Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-19-2017, 02:05 PM   #1

Anyone tried legacy lenses on their Pentax KP?

I'm familiar with the stop down metering technique and have used it with success on previous Pentax camera models I've owned

However using the KP I'm finding that the metering is way off, massively over exposing. This is across several manual lenses I own. They're stopping down correctly, I can see the blades shut down by either using the green button or preview technique. The lenses have snappy apertures, I've even half mounted them to 'fix' the aperture (by passing the aperture lever), but the metering is still way off like 5 or 6 stops.

Using them in AV wide open, no problem meters perfectly.

Just to confirm this issue is in Manual mode with a fixed ISO, even covered the viewfinder... helps but still doesn't cure.

The results are better in live view, but still not perfect.

Anyone one else tried old lenses, especially the Pentax-m series?

07-22-2017, 05:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I've found mine works fine with M series lenses.

My K10 did something similar to that, setting the metering to general rather than spot helped, but it didn't fix it.
07-22-2017, 07:59 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply sqrrl, I've tried both available metering modes sadly to no avail.

Currently the only solution seems to be either optical preview that shows on screen and keep adjusting (5 or more stops) or meter in live view then switch back to optical.

Just frustrating additional steps, not too bad on a tripod... but hand held it's a bit of a mare.

Shame because the m series lenses look really nice in the KP and are cheap additions.
07-22-2017, 06:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richard70 Quote
Thanks for your reply sqrrl, I've tried both available metering modes sadly to no avail.

Currently the only solution seems to be either optical preview that shows on screen and keep adjusting (5 or more stops) or meter in live view then switch back to optical.

Just frustrating additional steps, not too bad on a tripod... but hand held it's a bit of a mare.

Shame because the m series lenses look really nice in the KP and are cheap additions.
I will reset the camera to factory setting , in case that you turn some special setting .

07-22-2017, 07:45 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will butt in despite not owning a KP. I did a bit of look-see and found another forum member who has been shooting a Pentax-K 28/3.5 on their KP. With any luck @tbelf will check in on this thread. Alternatively, perhaps a private message:

tbelf - View Profile - PentaxForums.com

I have been shooting non-A glass with stop-down metering for about a decade and have assisted quite a few people with the process, but your issue, I have not run across before.

Steve
07-22-2017, 07:53 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I think I may have an answer for you. Do you, by any chance, have exposure compensation set.

When I set my K-3 to +2 EV for viewfinder metering and zero for live view, I can replicate your symptoms with my Pentax-M 50/1.7.

BTW...Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Steve

(...seldom use EC and have it set to not be remembered when camera is turned off...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-22-2017 at 08:24 PM.
07-23-2017, 12:45 AM   #7

Original Poster
I tried a factory reset to rule out any settings I might have erroneously applied, unfortunately it was still the same.

However stevebrot your reply has led to a solution, although previously EV was set to zero, dialling in a negative value is giving me consistent results. It seems on the KP they're linked (EV) for both optical and LV where you say they are separate on the K3, but I can live with that. I always thought that in Manual mode that the EV would be reset, but it seems that once you've added a value it remains... so I'm down to a single metering click prior to releasing the shutter which is great.

Thanks for your help.

07-26-2017, 08:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I am considering a KP to allow me to use my film era lenses that I use with my MX. I currently use an Olympus and get a preview in the EVF. Does the KP not give you that (assuming it also has an electronic viewfinder)?
07-26-2017, 05:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derelict Quote
I am considering a KP to allow me to use my film era lenses that I use with my MX. I currently use an Olympus and get a preview in the EVF. Does the KP not give you that (assuming it also has an electronic viewfinder)?
No EVF on the KP - it has a mechanical optical preview, live view is on the rear screen.
07-26-2017, 05:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

So I'm about to push the buy button to take advantage of the sale. I'm planning on having this as my digital companion to my Pentax film bodies and replacing my Olympus M4/3 gear. I have a few M and A series lenses I will use with this, along with buying a sealed wide to normal zoom. What is holding me back is the focusing screen. How is it? Manual focusing on my K7 was not fun. I like that it is a mirror instead of a screen (although EVF has it's advantages) so I'm not dependant upon faintly outlined in white objects. But, I'm assuming the good old days of a split prism are long gone. I'd it just a plain matte screen like the older K series bodies?
07-26-2017, 07:04 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So I'm about to push the buy button to take advantage of the sale. I'm planning on having this as my digital companion to my Pentax film bodies and replacing my Olympus M4/3 gear. I have a few M and A series lenses I will use with this, along with buying a sealed wide to normal zoom. What is holding me back is the focusing screen. How is it? Manual focusing on my K7 was not fun. I like that it is a mirror instead of a screen (although EVF has it's advantages) so I'm not dependant upon faintly outlined in white objects. But, I'm assuming the good old days of a split prism are long gone. I'd it just a plain matte screen like the older K series bodies?
It is the traditional bright matte focusing screen. The OVF is larger, brighter and better than K-7. Focus Confirmation helps but I have trouble at age 62 with critical focus at wide apertures using my extensive collection K, M and A series series lenses.

The high ISO capability allows me to use a narrower aperture and thus deeper in-focus zone for many images. If I really need the shallow DoF or OOF background I use the K-1. That VF is awesome - big enough to critical focus just using the matte screen
07-27-2017, 04:17 AM   #12
Veteran Member

So, here is my question. If it has a mirror box, like an SLR/ DSLR, is it still considered mirrorless? My OMD is mirrorless. The Sonys are mirrorless. This is misclassified, correct?
07-27-2017, 04:33 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So, here is my question. If it has a mirror box, like an SLR/ DSLR, is it still considered mirrorless? My OMD is mirrorless. The Sonys are mirrorless. This is misclassified, correct?
You are confused. It is not classified as a mirrorless camera. It is classified as a digital single lens reflex camera because it actually has a mirror.
07-28-2017, 05:42 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
You are confused. It is not classified as a mirrorless camera. It is classified as a digital single lens reflex camera because it actually has a mirror.
That was my fault. I thought it was mirrorless. It is just a slimmed down DSLR. I am still considering it though to streamline my gear. The screen on the rear, is it touchscreen or do focusing points need to be changed through menu/ d pad?
07-28-2017, 06:48 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That was my fault. I thought it was mirrorless. It is just a slimmed down DSLR. I am still considering it though to streamline my gear. The screen on the rear, is it touchscreen or do focusing points need to be changed through menu/ d pad?
It is not touchscreen. Really, KP is a traditional DSLR in a thin body designed to maximize the small-size utility of the DA Limited pancake lenses. It competes on a raw size basis with a true MILC (with lens mounted). On a features basis some elements are high consumer and others are enthusiast / near professional, so it is a challenge to pigeonhole.

I'm delighted with mine as an alternative to my K-1.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-28-2017 at 07:40 AM.