Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by derelict Quote
Welp, I just pushed buy at B&H!
Congrats! You'll be happy I'll bet.
07-28-2017, 09:19 AM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richard70 Quote
I'm familiar with the stop down metering technique and have used it with success on previous Pentax camera models I've owned

However using the KP I'm finding that the metering is way off, massively over exposing. This is across several manual lenses I own. They're stopping down correctly, I can see the blades shut down by either using the green button or preview technique. The lenses have snappy apertures, I've even half mounted them to 'fix' the aperture (by passing the aperture lever), but the metering is still way off like 5 or 6 stops.

Using them in AV wide open, no problem meters perfectly.

Just to confirm this issue is in Manual mode with a fixed ISO, even covered the viewfinder... helps but still doesn't cure.

The results are better in live view, but still not perfect.

Anyone one else tried old lenses, especially the Pentax-m series?
Hi Richard, sorry for the delayed reply!

I have only been using the K28 3.5 on the KP, but do have two copies to test. I have found both to consistently overexpose by 2/3 - 1 stop when using green button stop-down metering in manual mode and fixed ISO. However, this is also consistent with their performance on my old K-5, perhaps a little worse with the KP.

I had got used to metering and then adjusting the exposure by 2 clicks of the front wheel, but adjusting the exposure compensation is much more sensible - thanks stevebrot for the tip!
08-08-2017, 12:21 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Congrats! You'll be happy I'll bet.
Well, I actually was not. I ended up returning it.

It is big. It is not nearly as svelte as I was thinking it was. It did not feel any smaller or more maneuverable than my old K7. Perhaps I am just used to my mirrorless Olympus gear but I just cannot understand why Pentax added the prism box to it instead of going for to a mirrorless body. Could have made it smaller, lighter, more compact if they had. I just could not see it as a replacement for my Olympus gear. When Pentax steps up and produces a K mount mirrorless body, I will place another order. They had the ability to do it with the KP. It would have made it lighter and more compact. I really wish I liked it.

08-08-2017, 02:54 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tbelf Quote
I have only been using the K28 3.5 on the KP, but do have two copies to test. I have found both to consistently overexpose by 2/3 - 1 stop when using green button stop-down metering in manual mode and fixed ISO. However, this is also consistent with their performance on my old K-5, perhaps a little worse with the KP.
Yes, stop-down metering using the viewfinder meter is still not so great. What I have been experimenting with is stop-down metering using live view. With no focus screen in the optical path, the live view meter is nicely linear and accurate. For non-tripod work, I set the meter ahead of time and use the optical viewfinder for actual shooting. Works great!

Steve
08-08-2017, 02:56 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It is big. It is not nearly as svelte as I was thinking it was. It did not feel any smaller or more maneuverable than my old K7. Perhaps I am just used to my mirrorless Olympus gear but I just cannot understand why Pentax added the prism box to it instead of going for to a mirrorless body. Could have made it smaller, lighter, more compact if they had. I just could not see it as a replacement for my Olympus gear. When Pentax steps up and produces a K mount mirrorless body, I will place another order. They had the ability to do it with the KP. It would have made it lighter and more compact. I really wish I liked it.
Have you considered the Sony A7/A7II or one of the APS-C A-mount bodies? They will accept Pentax lenses with an adapter and meet your other criteria.

Steve
08-08-2017, 03:05 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A K-mount MILC will never happen. A Pentax MILC with a new e-mount and an EVF is highly unlikely.

08-09-2017, 04:50 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
A K-mount MILC will never happen. A Pentax MILC with a new e-mount and an EVF is highly unlikely.
Well, that is a bummer. That means that for digital, I am probably done with Pentax.
08-09-2017, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

I own an olympus em5 and a Kp, and I really like them both, but they're totally different products for different market sectors. The upgrade from Olympus is probably going to be another Olympus.
08-14-2017, 09:29 AM   #25

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by richard70 Quote
I tried a factory reset to rule out any settings I might have erroneously applied, unfortunately it was still the same.

However stevebrot your reply has led to a solution, although previously EV was set to zero, dialling in a negative value is giving me consistent results. It seems on the KP they're linked (EV) for both optical and LV where you say they are separate on the K3, but I can live with that. I always thought that in Manual mode that the EV would be reset, but it seems that once you've added a value it remains... so I'm down to a single metering click prior to releasing the shutter which is great.

Thanks for your help.
It is a great feature of Pentax that it memorizes EV. That way everybody can tune to his personal preferences (some do exposure to the right, others don't, ...). And if you don't like it, you can set it, such that the camera doesn't memorize. Also when you use a flash in manual mode, it is a great feature. Green buttom will always consider the dialed in EV setting. It is these little tricks, why I like the Pentax product.

I use many (# > 10) "old" on the KP (K, M, A, adaptall from Tamron, trioplan and have not run across a problem. The new SR is great.
08-25-2017, 01:43 PM   #26
Pentaxian

The screen on the rear, is it touchscreen or
do focusing points need to be changed through menu/ d pad?
No touchscreen on the rear.
AF will adjust focusing points for you automatically, if you set it to A-27.
AF point mode can be change within a second by holding AF-Mode button and the rear e-dial.
AF pont can be changed in SEL with the /\ \/ > < arrow keys.
08-25-2017, 05:32 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
They will accept Pentax lenses with an adapter and meet your other criteria.
Alas, a K to E-mount lens adapter adding another 3 cm to the front of the camera won't help make a body like the A7 smaller or more maneuverable.

But even with Olympus and native lenses, 'small and maneuverable' very much depends on the lens you hang off it. And the other accessories that you may need to use - flash, battery grip etc. Plus if your camera spends it's life on a tripod, 'small and maneuverable' will hardly apply with any camera.
08-25-2017, 05:48 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Alas, a K to E-mount lens adapter adding another 3 cm to the front of the camera won't help make a body like the A7 smaller or more maneuverable.
Sort of like an A7 with the Sony A adapter coupled to a Minolta zoom?

Steve
09-21-2018, 05:50 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As for the original post, I am using a M50-f/1.7 and a A28-f/2.8 lens, also a legacy Tamron 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 with aperture ring, in manual mode, fixed ISO setting, with green button stop-down metering and my Pentax KP has no problem at all, metering works fine, in both cases: using live-view or the VF.
I am very happy with my KP.
09-21-2018, 05:50 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As for the original post, I am using a M50-f/1.7 and a A28-f/2.8 lens, also a legacy Tamron 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 with aperture ring, in manual mode, fixed ISO setting, with green button stop-down metering and my Pentax KP has no problem at all, metering works fine, in both cases: using live-view or the VF.
I am very happy with my KP.