Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2017, 07:13 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

New Black KP Arrival and Impressions

I can't remember where I read it in all my research on the KP, but the P in the camera's name stands for Pleasure. That says volumes. I have had the K10, K20, Km, Kx, K30, K5, K5IIs, and now the K-1 and the KP has joined it. The KP reminds me of the Kx in size. Yes a little bigger physically, but closer size wise to the Kx than the K5. Not since I had the Kx have I enjoyed the feel and handling of a Pentax DSLR as I do the KP. On top of the handling, the KP is also has parentage from the K-1 in the weather sealing, image quality, controls and adjustability. I do love the K-1 and will still grab it for some of my use, but I believe I will probably use my KP more. It just feels so compact and still retains the image output that I like. All in a package that is fast to make adjustments and fun to use and have with me whenever I want it. I remember using the Kx and digging into sub menus so often...it was a far cry from the ease of changing settings that have spoiled me with the K-1. And the shutter sound. The KP even sounds quieter to my ear than the K5IIs. I thought about taking my K-30 to Europe in 2013, but instead purchased the K5IIs for that trip. The better autofocus plus the shutter sound was very worthwhile when taking stealth photos in some of the places that I frequented. Now we have the best attributes of all of those great cameras rolled into the KP and I see myself using this fun little camera more than my K-1. I updated to the KP from the K5IIS because of the focus peaking (my eyes are such that my manual focus lenses are just too hard to get a good focus lock on without it), and I updated from the K30 because of the shutter sound (but I still missed the focus peaking). The KP is a mix of everything that I liked in all of those cameras. I will keep the K-1, but I see myself using the KP for most of my use. Well done Pentax. This body is indeed a Pleasure. I sure wish I had it when I went to Europe instead of my K5iis. Good job Pentax, this is the apsc camera that I have always wanted. . Andy

06-04-2017, 08:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I just got mine a few days ago, and I agree with your assessment. I still have and love my K-5 IIs for different reasons, but that is what the KP is all about- there's nothing else quite like it. Compact excellence. I especially love how it handles with my collection of compact limited primes. And last year I bought the Limited zoom as well, and now I can hardly believe how well this lens balances on the KP, even with the small grip! I am in the process of getting to know and appreciate the efficiency of the new controls, since I don't own a K-1.

Congrats, and those of us who also own one do understand your joy!
06-04-2017, 08:59 PM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Mike. This camera wasn't even on my radar, but after I read about the people here who had one loving it, I got more interested. I don't have the 20-40 Limited, but I have the DA Limited primes. I sure like what I am seeing with the 35 Macro. It just balances so well on the KP. The 15, 35 or 43 and 70 would make a great kit with this camera. Have fun with yours too. It sure does inspire Passion as well as Pleasure.
06-05-2017, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #4

My very beaut KP

OK, I have had my KP for a couple of months now and love it! I did not like the small grip with my biggish hands, so have fitted the largest grip and it is GREAT! Cost a bit though and had to get it from USA (none in Aus). It is a bit unwieldy with my DA* 200mm on, but such beautiful pics! I am experimenting with Astro work and have got the ASTROTRACER device and have so far tried the KP out with 24mm lens (Samyang, manual) on deep sky stuff. I am going to try composite images with it. Also I am going to hook it up to my refractor telescope and try some prime imaging with the composite settings and timer. Has anyone out there tried astro with it yet??

06-05-2017, 11:06 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I've had the FA 43mm and 77mm Limiteds for years, having used them on my film bodies: the MZ-S, the ZX-L, and sometimes the PZ-1p although this larger body being usually combined with larger lenses. I don't shoot much film these days. I think very highly of these two FA Limiteds. The bokeh from the 77mm is wonderful! It can focus close enough to get some pretty good bug and flower shots, and on APS-C still far enough away not to chase away the critters. It is also great for candid portraits, being unobtrusive so not attracting attention. So amazingly small for its FL and fast aperture! Also a good combo for low-light street shooting, either on the KP or your K-1.

I got the DA 21mm around 2011, then a couple of years later I went for the original DA 40mm anyway for its tiny size and fine optical performance, since it was being offered for very cheap as a closeout due to the new upgraded HD version. I think I still like my 43mm best due to its low light capable fast aperture and being best for film or a FF body. It is very compact, yet the 40mm is even tinier, so when I don't need the capabilities of the 43mm I often use it instead! Even its lens hood is tiny. I very recently acquired the DA 15mm as well. I have long had numerous FF primes including the FA 35mm f/2, so now I have plenty of choices for a walking or bike-riding kit, now with the KP!

Another I can highly recommend if interested, is the D-FA 100mm WR macro. It is not officially a Limited, but its design, build quality, and appearance are such you would swear it is one! It is a great performer, and you can go about shooting in wet conditions.
06-05-2017, 02:52 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I've had the FA 43mm and 77mm Limiteds for years, having used them on my film bodies: the MZ-S, the ZX-L, and sometimes the PZ-1p although this larger body being usually combined with larger lenses. I don't shoot much film these days. I think very highly of these two FA Limiteds. The bokeh from the 77mm is wonderful! It can focus close enough to get some pretty good bug and flower shots, and on APS-C still far enough away not to chase away the critters. It is also great for candid portraits, being unobtrusive so not attracting attention. So amazingly small for its FL and fast aperture! Also a good combo for low-light street shooting, either on the KP or your K-1.

I got the DA 21mm around 2011, then a couple of years later I went for the original DA 40mm anyway for its tiny size and fine optical performance, since it was being offered for very cheap as a closeout due to the new upgraded HD version. I think I still like my 43mm best due to its low light capable fast aperture and being best for film or a FF body. It is very compact, yet the 40mm is even tinier, so when I don't need the capabilities of the 43mm I often use it instead! Even its lens hood is tiny. I very recently acquired the DA 15mm as well. I have long had numerous FF primes including the FA 35mm f/2, so now I have plenty of choices for a walking or bike-riding kit, now with the KP!

Another I can highly recommend if interested, is the D-FA 100mm WR macro. It is not officially a Limited, but its design, build quality, and appearance are such you would swear it is one! It is a great performer, and you can go about shooting in wet conditions.
It sounds like we have similar tastes in lenses Mike. I only own the DA kit lenses that came with the cameras I purchased. Since my 10D days I have been purchasing my lenses with the thought that they would one day be FF compatible, so I also have the FA Limiteds plus some very good FA, A, and M lenses. It was only natural that I would get the K-1, and I do really like using that camera. I wanted to see the good FF lenses I had used on their native format, and the images just pop. I would still say I prefer the images from the K-1, but I haven't done enough comparisons to know. But the KP is so compact that I do enjoy using the body more, and the image quality is also very very good. I only have a limited amount of DA glass, but I do have the DA Limited primes and the 18-135. I agree about the 77mm Limited and it is not too big. I also have the 31, but I started using the 35 Macro because it is so much smaller and also great image quality.

I usually shoot by cradling the camera with my left hand and operating the camera with my right hand. Even just putting a large lens on the KP is comfortable for me because I usually cradle the camera and lens. Everyone is different, so I would not make a blanket statement about the KP for everyone. But the way I shoot, I don't believe there is a bad lens choice within reason. That is part of the reason I like this camera so. It is so compact, but I can still use it with whatever I choose to hang on it so far. But saying that, petite is more fun and easy to carry. I may use the 31 more than the 35 down the road, but for now that 35 just is fitting for the camera. And big lenses will not be the norm for me on the KP even though I will use them occasionally.

Jimmy: I haven't got to change the grips yet, but I will have to try the rest of them out. Have fun with your KP!

Last edited by 31 Limited; 06-05-2017 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Clarify point made
06-06-2017, 07:24 PM   #7
Pentaxian

It is exactly the use of my full frame lenses in their original view perspective that attracts me to eventually getting a K-1, just as you say, Andy! It would more often press some of these lenses into service. For the most part, however, this would apply to wide angle to moderate tele lenses. I would get it with the 28-105mm kit lens having WR also. And since these FF lenses I would use with it will be small-to-moderate in size this would help offset the weight of the K-1. Even though I love the compact plus quality of the KP with compact quality primes, I find for me, that APS-C also presents some very practical convenience advantages for tele work. So conversely, it will be usually onto an APS-C body that I will be fitting one of my bigger tele lenses, even though they are FF capable . That gives me more effective tele results right off the bat, while carrying less weight and a smaller lens to get the same result, at less cost. This might still be with my K-5 IIs, or on the new KP, which will especially be number 1 for higher ISO situations.

@ jimmy: I have medium size hands and carry in a manner much like Andy, that is to cradle then with a larger lens to grasp it more than the camera, yet I suggest you consider getting the KP battery grip. Is it as good as the K-5 grip for handling? No, but it does pretty well, and makes a definite difference over just going with the larger KP body grip alone when a large lens is mounted. Like you, I also have the DA* 200mm f/2.8 lens. I also have the FA* 300mm f/4.5, so I bought my KP and the grip at the same time from B&H of NYC. Then I could try it with and without, having a 30 day return policy. 1 week later, after 3 periods of considerable general handling these lenses on both cameras with and without the grips, my finding is this: The K-5 IIs handles better under the same conditions with these big lenses, while the KP, with my hands and way of carrying, is still "ok" with any of the body grips, but better with the large body grip. Yet this is still not as good as the same lens on the K-5 body. With a prolonged period of general handling, like walking around a short distance and then sitting on-and-off for about an hour with each setup, It became clear to me that the KP's battery grip was advantageous, though still not as good as the K-5 IIs with battery grip. The K-5 w/grip balances just a bit better, and the KP BG does not have the notch and overhang for the top finger to hook into, because if it did the vertical front dial would be more cumbersome to operate. Yet the BG does indeed offer improved overall handling for the KP with large lenses if you will be using one for any length of time. So I'm keeping the KP battery grip!

Last edited by mikesbike; 06-06-2017 at 07:35 PM.
06-08-2017, 08:04 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I just got mine a few days ago, and I agree with your assessment. I still have and love my K-5 IIs for different reasons, but that is what the KP is all about- there's nothing else quite like it. Compact excellence. I especially love how it handles with my collection of compact limited primes. And last year I bought the Limited zoom as well, and now I can hardly believe how well this lens balances on the KP, even with the small grip! I am in the process of getting to know and appreciate the efficiency of the new controls, since I don't own a K-1.

Congrats, and those of us who also own one do understand your joy!
Could not agree more with all of the above mikesbike, the KP might feel a bit clumsy for one handed shooters with an 16-50mm F2.8 zoom on (Like me!) but thats not how we are meant to shoot anyway, the way the three dials are offered up to the fingers, whilst holding the camera correctly (of course!), is brilliant/genius! It just makes the task of taking pictures so much easier, I have forgotten that it does not have an LCD on the top plate, now that I have realised how seldom I actually used it on my K3, the KP just gets on with the job and helps you to do the same...

06-08-2017, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jules Quote
I have forgotten that it does not have an LCD on the top plate, now that I have realised how seldom I actually used it on my K3, the KP just gets on with the job and helps you to do the same...
So true. With the large type size on the LCD easier to read without my glasses anyway, I have not missed the top display at all. I am about to take the KP on a trip to Colorado, and I can't wait.
06-08-2017, 03:28 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RubyT Quote
I am about to take the KP on a trip to Colorado, and I can't wait
Have fun!

Two of my kids and their families live in CO, and we're going out in Sept.
Planning/hoping to catch the aspens at peak color.
I have a 70mm ltd (regular DA, not HD) coming tomorrow and it will be part of my kit, along with the KP.
Hope to get some pixel shift shots, but need to practice here first to see if it's really worth doing.