Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2017, 06:50 AM   #1

Pentax KP vs K5-ii (Is an upgrade worth it?)

Hi all,

I am considering to swap my K5ii for the new KP and I dont know if it is worth it.

I own a K5-ii and a CanonG16 and use them strictly for devided purposes.
If I I do anything where I dont want to carry around HEAVY gear I go for my Canon PowerShot G16. Its good enough for a quick shot and for social activity situations. Though for serious portraits, product fotography, some simple reproduction work and casual wedding fotography I take my K5ii (77mm, 50mm, 28mm). I hate landscapes and I love shooting in low light. I also use two YongNuo flashes with my K5ii.

The K5-ii: my issues
I love my K5ii because it is so compact and still it is a full featured DSLR. It has an AMAZING haptic experience, it really feels great holding it in my hand.
The menue design is lovely. The shutter sound - adorable. The metalic battery door is so elaborate. Such a small detail that gives me a smile every time I open it. The dials feel like they are "made to be turned". Imho K5ii is made for people who "feel" photography. And I am one of those.

But the two major issues I have with K5ii are:
  • The Autofocus: I quite often see pictures coming from my K5ii that miss the sharpness for some reason. It sometimes is slitghtly off. I attribute it to the AF.
  • The Tethering: I really miss a native wired tethering solution for my K5ii. I tried once the hack tool pktether, but it does not work really well with the K5ii.
  • The wireless flashing (minor): Sometimes when I shoot with YongNuo flashes (using a remote controller) they fail. (it might be the YN systems fault, though Canon users dont report these issues)
  • The shutter: In some situations the shutter sound is too loud on the K5ii. I miss an option to mute it.
KP: the reasons
Now, in some "Why I will buy KP"-Thread I read that KP will support wired thethering like Pentax does with 645Z. Is that true? Did anyone try it out with his KP?In some "Why I wont buy KP"-Theread I read that KP AutoFocus is still below par compared to other brands (Canikon?, Fujitsu?). Is that true?

I really digg the new KP design and the replaceble handles. Oh those dials inherited from the K1 are great. This will give an even bigger "feel" phtography experience. I also love the fact, that KP pretty much the same weight as the K5ii. I miss a bit the fact that KP has only one SD slot.

Should I think of an upgrade?

Last edited by magic.pill; 07-19-2017 at 06:59 AM.
07-19-2017, 07:39 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you'd enjoy the upgrade as it hits on all of your points, except for the wired tethering, which sadly is not supported. There are viable community developed wireless options that can run on a PC, though.

As for the AF, it will feel about the same for stationary subjects in single point mode, a bit faster and more accurate in auto point mode, and noticeably more effective when a moving subject moves toward or away from the camera. Combine this with the AF speed of the new 55-300mm PLM lens and you'll be in for a treat.

Above all else, the increase in image quality is probably what you'll enjoy most.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-19-2017, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magic.pill Quote
Though for serious portraits, product fotography, some simple reproduction work and casual wedding fotography I take my K5ii (77mm, 50mm, 28mm). I hate landscapes and I love shooting in low light.
You would love the new sensor, you would not like the battery and card doors (they are fine, they are better than what you get on canikon cameras in this price range, alas Pentax has spoiled its users during the years, so I was a little bit disappointed when I got my hands on my KP, but let me add that beside these small details it is a marvelous camera).
07-19-2017, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I rented a KP for a week to make exactly the same decision. In short, I'm still shooting with my K-5IIs.

The reason I was interested was the KP's high-ISO capability -- and it's pretty amazing. But the main reasons I didn't buy one would be very short battery life compared to the K-5; a different battery; and the lack of a top LCD, which bothered me more than I expected. If I spent more than $1k on a new camera I want it to check more boxes. (I wrote more about my experience on the other forum.)

That said, I'm keeping my eye on prices while hoping that Ricoh will put that delicious new sensor in a K-3III body soon....

07-20-2017, 12:55 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies gents.

After reading you comments I decided NOT to buy the KP.

Although the new sensor is REALLY an attractive proposition I wish to have the tethering option too much and I miss it in the KP. I suppose my expectation to have tethering as an option in the price range of a KP is not justifiable. Pentax seems to use this option to up-sale to the high end cameras like K1 and 645Z. Fair enough. I even would not mind to pay a higher price for tethering, though K1 and 645z literally are just too heavy for me.

MP

P.S.: Interestingly I do not mind at all to have a decreased battery capacity. The lack of LCD is really a bummer though.
07-22-2017, 03:39 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Fine choice, your next camera could be the K-3ii replacement then
07-22-2017, 11:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think an upgrade is definitely a good idea. One point that you could find important as well is the screen. The later Pentax cameras have better rear displays that somehow show the sharpness of the just-taken shot better than the K5/K5ii models.

07-23-2017, 03:56 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't miss the top LCD, though I thought I would. The back one is much easier for my older eyes to read, especially since I set it to Not Wearing My Glasses Large.
07-23-2017, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #9
Forum Member

I still have a K5IIs and it performs admirably...but it doesn't get used since I purchased the KP. And I echo Ruby's thoughts on the top LCD. I just don't find myself missing it.
07-24-2017, 01:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Sounds like the forthcoming K-3 II replacement may be the one for you, although it will probably be slightly heavier than the K-5.

Last edited by mikesbike; 07-24-2017 at 01:23 AM.
07-25-2017, 12:38 AM   #11
Pentaxian

There is something about the combination of compactness, features, ergos, and just feel with the KP that makes me want to use it and carry it around constantly- which I do. You would not regret acquiring one.
07-25-2017, 01:50 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I preferred my K-3 to the K-5 IIs, but I haven't been even tempted to use my K-3 since I got a KP.

Forget wired tethering though. The WiFi is a rather clunky work-around, but it gets the job done.
07-25-2017, 02:09 AM - 1 Like   #13

Although it looks like the OP has made their decision, others might have the same concerns so here is what the manual says regarding the tethering discussion; Page 93 of the manual states you can perform wired tethering but you need to get the optional software.

"You can perform tethered shooting with the camera connected
to a computer using the optional “IMAGE Transmitter 2”
software. Captured images can be directly saved to the
computer"

That being said I don't have experience actually using it so I don't know if it would work in your specific circumstances.
08-03-2017, 01:59 AM   #14
Pentaxian

-But Ricoh will take away $200 from your wallet. Expensive.
08-06-2017, 02:06 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by taneval23 Quote
Although it looks like the OP has made their decision, others might have the same concerns so here is what the manual says regarding the tethering discussion; Page 93 of the manual states you can perform wired tethering but you need to get the optional software.

"You can perform tethered shooting with the camera connected
to a computer using the optional “IMAGE Transmitter 2”
software. Captured images can be directly saved to the
computer"

That being said I don't have experience actually using it so I don't know if it would work in your specific circumstances.
That is interesting. Is there a link to where to purchase that software?