Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2017, 07:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Defective battery or defective camera?

Just bought the KP on Wednesday. I'm returning it to B&H on Sunday because of a defective battery. Actually, I don't know if the problem is the battery or the camera, but anyway on a full charge I only got about a dozen shots before getting the "battery depleted" warning. Granted, I was using the menus a lot to set the camera up, and I used Live View a bit also, but I can't believe I drained the battery that fast. Has anyone else noticed weirdness with the battery?

I'm also returning it because for some reason mine only came with two grips, and no hex key to change them. I thought all three and a hex key were supposed to be included...

07-08-2017, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It does sound like a defective battery. I've had old batteries display similar issues as they are dying.
07-08-2017, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #3

Check the shutter count. It could be a previously returned camera.
07-08-2017, 12:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Check the shutter count. It could be a previously returned camera.
That happened to me when I bought my K5.

07-08-2017, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

It could be either. I had one Pentax DSLR body years ago that started eating battery power. It was repaired under warranty. I think you were right to return it for exchange. B&H will probably simply send you another and figure it out afterwards. They are great to deal with. In the box should be one grip on the camera- the small size, then the other 2 sizes as well, along with the little allen wrench.

The smaller battery used with the KP does run low much faster than that of the K-5. Same story with other smaller Pentax DSLRs, like the K-S2 which I also own I know since I also use the K-5 IIs.

I bought my KP from B&H and have been happy with their service and delighted with the KP! Just be sure to order at least one extra battery and put a full charge on both. I have also noticed the smaller battery can eventually weaken if left stored in the camera for a length of time. Much less noticeable if doing so with the K-5.

Last edited by mikesbike; 07-08-2017 at 03:45 PM.
07-10-2017, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My KP (from B&H) came with the three grips and hex key.