Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2017, 04:52 AM   #1

Best colour settings for the KP?

As I'm a new Pentax user I have no experience whatsoever with the most suitable colour settings in a Pentax camera. I shoot in RAW and of course this means I can modify the files afterwards to my liking, but I'm still wondering what settings are the best to give natural looking results. Many thanks! All advice is more then welcome!

06-20-2017, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which software do you use?

a) set colour space in the camera to the same as used in software. ProRGB or sRGB or whichever. sRGB might be the most limited, but the differences are very very nuanced (many monitors can't show the difference). The real problem is converting from one color space to another; this can sometimes degrade quality/colours. For web use, sRGB is best choice. You can have everything set to sRGB throughout, or you can have the software convert to sRGB upon export when you need images for web. Most photo software can convert this without problem. But websites that you upload photos to will sometimes try to convert it, and they are no as good at it.
b) set colour profile in the software to something that you like. In Lightroom, I prefer Embedded over the Adobe standard. I don't know about the KP, but for many cameras you can find camera profiles online by various groups. You can even make your own. But now I just stick to Embedded, its good enough.
c) Once you start Post Processing, you should usually add a little Vibrance and saturation and clarity and sharpening and contrast.
06-20-2017, 02:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian

If you are meaning the colour options in the info screen - it really is a matter of preference, but many people, myself included use natural if they are going to be reworking stuff in photoshop or lightroom. If you go through each setting and check the parameters you'll get a feel for what they do.
06-20-2017, 04:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
If you are meaning the colour options in the info screen - it really is a matter of preference, but many people, myself included use natural if they are going to be reworking stuff in photoshop or lightroom. If you go through each setting and check the parameters you'll get a feel for what they do.
Ugh I wrote such a long reply and probably completely misunderstood... you are right
The Jpeg mode in the Info options only affects the jpeg photos and the jpeg preview in the raw photos. If you shoot raw, those colour options will be lost, unless you are using the software that came with the camera (the 'Pentax' software can apply the same modes to raw as the camera can). I prefer Film reversal on the rare occasion I shoot jpeg. When I shoot raw I keep it natural to get a closer representation of the raw data.

06-20-2017, 04:07 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Ugh I wrote such a long reply and probably completely misunderstood...
Nevertheless quite a good answer there with regards to colour profiles
06-21-2017, 04:42 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Ugh I wrote such a long reply and probably completely misunderstood... you are right
Indeed an answer with a lot of valuable information. Thank you! Normally I use DXO Optics Pro 11 but at the moment the KP isn't included yet and I can't open the files. A while ago the KP was listed to be included in June so I'm hoping that I don't have to wait a long time. So now I work on the pics with Camera RAW and subsequently photoshop.

---------- Post added 21-06-17 at 04:44 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
Thanks for the tip! I'm using 'natural' at the moment...I'll have a closer look at the parameters!