Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2017, 10:14 AM   #1

Downgrading from a Nikon D750 to KP or Fuji XT2?

Hello everyone,
I need some advice.
Background: I'm a beginner in photography even though I have owned some relatively sophisticated gear. I'll admit it...I thought the gear made the picture but after owning a FF Nikon D750, I realized a few things:
1- I don't know much about photography
2- FF bodies are complicated, heavy and not very enjoyable
3- Something about Nikon makes their cameras impersonal and very mainstream.
I previously owned a Pentax K5. The feel in the hand was incredible.
Here I am 1 year into owning the D750 ready to sell it in order to move to a smaller, more enjoyable but decent camera. I own two FF Nikon lenses which I'm ready to sell with the body. I also still own a limited prime lens from Pentax 40mm 2.8 pancake. Right now I'm looking at Pentax KP but not sure whether it would be any good. I want a camera worth learning photography on.
Would you recommend the Pentax KP? Would the Fuji XT2 be a better choice on the long run...I have a preference for OVF which I know is absent in the XT2.

Your help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks,
H.

08-01-2017, 10:29 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the KP would be a great choice.
08-01-2017, 10:45 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I had a d750 for a little while and sold it for the reasons you mentioned. If you like an OVF the KP is a great choice.
08-01-2017, 10:50 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't know if there is any way to try them both? Also, do you like the idea of the retro styling of Fuji cameras?

For me, personally, I very much prefer using two control wheels and having a 100 percent penta prism and that would give the nod to the KP, but these sorts of things are very much person specific. The other thing is to figure out what other glass you would want. An 18-135 and 55-300 plus a DA 15 limited would be a nice combination with the DA 40 limited.

08-01-2017, 01:08 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HAC Quote
Right now I'm looking at Pentax KP but not sure whether it would be any good. I want a camera worth learning photography on.
Would you recommend the Pentax KP? Would the Fuji XT2 be a better choice on the long run...I have a preference for OVF which I know is absent in the XT2.
I have recently said farewell to FF, now I own a KP - and I consider it the best camera I've ever had - but the X-T2 was on my shortlist.
The way I see it the KP is a camera developed by Pentax aiming at users loving some features of the CSC world - and the retro styling popularized by Fujifilm and Olympus - but still having a preference for an OVF.
First of all: do you shoot raw? if the answer is yes then consider that Fujifilm's RAW format it is not to everybody's (and every PP software) taste. If you shoot jpeg's only then Fujifilm has an edge, it is not only a matter of settings, in my experience Fujifilm's image processors are better than Pentax's ones dealing with CA, purple fringing and whatever in camera corrections we have come to expect in today's cameras, even Prime IV on the KP cannot compete with Fujifilm on that. When I owned Fujifilm I have shot in absurd lighting conditions and the camera has always delivered amazing and clean jpeg (though - always according to my experience - Fujifilm delivers clean images smudging a lot of detail).
Fujifilm is still expanding its range of lenses but Pentax remains ahead in terms of offerings, the overall quality is similar, Pentax lenses (most of the time) are cheaper.
The OVF it is not the only feature that distinguishes Pentax cameras from Fujifilm: IMO SR and numerous WR lenses are important too.
In the end the choice here is a matter of personal preference for a certain feature, lens or overall ergonomic feeling, so I agree with Rondec: try 'em before buying.
08-01-2017, 01:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For what it's worth:

I own K7, K5 and K3. .. the KP sure seems like a deal when you are used to the Pentax line of cameras.
I also have a Fuji X-E2 ... the ergonomics and menu system are nowhere near, user-friendly wise, to what Pentax has.
True that the X-E2 is not the XT2 but ... it basically works the same internally and it also has the EVF which I don't particularly like (but it's a fun camera to use, plus I don't shoot RAW ever with it).

If you previously had a K5, the KP would be a no brainer in replacing your D750 (also a great camera but you don't want the bulk and, evidently as you mentioned, it is too much camera for your usage)
I read great reviews about the KP right here on Pentax Forums.

As already suggested in previous posts: try both !
08-01-2017, 01:46 PM   #7
HAC

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by talgarik Quote
I have recently said farewell to FF, now I own a KP - and I consider it the best camera I've ever had - but the X-T2 was on my shortlist.
The way I see it the KP is a camera developed by Pentax aiming at users loving some features of the CSC world - and the retro styling popularized by Fujifilm and Olympus - but still having a preference for an OVF.
First of all: do you shoot raw? if the answer is yes then consider that Fujifilm's RAW format it is not to everybody's (and every PP software) taste. If you shoot jpeg's only then Fujifilm has an edge, it is not only a matter of settings, in my experience Fujifilm's image processors are better than Pentax's ones dealing with CA, purple fringing and whatever in camera corrections we have come to expect in today's cameras, even Prime IV on the KP cannot compete with Fujifilm on that. When I owned Fujifilm I have shot in absurd lighting conditions and the camera has always delivered amazing and clean jpeg (though - always according to my experience - Fujifilm delivers clean images smudging a lot of detail).
Fujifilm is still expanding its range of lenses but Pentax remains ahead in terms of offerings, the overall quality is similar, Pentax lenses (most of the time) are cheaper.
The OVF it is not the only feature that distinguishes Pentax cameras from Fujifilm: IMO SR and numerous WR lenses are important too.
In the end the choice here is a matter of personal preference for a certain feature, lens or overall ergonomic feeling, so I agree with Rondec: try 'em before buying.
I will try to find a store that carries both or try to find them in different stores. I need to check the grip and feel in hand on both. Thanks a lot for the valuable comments. I have a feeling that OVF will still have weight in my decision making process but you can never know. KP is also cheaper than the XT2 for what I expect to be similar to better build quality.
Thanks again.

---------- Post added 08-02-17 at 12:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't know if there is any way to try them both? Also, do you like the idea of the retro styling of Fuji cameras?

For me, personally, I very much prefer using two control wheels and having a 100 percent penta prism and that would give the nod to the KP, but these sorts of things are very much person specific. The other thing is to figure out what other glass you would want. An 18-135 and 55-300 plus a DA 15 limited would be a nice combination with the DA 40 limited.
I will try to find a store that carries both or try to find them in different stores. I need to check the grip and feel in hand on both. Thanks a lot for the valuable comments. I have a feeling that OVF will still have weight in my decision making process but you can never know. KP is also cheaper than the XT2 for what I expect to be similar to better build quality.
Thanks again.

---------- Post added 08-02-17 at 12:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
I had a d750 for a little while and sold it for the reasons you mentioned. If you like an OVF the KP is a great choice.
Finally. Someone that got away from the unwieldy D750 !

---------- Post added 08-02-17 at 12:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
I think the KP would be a great choice.
Thx for the reply!

---------- Post added 08-02-17 at 12:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
For what it's worth:

I own K7, K5 and K3. .. the KP sure seems like a deal when you are used to the Pentax line of cameras.
I also have a Fuji X-E2 ... the ergonomics and menu system are nowhere near, user-friendly wise, to what Pentax has.
True that the X-E2 is not the XT2 but ... it basically works the same internally and it also has the EVF which I don't particularly like (but it's a fun camera to use, plus I don't shoot RAW ever with it).

If you previously had a K5, the KP would be a no brainer in replacing your D750 (also a great camera but you don't want the bulk and, evidently as you mentioned, it is too much camera for your usage)
I read great reviews about the KP right here on Pentax Forums.

As already suggested in previous posts: try both !
Thx for the advice!
11-12-2017, 03:51 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I recently bought Fuji X-T20 for darker winter times when it gets impossible to use my 4x5" setup. Well, it was horrible to use due to small size, it was so tiny I had to install additional grip and still it was on the border to be of any use. I sold it off and have been looking at a slightly used KP sold locally for pretty good price. It seems Ricoh managed to extract quite a bit juice out of the 24MP chip.

Now a question to KP owners: How long exposure does it handle at base ISO without long exposure noise reduction? Can it reach 1-2 minutes without white dot show? These new Fuji crop bodies cannot.

11-14-2017, 08:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I think moving to a Pentax KP would be a really good choice. Very "light" and "fun" camera BUT it delivers the goods the big time. I certainly LOVE mine, in fact it is used ALOT, not as much as my K-3 II but it finds its way into my hands. Typically that is because I want the 16-85 I have on the K-3 II and not the 20-40 I have on the KP. If you get a KP let us know how you like it.
11-14-2017, 08:17 PM   #10
mee
Pentaxian

This thread is from August.

But I would be interested in knowing what decision was made by HAC... if he is willing to share.
11-15-2017, 04:31 AM   #11
Pentaxian

From my PoV as former K-1 user, only thing really missing in KP is better battery life with the default battery. 36MP Pixel Shift is a level above but only with superb glass. Hats off to the guy adapting Milvus 18mm...
11-15-2017, 05:53 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The KP is a brilliant camera. Your DA40 limited is a perfect match for it.

Apart form the first shot (which shows the kit I took on the trip), every other shot in THIS ALBUM was made with it. Several of them are now A3 prints in my home.
11-29-2017, 01:19 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Appenrently this is an old post. I'd say that overall Fuji APSC mirrorless is nice:
- if you want a mirrorless
- if you like their jpeg and you don't focuq too much on raw processing
- want something light and plan on prime bellow 50mm or the kits lenses
- simply love shooting with prime even if they are a bit big (for focal length >50mm)

The KP is a classic DLSR. It is not a flagship but has the overall most advanced feature set combination in Pentax for APSC. Benefits are:
- A DSRL, the OVF
- wide lense selection
- WR and good ergonomics in a somewhat compact package (for a robus weather sealed DSLR)
- you focus on small to medium size lenses
- you need the ultimate low light performance out of an APSC body.
- you don't mind missing some flagship features (1/8000s mechanical shutter, double SD card, pro level construction and durability).
11-29-2017, 03:30 PM   #14
Pentaxian

KP works as a "MILC" as well. Just turn the shooting mode lever to live view and the mirror stays up right from powering on the camera. This is actually funny and useful at the same time. Not missing X-T20 a bit...