Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2017, 12:54 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KP ordered

I have read all the reviews I could find on the KP, but have been able to resist buying it. I was tempted when B&H added the holster, 50mm lens and other goodies to entice one to buy it, but I already had all those other goodies. Next they actually reduced the price a $100, and I was almost there. Then I read where with the reduced price they will still throw in the 50 mm lens, that did it. I ordered my KP with the lens, should have it by Friday.
I already have a FA 50mm F2.8 lens, so not sure if I will keep the new 50.
I did talk it over with my wife, she said go for it

06-06-2017, 01:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congrats!! I love this camera, I hope you do, too.
06-06-2017, 04:12 PM   #3
Forum Member

Yes, congratulations. It is such a joy to use. The more I play with it the more intuitive it becomes.
06-06-2017, 06:53 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations on the KP. What a great wife you have. I hope you do something extra nice for her.

06-06-2017, 07:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats!
I've had mine for about 2 months and could not be happier.
06-06-2017, 07:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats! Is your FA 50mm f/2.8 not a macro lens? If so the AF will often be slower, as this is the nature of macro lenses. You will also appreciate having the f/1.8 in your new lens for low light and the ability for a shallower depth of field, as to blur background and make your subject stand out more. What a great deal for a great camera! It didn't take long for me to be crazy about mine!

As I always do, I recommend setting "fine" to the sharpening in the custom image menu, also increasing sharpness by +1 in the "Natural" category. In the "Bright" category, sharpness is already up +1 by default, so just add "fine" and go from there.

I also have the K-S2, which is delightful for other reasons. it is extra lightweight, has a pretty strong built-in flash with good metering, and the fully articulating screen can be very useful.

Last edited by mikesbike; 06-06-2017 at 08:02 PM.
06-07-2017, 07:38 AM   #7

Enjoy the new KP!! I love mine. I really think it covers all my camera needs. Compact, amazing IQ, so many knobs, and a fun to use!

06-07-2017, 08:06 AM   #8
f22

Congrats! The detail and color rendering are just amazing. I'm using the 18-135 lens and it's great for walking around. You'll get amazing noise-free images at ISO 12,800 and 25,600 starts getting more noticeable noise coloring. Still, it is a tremendous value, and that sale price of $970 with a 50mm lens is a sweet deal. Enjoy.
06-07-2017, 01:34 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all for the comments. If the KP gets here by Friday like it's suppose to be, then Saturday I have a decision. On Saturday our church is having a baptism service, which is indoors. I am the person who takes the photos during this time. Normally I would have used my K-S2, but now I am tempted to use the KP even though I will only have one day experience with it. But since it is in the church sanctuary the scene is static so camera settings shouldn't change much from prior experience. With the higher ISO capabilities I am hoping to avoid the need for flash. I will take both cameras and try to do some test shots prior to start of service, except I won't be able to have a test person in the water.
06-07-2017, 04:04 PM   #10
Forum Member

The high ISO of the KP should serve you well. It sounds as if you have enough experience with Pentax that using the KP should be fairly straight forward. I think you would do fine with the KP, but you may want to have your other camera as a backup plan. So far my experience with the KP is only since Saturday, and I found it to be very intuitive and I trust the output that it has given me. Good luck.