good to hear. Are you going to fire off a quick 100 or so just to check?
06-15-2017, 07:02 AM   #12
f22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Good to hear. Are you going to fire off a quick 100 or so just to check?
Time will tell Mark, I planned to shoot this weekend and will do some bracketed shots to see if the shutter is indeed the source. But there is no rush, I just purchased the 3 year extended warranty for 8 bucks this morning from B&H.
06-15-2017, 12:46 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am still finding my KP to be an extraordinary camera, although I have only explored a fraction of its capabilities! So I am anxious to see how your problem turns out. I am also interested in the extended warranty. Is it a Pentax warranty, or a separate one through the store? Pentax used to have extended warranties available. I don't know if that is still true.

It is being assumed the shutter is the source of this problem, but it is also possible something blew into the camera at some point. I suggest doing some shots at higher shutter speeds as well as low speeds. Also perhaps some burst shooting. If putting the shutter through its paces with a fairly high volume and with no return of any spots, I think that should clear the shutter of suspicion.
06-15-2017, 01:49 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
do you always shoot at f-22? IFnot does this show up at normal apertures IE F-8? Those look Like condensation marks. Any way if it doesn't show up at normal aperture I would say leave well enough alone. Otherwise I guess you know the routine. Just remember every time you wet clean you run the almighty risk of scratching that naked sensor. And yes it is naked.
06-15-2017, 03:16 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by f22 Quote
Time will tell Mark, I planned to shoot this weekend and will do some bracketed shots to see if the shutter is indeed the source. But there is no rush, I just purchased the 3 year extended warranty for 8 bucks this morning from B&H.
That's a pretty neat deal!