Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2017, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Almost returned my KP

A few weeks ago I received my KP, a replacement for my K-S2. I almost sent it back to B&H as defective. I had received it the day before I was going to be taking photos of a baptismal at our church and the wisest thing to have done was use the K-S2 since I was familiar with the layout of it. But I was wanting to use the new camera. I set the special functions up similar to the K-S2, including back button focus and the actual photo settings would be the same as before. Because of the way I would be sitting, I would have to use LV instead of the VF. The morning before church I was playing with the KP settings again and came across “focus peaking in LV” and thought that would be a good thing and checked it but didn’t actually see what the results would look like.
I get to the church, and get into position and the first people to be baptized start entering the water, but as I look through the LV lcd screen all I see is this gray screen with faint outlines of the scene. Plus, as I go to move my thumb to focus, the button is not where my memory tells me it is. On the KP the button is moved slightly from where it is on the K-S2 and I have to actually look at the button. But this gray lcd screen is really throwing me off as to what is happening. I missed the first two people and the rest were taken with poor composition.

Afterward I check looking through the view finder and everything looks proper, but then in LV I get this gray screen with faint outlines of the scene. I was about to box it up and send it back for a return when while going through the camera settings again I noticed the check box on the focus peaking and checked the manual finally to see what that was. When unchecked the lcd screen is back the way I was expecting it to look.
Also, my thumb is getting use to where the button is for the focusing and I no longer have to look at it to find it.
I guess the lesson learned is don’t use something new the day before it’s critical to be use, and READ THE MANUAL.

Here is two of the baptismal photos, the first one at 3200 iso and the last two photos taken with my old K-S2 & little PS work before retiring it.

Last edited by Wingincamera; 07-06-2017 at 01:28 PM.
07-06-2017, 01:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

When I tried the outline only peaking on my KP I did not like it at all either.
Glad you checked the manual.
07-18-2017, 04:51 AM   #3
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Good thing you got it sorted.

I don't know how the outline focus peaking is implemented on the KP, but I rather like how it works on the Ricoh GR. There you can choose how big an area you want to outline; I choose to have just the "focus box" outlined so I can see the rest of the frame clearly. The box can easily be moved to where you want to focus. It's also easy to magnify that box to cover the whole screen to make fine focus adjustments.