Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2017, 08:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Eyeing an upgrade from KS-2 to KP. Is it worth it?

Hello,

The Pentax K-x was my 1st camera, which gave me a lot of pleasure, especially its lightweight and form. After 6 months with approximately 10.000 photos, I sold it to upgrade to the KS-2, which was quite an upgrade to the Kx, except for the weight, most notably AF, LCD, 2 wheels, and a bit better IQ.

Now, after another 15.000 shots, I'm interested in the Kp, and I may purchase it and sell my KS-2. if I find a good deal at the end of the year, and the upgrade is worthy.

What I wish the Ks-2 can do better (of course my limited skill may count for the bigger part, but let's not talk about it in this post :-))

- High ISO performance. The KS-2 is better than the Kx, but images over 1600 are still a bit too grainy. I do a lot of indoor shooting and sometime night photography, so I wish a better high ISO camera (I don't like using flash at the moment)

- AF. AF of KS-2 is a big improvement over Kx, but still I miss a lot of shots, when my daughter is running. I know Pentax is not the best in AF department, but I don't want to change brand, just wish an even better AF Pentax camera

- My KS-2 tends to overexpose a bit (but this is not consistent, so if I intentionally reduce exposure by 1/3 or 1/2 stop, it starts to underexpose the images). Especially under daylight, the skin tone is too white, probably due to a bit overexposure and a limited dynamic range

Less important but I still want:

- Shutter sound: a bit too loud, although better than the Kx
- Plastic build
- Heavier than the Kx. I know the Kp is even heavier, but this is one of the big reason why I don't want pro-cameras like K3, K5.

So, for you guys who already own the Kp, do you think it's worth to pay like 600 euros to upgrade?

P/S: for the lens line, I have some DA Limited, and I'm happy with them, I don't have plan to invest in more lenses for now.

Thank you.

09-21-2017, 11:56 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The KP hits on all the points you listed, minus the weight of course. The small size should make up for that, though. I'd strongly recommend the upgrade!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-21-2017, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My first Pentax was the K-5 II, then the KS-2, and now I have the KP. I recommend it for all the reasons you listed. The normal shutter is quieter that the KS-2, but if you really want to be quiet then use the KP's electronic shutter, no noise at all. For me there are only two negatives when using the electronic shutter, can only be used in LiveView and the shake reduction is disabled.
09-22-2017, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KS2 has the fully articulated screen, which I really enjoy using. I don't think the KP has that, does it?

09-23-2017, 03:17 AM - 1 Like   #5

Hi
I moved from kx to kp
It was a big jump
KP is a iso monster.
I use mostely af-s. and it is quick, and accurate.
I tend to take pictures under exposed and to work it on postproduction to get the dynamic range I want.
Small, yet the built feels like a tank.
Shutter sound very quiet, (maybe too quiet ��)
And here in nl it is just gone down by 200 euro.

Last edited by AmsAmt; 09-23-2017 at 03:39 AM.
09-23-2017, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The KP does not have a fully articulated screen like the KS-2 has. The KP's screen does fold out & up but not to the side like the KS-2 does and it can not face forward. In landscape shooting the KP's fold out screen works very well, not so much if shooting portrait style, you have to get down to it's level if shooting close to the ground and trying to manual focus. It has not been a problem for me.
09-25-2017, 12:59 AM   #7
Bui
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hello again,

Thank you very much for your feedback and advice. I think I will purchase the KP anyway, the problem is now or may be several months from now (or unless a better Pentax for price appears in the process). The KP is a bit expensive at the moment.

Specs wise, and even technical review, I have already spent a lot of time reading. What is almost as important to me is the real feeling of its users in real world photography, that is not fully covered by any specs table.

For example, for happy owners of the KP:
- Are you happy with its image shooting indoor with not so fast lenses (e.g. the limiteds), iso 3200 and above?
- What do you think of its AF and metering? Much better than, say the KS-2?
- How does it feel compared to the K-70 and such? Should be more solid, but heavier? bigger?
- Last but not least important: what do you think of its design and style? This may sound very amateur, but for me the look of a camera also plays a role (one of the few points I don't like about my KS-2, it looks like a toy ). The images on the web look kind of cool, but unfortunately we don't have any Pentax stores here so I can't come and try it).

Thank you ^^

09-25-2017, 01:12 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I took the KP as my only body on a trip to Italy recently. It was bloody brilliant. I used to have a KS-2, and the KP is a much better camera.

The answer to your first question above should be answerable in THIS ALBUM

AF is definitely better. Metering is about the same I reckon.

It feels great. Small, but substantial. Solid as a rock. Much less tinny than the KS-2, but slightly bigger. The minimal grip is still very positive - I prefer it to the KS-2

As for its style, I really like it. If I had my time again I might have bought the silver version, but basic black is awesome too.
09-25-2017, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I think a KP would be nearly perfect for you. I sure like mine a lot and in some ways is a better camera than the K3II.

High ISO up to even like 6,400 under normal conditions is fine it is like ISO 1,600 on my K3II. I don’t think you will regret the update should you decide to do it.
09-26-2017, 04:47 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
My first Pentax was the K-5 II, then the KS-2, and now I have the KP. I recommend it for all the reasons you listed. The normal shutter is quieter that the KS-2, but if you really want to be quiet then use the KP's electronic shutter, no noise at all. For me there are only two negatives when using the electronic shutter, can only be used in LiveView and the shake reduction is disabled.
The KP, unlike the K-1, does NOT need to be in Live View mode to use the electronic shutter. You can use the optical viewfinder with the electronic shutter with the KP.
09-26-2017, 06:45 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Well worth it !!

Just sold my wife's K-S2, she wasn't using it, preferred to use my K-3II instead, mainly because of the more solid build and it's quieter shutter. So we ordered a KP mainly for the low light/high ISO capabilities and small size, received it last night, but can already tell there's way more to this camera - very impressed so far. Though it won't replace my K-1 or K-3II because they're more of a outdoor/field camera than the KP. I see the KP more as a very capable all around camera.
09-27-2017, 12:52 PM   #12
Bui
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for giving me some more confidence. I really like the KP, from looking at it in the web, so I know if I don't have it I will still think about it. During last week I found a K3ii at great status, with great price. Getting it and I will save some money. But still I decided to pass it, and plan to purchase a KP.

I hope it will live up to my expectation, and really surpass my KS-2, ortherwise I will be feeling bad :-)
09-29-2017, 12:44 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
The KP, unlike the K-1, does NOT need to be in Live View mode to use the electronic shutter. You can use the optical viewfinder with the electronic shutter with the KP.
Yes, but then it is not silent
09-29-2017, 01:11 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lotgering Quote
Yes, but then it is not silent
Given that Pentax shutters are generally much quieter than the other DSLR brands, is that really an issue?
09-29-2017, 05:37 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Given that Pentax shutters are generally much quieter than the other DSLR brands, is that really an issue?
Right. The KP with ES engaged is pretty darn quiet!