Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
06-24-2017, 01:55 PM   #1
Forum Member

Nobody supporting KP's RAW files yet?

Yesterday I finally got my KP, today I have used it for the first time and now I'd like to work on the files, I have DXO and After Shot, both of them don't support KP's RAW files - at least DXO's website has a time line saying modules will be available in June, so it seems they are working on it.
Waiting for DXO, any other options? how are you processing these files?

PS: I see that LR supports the KP but I have tried it in the past and I don't like Lightroom at all.

Last edited by talgarik; 06-27-2017 at 07:02 AM.
06-24-2017, 02:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by talgarik Quote
Yesterday I finally got my KP, today I have used it for the first time and now I'd like to work on the files, I have DXO and After Shot, both of them don't support KP's RAW files - at least DXO's website has a time line saying modules will be available in June, so it seems they are working on it.
Waiting for DXO, any other options? how are you processing these files?

PS: I don't like Lightroom but out of desperation I have checked its website hoping for a monthyl free trial eventually but it says they don't support the KP.
Why don't you try Rawtherapee at rawtherapee.com?

Best at handling the Pixel Shift processing. And it FREE.

RONC
06-24-2017, 02:06 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the other answer is to change the RAW format to .DNG - you can do that through the camera menus - doesn't help with pics already taken, but for future ease
06-24-2017, 02:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
RawTherapee, DarkTable, DCRAW, Digikam all support the KP (native PEF as well as DNG). RT has the added benefit of excellent handling of pixelshift files.

06-24-2017, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It usually takes a little while for the software companies to catch up with new(-ish) models. You can bet that they're working on the KP... they want as many people buying their software as possible

I can't speak for DxO, but AfterShot (and the Pro version) is very poorly coded when it comes to processing RAW images from cameras it doesn't recognise. It won't load my Hasselblad HV files, even though it's just a Sony A99 in different clothes with a different make and model in the EXIF. That's clearly what they test for when importing files, as it just won't accept my HV's .ARW files, even though Sony's own Image Data Converter - and Lightroom 6 stand-alone - load and process them without any problem. It's one of the reasons I'm staying with Lightroom for now...

As others have said, I'd try RawTherapee for the time being. Or, even Pentax's own software... Once you get used to it, it's not so bad, and you can always save the files as .TIF then load them into Dxo or AfterShot for the rest of your processing
06-24-2017, 03:55 PM   #6
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hoping for a monthyl free trial
If none of the other options mentioned interests you, On1 supports the KP and you can give their free trial a go here: What’s New in ON1 Photo RAW – ON1, Inc.

Tas
06-24-2017, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
the other answer is to change the RAW format to .DNG - you can do that through the camera menus - doesn't help with pics already taken, but for future ease
I expect Adobe's DNG converter would convert his existing KP PEFs to DNG.

06-25-2017, 12:58 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you people! a lot of useful suggestions, as soon as DXO will support the KP I will return to it for two good enough reasons: I know how it works and I have paid for it but in the meantime I will try something new, I have just installed Rawtherapee (btw, it is amazing that a free software already supports the camera while a paid one doesn't, wow!) and it looks rich of features, the learning curve seems to be a long one. I guess I will make use of BigMackCam's idea: save them to .TIF and then complete working on them in DXO
06-27-2017, 02:32 AM   #9

DXO did send me a mail that for Version 11 Users KP is planned to be supported on the 28th June (for free) i.e. tomorrow.
06-27-2017, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Huh? I used Lightroom with my KP (RAW always!) every day on my recent Italian holiday. No issues at all. A total delight actually.

Some results HERE
06-27-2017, 05:09 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Huh? I used Lightroom with my KP (RAW always!) every day on my recent Italian holiday. No issues at all. A total delight actually.

Some results HERE
As I stated in my OP: I don't like LR
I admit the thread's title was not precise
06-27-2017, 05:26 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As I stated in my OP: I don't like LR
Your dislike is a matter of opinion.

However, you also stated that it doesn't support the KP's raw files. That factual error required a response.
06-27-2017, 05:32 AM   #13

The question may be, what support means? Pure processing of KP dng files or other?
06-27-2017, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UlrichSchiegg Quote
The question may be, what support means? Pure processing of KP dng files or other?
I don't understand. I import the DNG, edit it, and export a JPEG. How much more support do you need?
06-27-2017, 07:01 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UlrichSchiegg Quote
DXO did send me a mail that for Version 11 Users KP is planned to be supported on the 28th June (for free) i.e. tomorrow.
great news!
I have toyed with Rawtherapee in the last couple of days - amazing software - but tomorrow I will gladly return to DXO

@Sandy Hancock
I have just checked LR's website and you are absolutely correct, I misread when I first checked I guess, sorry for the confusion.