Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
06-27-2017, 09:18 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I don't understand. I import the DNG, edit it, and export a JPEG. How much more support do you need?
From dng import to jpg export, what does your software do?

DXO only releases a camera if lenses have been measured against that specific camera, such that correction modules are available. A lot of people use the dxo modules as plugins into Adobe software.

06-27-2017, 04:19 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UlrichSchiegg Quote
From dng import to jpg export, what does your software do?
That must be the difference. I manually edit every parameter. No pre-sets, ever.
06-28-2017, 05:16 AM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
That must be the difference. I manually edit every parameter. No pre-sets, ever.
The support UlrichSchiegg is talking about has nothing to do with common pre-sets, DXO is not for "presets guys" DXO offers a unique - as far as I know - feature to adjust technical issues of every camera + lens combination supported by the software.
What is the point of editing manually CA or doing even more elaborated technical corrections? a lab tested correction for every lens+camera combination is much faster and reliable than what you can achieve manually in this regard, not to mention the even more unique features of technical corrections provided by DXO.
Of course such an extended technical support is the reason why DXO is usually slower than other RAW processing softwares in providing support for new cameras.
06-28-2017, 06:03 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess that is where we differ. I don't necessarily *want* to correct everything. For me at least, part of the charm of photography is the character with which each lens renders a scene.

Editing raw images is about evoking the vision and feel of the moment of capture, not satisfying some technocrat's idea of what is correct.

Each to their own

06-28-2017, 06:15 AM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
You won't believe it, Sandy Hancock, but I agree with you.
DXO's corrections are not compulsory, it has a quick feature allowing you to see the result of its corrections and comparing it with the uncorrected image, you can keep them, you can ignore them: your choice
06-28-2017, 06:55 AM   #21

Well, it is not just about lens correction like vignette etc. see below. Some raw converters like DXO and others link the lens to the camera, others do not it, like lightroom. In reviews / tests the raw converters which link the lens to the camera often achieve better results mainly in sharpness, color and noise reduction at high ISO. Negative consequence is, that raw processing time and the duration until modules are available, take longer.

FAQ ? DxO OpticsPro automatic corrections | www.dxo.com

"Why do DxO Optics Modules correspondent to a camera/lens combination instead of just to a lens?

As you can see from DxOMark measurements, a lens’s performance can vary greatly depending on the camera it’s mounted on, so correcting optical defects requires taking into account the specificities of each camera.

For example, the sharpness correction applied by an Optics Module is influenced by the sensor resolution, the presence or absence of a low-pass filter, the sensor’s noise characteristics, etc. It must also compensate for any possible corrections embedded in the camera, which is particularly true of JPEG files, for which corrections are often irreversibly applied."
06-28-2017, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #22
Forum Member

Is there any reason not to use the DNG format? That’s what I have my K-1 set to. As far as I know there isn’t any difference in size or performance with DNG, and it’s practically universally supported. With camera-specific RAW formats I would worry about losing access to the files in 10 or 20 years (especially with Pentax being such a niche player).

06-30-2017, 12:34 PM   #23

DXO corrected release date to 12th July, for those who have the patience to wait, which I happily have :-)
06-30-2017, 09:58 PM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
It is not a matter of patience, for ages the supported cameras list has reported June 2017 as the time for the KP support, paying customers deserve respect. At least the updated info should be reported on their website. What is your source? thanks
07-01-2017, 01:07 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by talgarik Quote
[...] What is your source? thanks
Did ask dxo
07-12-2017, 11:51 AM   #26

Can be downloaded.
07-15-2017, 11:01 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Huh? I used Lightroom with my KP (RAW always!) every day on my recent Italian holiday. No issues at all. A total delight actually.

Some results HERE
Those some really nice shots! I was an idiot when I was there and shot everything in JPEG
07-15-2017, 12:24 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just curious, what does Rawtherapee require as far as disk space and hardware?
07-31-2017, 02:07 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by talgarik Quote
Yesterday I finally got my KP, today I have used it for the first time and now I'd like to work on the files, I have DXO and After Shot, both of them don't support KP's RAW files - at least DXO's website has a time line saying modules will be available in June, so it seems they are working on it.
Waiting for DXO, any other options? how are you processing these files?

PS: I see that LR supports the KP but I have tried it in the past and I don't like Lightroom at all.
Capture One supports KP DNG files. I use it. Support was added in 10.1 or so.
08-21-2017, 02:34 AM   #30
Veteran Member

DxO Optics Pro K-P RAW support is fully implemented as of v11.4.2.
Plus there are now correction modules available for 95 lenses.
http://www.dxo.com/us/photography/photo-software/dxo-opticspro/supported-cameras

Hopefully this also means DxOMark test scores for the K-P will be available soon.