Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2017, 01:13 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My experience with the Sigma Art 30 on the KP

I can't find the thread where this was asked, but someone wanted to know if the Sigma Art 30 exhibited the same PDAF slow-focus/no-focus problems on the KP that it did on previous bodies. I shot for over an hour yesterday with the KP in 27-point autoselect, and did not observe the problem once. I noticed a tiny hesitation once or twice when I had the camera in AF.A, but my hands may have been shaking slightly, causing the camera to have trouble auto-selecting between AF.S and AF.C modes.

I have used my copy of the Art 30 on a number of bodies in the past, and I was able to recreate the AF problem on all of them in a matter of seconds. I was not able to do this with the KP, which makes me think that either my copies of Art 30 and KP just get along better, or the KP's AF tweaks have solved the problem. YMMV.

The Art 30 tended to over-expose by about half a stop compared to the other lenses I was shooting. Because of the 500g weight of the Art 30, I used the 'medium' grip with it; it was quite comfortable.

07-10-2017, 01:30 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent news!

I know the Art 30 has as many or more critics as it has fans, but it's a lens I've wanted for quite a while. I've held off acquiring one, though, because of the AF issues. I guess it will still be off my list for now, as I have no intention of changing my current K-3 / K-3II setup in the short-to-medium term, but nice to know you've had such good results with the KP.
08-03-2017, 07:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
hmm.. I have 30 art ad it's ok in 90% with K30 an K-S2 but..if it's 100% on KP..hmmmm THX