Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2018, 05:07 AM - 1 Like   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UKCatFan Quote
Thank you for working on this for us all. Can I ask how you did this? I would like to learn how to do it.

I have been mostly satisfied with the results I get changing EXIF data on the files to a K-70, but some pics do not work out well. In particular, there seems to be an issue with reds overexposing when it is not a bright setting and there is high contrast. There is a bunch of noise in the red even when I have all adjustments set to do nothing to the DNG file. I can not adjust anything to get those up to the JPG quality. Some other issues is an overall overexposed image sometimes. I installed your DNG profile and imported the original file for one example. I also have the darkness for the file with that. Bringing the exposure up to where it is supposed to be, the result is a little less red noise and overexposure on another area, but still the JPG is better. It is a high contrast image, where it is in the shade with some sunlight creeping through.

If this sharing works, the top left is unadjusted DNG with EXIF changed to K-70, the right is the JPG, and the bottom is the DNG using your camera profile and exposure brought up to match. The most obvious differences are in the red, but the gray sweatshirt is overexposed as well

Shared album - Kevin Hobstetter - Google Photos
Thanks for that Kevin.

To create the profiles for the KP I used a free utility which is available here: GitHub - asalamon74/afzcamcreator: Corel AfterShot Pro afzcam creator. I ran it on my Mint Linux PC on the command line using "bash". The donor profiles I used were the ones available for the K70, I only ran the program once as a trial and it worked, but not perfectly, I haven't thought about it too much since because my KP has been away for repair. To run the utility you need a donor profile (eg K70, K3 etc) and an example of a DNG from your model of camera, I suspect the script reads the exif of the example DNG and then rewrites the donor profile using the new exif data. This may mean that the output profile was heavily influenced by the choice of example DNG, which was random (I just used the first one I came across) when I ran it. Perhaps it would be worth running the shell script again but using a carefully selected KP DNG image of a colour calibration chart. If I have time I will revisit the problem to see I can improve on this first effort, in the meanwhile perhaps someone else (if you can run the script) can have a go.

Nick

PS. I've just read the blurb on the developers page and noticed that unless you change the icc variable the profile produced uses some aftershot defaults, I will obviously have the run the script again. :-)

Last edited by Nickrs; 03-27-2018 at 05:12 AM. Reason: add a PS
03-27-2018, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As far as a I know, there is absolutely no downside to using dng files instead of PEF.

Your solution is a click away.
03-27-2018, 11:09 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
As far as a I know, there is absolutely no downside to using dng files instead of PEF.

Your solution is a click away.
I agree with this, the DNG format seems just as good and is far better supported.
03-27-2018, 02:06 PM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
With all due respect, Norm but that statement is to wide and far-reaching. There is absolutely no downside, provided we are talking about camera-generated DNG files in cameras which have that option (or even use DNG as their only native format). As for DNG files which are the result of conversion on a PC with suitable software and using a proprietary camera raw file as basis, there certainly are downsides.

03-27-2018, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

]Pentax KP Profile for Aftershot Pro 3. Take two

Pentax KP Profile for Aftershot Pro 3. Take two.

I've had another go at creating an Aftershot Pro 3 camera profile for the KP (v.2). DNGs in AFS Pro 3 using v.2 do not seem to suffer from the darkness. A copy of pentax2_kp-dng.afzcam is attached for anybody to test.

Nick
Attached Files
File Type: zip pentax2_kp-dng.afzcam.zip (12.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: zip pentax2_kp.afzcam.zip (12.1 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Nickrs; 03-27-2018 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Add another attachment
03-27-2018, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #51

Looks like it is working pretty well with the new version. This is two test images I did last night. One is DNG and the other PEF. I copied each file and changed the EXIF to K-70 on one of each.

As KP DNG

As K-70 DNG

As KP PEF

As K-70 PEF

---------- Post added 03-27-18 at 06:34 PM ----------

Getting back to the original high contrast image of mine, the new V.2 profile looks identical to how ASP processes the files as a K-70. I believe that to get that any better, we are going to have to wait for Corel to get around to making an official profile. I wonder if it has anything to do with the accelerator chip? While we wait though, this has made everything a lot easier for me! Thank you for making it for us!!!
03-28-2018, 05:30 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UKCatFan Quote
Looks like it is working pretty well with the new version. This is two test images I did last night. One is DNG and the other PEF. I copied each file and changed the EXIF to K-70 on one of each.

As KP DNG

As K-70 DNG

As KP PEF

As K-70 PEF

---------- Post added 03-27-18 at 06:34 PM ----------

Getting back to the original high contrast image of mine, the new V.2 profile looks identical to how ASP processes the files as a K-70. I believe that to get that any better, we are going to have to wait for Corel to get around to making an official profile. I wonder if it has anything to do with the accelerator chip? While we wait though, this has made everything a lot easier for me! Thank you for making it for us!!!
As I understand it the sensor and the processing engine for the KP are similar or the same as the ones found in the K70 so the official profiles may not be too different.

Glad to help.

Nick
03-31-2018, 02:25 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
With all due respect, Norm but that statement is to wide and far-reaching. There is absolutely no downside, provided we are talking about camera-generated DNG files in cameras which have that option (or even use DNG as their only native format). As for DNG files which are the result of conversion on a PC with suitable software and using a proprietary camera raw file as basis, there certainly are downsides.

you measured that - or you're talking from your mind ?

I mean is this some kind of documented fact or not ?

03-31-2018, 03:14 AM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
you measured that - or you're talking from your mind ?

I mean is this some kind of documented fact or not ?
It's been described to death and back but one of the better descriptions can be found here: Why I No Longer Convert RAW Files to DNG
03-31-2018, 04:03 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
It's been described to death and back but one of the better descriptions can be found here: Why I No Longer Convert RAW Files to DNG

thank you, I would check that thread now...
--
but, what is the case with DNG from Pentax camera itself ?
03-31-2018, 04:30 AM - 1 Like   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
thank you, I would check that thread now...
--
but, what is the case with DNG from Pentax camera itself ?
A straight out of camera DNG is fully equal to a PEF file (or any other proprietary raw format for that matter such as NEF, CR2 etc.) - zero difference unless you use software which doesn't handle DNG (unlikely)