Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2017, 01:27 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Tips for KP outta' the box!!!!!!!

So stoked! My KP is waiting at home for me! My trusty K5iis will finally get some rest! So, what tips do you all have for a brand new KP owner? You know, things you wish somebody had told you when you first got the camera! Maybe this could end up being a sticky if it was well participated in?

Thanks in advance!!!!!

07-12-2017, 01:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mcleoud151 Quote
So, what tips do you all have for a brand new KP owner?
My tip, don't touch it until you've read the entire manual front to back.
Congrats, I think you'll love it, I do mine.
Have you seen PF's full review?
07-12-2017, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
Reading it now!

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
My tip, don't touch it until you've read the entire manual front to back.
Congrats, I think you'll love it, I do mine.
Have you seen PF's full review?
LOL, I'm reading it now! Can't wait!
07-12-2017, 01:58 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Info screen looks a little different from previous bodies, but it is customizable. If there is a item that you are used to having on the Info screen (in my case, AF mode/number of focus points), you can put it back where you are used to seeing it. I think I currently have focus mode, focus points, "maximum for auto-ISO", and "focal length for Shake Reduction" all clustered together on the bottom row, since those are the things I am most likely to change on the fly.

The default maximum for auto-ISO is 6400 - I think the KP can do slightly better at ISO 6400 than my K-5II could do at ISO 3200 (!), but that is a change you probably should be aware of.

Have fun!

07-12-2017, 02:08 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
The Info screen looks a little different from previous bodies, but it is customizable. If there is a item that you are used to having on the Info screen (in my case, AF mode/number of focus points), you can put it back where you are used to seeing it. I think I currently have focus mode, focus points, "maximum for auto-ISO", and "focal length for Shake Reduction" all clustered together on the bottom row, since those are the things I am most likely to change on the fly.

The default maximum for auto-ISO is 6400 - I think the KP can do slightly better at ISO 6400 than my K-5II could do at ISO 3200 (!), but that is a change you probably should be aware of.

Have fun!
That's exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for! Thank's! Only a few hours now I am so excited to have even a stop better ISO at the beach!
07-12-2017, 05:50 PM   #6

Threw my manual back in the box with all the other paper stuff. Took the camera out to shoot as soon as the battery charged.

Put the program mode on the running man. Set the shooting mode to continuous high. Focal point to small select. Custom image to vibrant. Top dial to TV mode.
07-13-2017, 07:19 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by idontstairs Quote
Threw my manual back in the box with all the other paper stuff. Took the camera out to shoot as soon as the battery charged.

Put the program mode on the running man. Set the shooting mode to continuous high. Focal point to small select. Custom image to vibrant. Top dial to TV mode.
HA! I did the same...was going to the beach anyway for a fire n' smores with the family. I goofed with a bunch of different settings. It definitely seemed to like the smaller focal area. Shutter button has a completely different feel than my K5iis or any of my previous Pentax cameras over the last couple decades. Camera seems awesome; sadly I didn't have time to check any of the photos out on the monitor last night.

07-14-2017, 12:39 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Forum Member

My tip: burst mode won't work if you have 'clarity' set to anything but '0' (even if shooting raw) >> had me confused for a good few hours!