Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-31-2017, 02:18 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
K30 to KP

My K30 got the aperture problem recently. Today I bought a KP and a 21mm Limited lens. Put myself into hock for a year doing it, but I've wanted this camera since it was announced, very excited!

Looking forward to autumn shooting and getting into astrophotography.

08-31-2017, 02:49 AM   #2

Same problem, same solution, happy with the solution (plus a 70mm , not the problem.
I preferred K30 ergonomics, but after >2000 KP clicks, now the k30 feels too chunky with too much space not used by buttons
We are a creature of habits.
09-01-2017, 01:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kroney Quote
My K30 got the aperture problem recently. Today I bought a KP and a 21mm Limited lens. Put myself into hock for a year doing it, but I've wanted this camera since it was announced, very excited!

Looking forward to autumn shooting and getting into astrophotography.
Congrats in your getting a true upgrade! Not that the K-30 is a substandard camera- indeed it is a fine camera, especially for the price. But the KP in in a different class. Your choice of a lens with the KP is a very good one. The build quality, image quality, and concept of quality-plus-compactness make this combo a very fine match. Just be sure to include adding "fine" sharpening in the custom image menu especially for both the "Bright" and "Natural" categories. "F" will appear next to Sharpening. Also, sharpening is already at +1 for "Bright", and I would suggest an increase to +1 for "Natural" as well. Sharpening is then at +1 with"Fine." I do likewise with all my camera bodies. I have not experimented with abandoning or leaving this setting for low-light high-ISO work, but so far I have left it in place and it seems fine.

Of course, with RAW images you can use the camera's settings or add sharpening in PP.

I shoot with the K-5 IIs, K-S2, and the KP.

I am confident the you'll be very pleased with the excellent quality and performance of the KP! Enjoy!
09-02-2017, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats!
I moved to the KP after getting aperture block on my K-S2.
Or maybe I should say the problem gave me an excuse to buy the KP.
Couldn't be happier, it's the best Pentax camera I've owned, and I've owned several starting in the 1980's.

09-04-2017, 04:52 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
So far I'm very pleased. Just the build quality alone has made me happy, properly snappy switches are a much neglected part of the enjoyment of the user experience.
10-06-2017, 12:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Having KS-2 and semi repaired K30 .. well it's another level..really

10-06-2017, 03:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by danielblues Quote
Same problem, same solution, happy with the solution (plus a 70mm , not the problem.
I preferred K30 ergonomics, but after >2000 KP clicks, now the k30 feels too chunky with too much space not used by buttons
We are a creature of habits.
I am thinking that way also - except I already consider the K-30 to be too chunky. However, I've had it for just 29 months now, and I've always considered a camera which served as my "primary" camera for less than 48 months to be a "failure", so I'm having trouble convincing myself to retire it so soon. And, no, I don't intend to the aperture issue to push me over {I really might have to consider it to be a a true failure then}. I'm running it off AA-batteries, and my bag has a couple of lenses with manual aperture-rings "just in case".

Last edited by reh321; 10-06-2017 at 03:48 PM.
10-07-2017, 04:39 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations! A KP and a 21mm Limited sounds like a really nice combo.
Can't wait to see some pics.