Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2017, 02:45 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery
Available since 12th July. They fixed a bug with the tiff export on the latest release, which came out last week.

09-21-2017, 11:20 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I don't understand. I import the DNG, edit it, and export a JPEG. How much more support do you need?
I've never used Pentax RAW, just set it to DNG instead, supported by every application (I think). I've not been able to find any reason why RAW is superior to DNG. And if it's good enough for Leica ...
09-21-2017, 11:54 PM - 1 Like   #33
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by agp1337 Quote
I've never used Pentax RAW, just set it to DNG instead, supported by every application (I think). I've not been able to find any reason why RAW is superior to DNG. And if it's good enough for Leica ...
DNG is a RAW format.

And no, there is no advantage to using Pentax's proprietary PEF files as they contain the same data.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-02-2017, 12:14 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
DNG is a RAW format.

And no, there is no advantage to using Pentax's proprietary PEF files as they contain the same data.
I know, Adam, so why would anyone actually use Pentax PEF? I can't see the point, I imagine that most image-editing programs can handle DNG. If PEF doesn't have an advantage (file size maybe?) then why bother?

10-02-2017, 12:22 PM   #35
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I know, Adam, so why would anyone actually use Pentax PEF? I can't see the point, I imagine that most image-editing programs can handle DNG. If PEF doesn't have an advantage (file size maybe?) then why bother?
Exactly, there isn't any real reason to use PEF unless you hate Adobe with a passion

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-20-2017, 08:09 PM   #36

Hello everyone!

I am new to posting here, but have read various things here for years.

I am upgrading from a K-50 to a KP next week. I have been an AfterShot user since the Bibble days, and am not looking to change. While I wait for the camera to be supported, I am wondering if a past workaround I figured out will work again.

When I got my K-50, it was not yet supported, so I used an EXIF editor to batch change the model number in the raw files to read as a K-30. It worked surprisingly well! So, now I am wondering if I can do the same thing with the KP files. Any guess on which model would be best match? I am thinking K-70 since it is a newer sensor than the K-3ii. I will probably try both once I it arrives. Just a matter of days!!!
10-20-2017, 08:11 PM   #37
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by UKCatFan Quote
Hello everyone!

I am new to posting here, but have read various things here for years.

I am upgrading from a K-50 to a KP next week. I have been an AfterShot user since the Bibble days, and am not looking to change. While I wait for the camera to be supported, I am wondering if a past workaround I figured out will work again.

When I got my K-50, it was not yet supported, so I used an EXIF editor to batch change the model number in the raw files to read as a K-30. It worked surprisingly well! So, now I am wondering if I can do the same thing with the KP files. Any guess on which model would be best match? I am thinking K-70 since it is a newer sensor than the K-3ii. I will probably try both once I it arrives. Just a matter of days!!!
If the K-70 files are supported, those from the KP should be similar as the KP has the same sensor/NR hardware.

Are you able to open DNGs? Those should be universally supported regardless of camera model.

Adam

10-20-2017, 08:44 PM   #38

The DNG files on AfterShot still need a camera profile to work. The K-50 files were all DNG.

That was my thinking on the K-70 as well. It might even be the same sensor with only software being different. If not, then it seems to be a sequential update.
10-21-2017, 01:55 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think that many people don‘t realize, accept or understand that DNG and PEF are both native camera raw formats for most Pentax DSLR cameras that are not comparable to tiff-based scanner raw files or Adobe DNG Converter based DNG files. The nice thing is that the native Pentax DNG implementations can be processed by most older raw converters like Adobe Bridge CS4 ACR. Even if the camera just hit the market.
10-21-2017, 02:17 PM   #40

It worked! I downloaded a DNG file from the review and used EXIF Pilot to change the model to "PENTAX K-70" and AfterShot recognizes it. It is not ideal for long term, but will do until it is supported.
03-19-2018, 04:11 PM   #41

Photos: Albums
Just created a KP profile for Corel Aftershot Pro 3

Hi KP owners,

Frustrated by Corel's tardiness in creating Pentax KP camera profiles for their Aftershot Pro 3 RAW processing software I've just written my own versions and they appear to work okay, I attach a zip copy of both parts below. One works for jpgs and the other for dng RAW files. So far they have not set fire to my Aftershot Pro 3 but they come without any warranty!

If anybody uses them I would be grateful for any feedback.

Nick
Attached Files
File Type: zip pentax_kp.afzcam.zip (1.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: zip pentax_kp_dng.afzcam.zip (1.2 KB, 40 views)
03-22-2018, 07:14 PM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by Nickrs Quote
Hi KP owners,

Frustrated by Corel's tardiness in creating Pentax KP camera profiles for their Aftershot Pro 3 RAW processing software I've just written my own versions and they appear to work okay, I attach a zip copy of both parts below. One works for jpgs and the other for dng RAW files. So far they have not set fire to my Aftershot Pro 3 but they come without any warranty!

Nick
AFter shot can read my raw files now!. My raw images are very dark now. Anything I need to tweek? Thanks so much for your work. I too have been frustrated also but have not found a product I like as well. I was going to write a quick java util that changes the meta of the camera from kp to k-70 .
03-24-2018, 06:41 AM   #43

Photos: Gallery
Hi KP owners,

Nick
Thank You! You Camera Profile works like a champ! (If your images are too dark when they load, just create a preset) I don't mind using Raw Therapee, but I love how quick and easy Aftershot is, especially with the Perfectly Clear filter option. Will be posting first pics from the KP later today!
03-24-2018, 03:09 PM   #44

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by davidstein1964 Quote
AFter shot can read my raw files now!. My raw images are very dark now. Anything I need to tweek? Thanks so much for your work. I too have been frustrated also but have not found a product I like as well. I was going to write a quick java util that changes the meta of the camera from kp to k-70 .
Hi David,

Yes the DNGs do come out dark, possibly because I used the K70s profile as a template, easy to fix though, just click on AutoLevel or Perfectly Clear at the top of the Basic Adjustments menu seems to turn the lights back on. :-)

Nick

---------- Post added 03-24-18 at 10:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by NatureSeeker808 Quote
Thank You! You Camera Profile works like a champ! (If your images are too dark when they load, just create a preset) I don't mind using Raw Therapee, but I love how quick and easy Aftershot is, especially with the Perfectly Clear filter option. Will be posting first pics from the KP later today!
Thank for your kind words, I just wish I hadn't broken my KP now.

Nick
03-25-2018, 08:22 PM   #45

Hi KP owners,

Nick
Thank you for working on this for us all. Can I ask how you did this? I would like to learn how to do it.

I have been mostly satisfied with the results I get changing EXIF data on the files to a K-70, but some pics do not work out well. In particular, there seems to be an issue with reds overexposing when it is not a bright setting and there is high contrast. There is a bunch of noise in the red even when I have all adjustments set to do nothing to the DNG file. I can not adjust anything to get those up to the JPG quality. Some other issues is an overall overexposed image sometimes. I installed your DNG profile and imported the original file for one example. I also have the darkness for the file with that. Bringing the exposure up to where it is supposed to be, the result is a little less red noise and overexposure on another area, but still the JPG is better. It is a high contrast image, where it is in the shade with some sunlight creeping through.

If this sharing works, the top left is unadjusted DNG with EXIF changed to K-70, the right is the JPG, and the bottom is the DNG using your camera profile and exposure brought up to match. The most obvious differences are in the red, but the gray sweatshirt is overexposed as well

https://photos.app.goo.gl/IEmpj3KRWW71czVS2

Last edited by UKCatFan; 03-25-2018 at 08:29 PM.