Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2017, 07:16 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
more photos

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

more photos

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
11-06-2017, 07:19 PM - 2 Likes   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

more photos
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
11-06-2017, 07:42 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I have medium size hands and use the large grip only, but the 300mm practically lives on my KP.
The KP and the DA * 300 make a nice pairing don't they?

I do like the large grip too especially with my battery grip. If the battery grip is off I use the small one just for the littler size.
11-06-2017, 09:31 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
more photos
I just bought a Silver DA 40mm 2.8 XS, looking forward to fitting that onto my Silver KP

How important do you find the necessity for the hood on that lens? Where should I go about getting said hood, or are there any other hoods that work for that lens, is it a 27mm thread? Do you get vignetting from the stepping up to that hood at all?

11-06-2017, 11:06 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Ii got all three here in NZ - mainly because I managed to be a significant and ongoing ass-ache for the company I brought from (we all have talents - I try to use mine for good).

I had time to get used to the small grip before getting the other two - I really like the Medium - I'm not so rapt with the large - I basically chucked the medium on and have left it there ever since.

From the 35mm 2.4 to a sigma 10-22 (in terms of bulk) I like the balance well enough that i don't notice it.

The large seemed to have a gap where my middle finger should have rested against it - the small was just a wee bit scrabbly to hang on to

I have plans to do some 3d printing over summer.
11-07-2017, 12:44 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I confess I haven't found the small grip to be an issue, even for my big hands. I do tend to only use smaller lenses on the KP though - the biggest crop lens I own is the 55-300, and that is not used a lot.
11-07-2017, 05:30 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I confess I haven't found the small grip to be an issue, even for my big hands. I do tend to only use smaller lenses on the KP though - the biggest crop lens I own is the 55-300, and that is not used a lot.
I have large hands/fat fingers too and love the small grip without the battery grip and my DA Limiteds. It is a very "classic" camera from the perspective it doesn't have a large ergonomically designed hand grip. Neither did the Program Plus I learned on have a large grip and I found using it to be a joy.

11-07-2017, 06:31 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I just bought a Silver DA 40mm 2.8 XS, looking forward to fitting that onto my Silver KP

How important do you find the necessity for the hood on that lens? Where should I go about getting said hood, or are there any other hoods that work for that lens, is it a 27mm thread? Do you get vignetting from the stepping up to that hood at all?
I’d love to see an image of the silver DA40XS mounted. I never knew they existed.l until I found the Japanese blog image below.
Attached Images

11-07-2017, 07:31 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I’d love to see an image of the silver DA40XS mounted. I never knew they existed.l until I found the Japanese blog image below.
Yeh, I think they also came with a silver K-5, which I think is the XS I'm getting came from.
11-07-2017, 08:22 PM - 1 Like   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote

I like hoods for various reasons, they do increase the contrast and image quality but they also protect the lenses.
Few days ago I had K-1 with DA*200 on the tripod, it was knocked off and hood is broken but camera and lens are fine.
DA*300 has the same hood so both DA* can share one.
Yes it is 27mm hood, I purchased it from eBay
DV-s Screw Mount 27mm Camcorder Lens Hood With Cap | eBay
I just tested this with K-1, all good no vignetting.
11-07-2017, 10:15 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I like hoods for various reasons, they do increase the contrast and image quality but they also protect the lenses.
Few days ago I had K-1 with DA*200 on the tripod, it was knocked off and hood is broken but camera and lens are fine.
DA*300 has the same hood so both DA* can share one.
Yes it is 27mm hood, I purchased it from eBay
DV-s Screw Mount 27mm Camcorder Lens Hood With Cap | eBay
I just tested this with K-1, all good no vignetting.
You serious? The DA 40mm 2.8 XS doesn't vignette on the K-1 when in FF mode? Cool!
11-07-2017, 11:58 PM - 1 Like   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

yes both DA40 and XS are great on K-1, so is the DA*200
11-09-2017, 01:55 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Just wanted to confirm, in Austria all three grips are included in the box.

By the way, do you think there are chances third party grips will be available? Maybe even costum built, or adding additional functions? I think Ricoh missed an opportunity by not building an interface below the grip. Despite the suboptimal antenna position, an O-GPS2, or additional accesories could have been attached. However.
11-17-2017, 09:24 PM - 1 Like   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

the big grip arrived from Japan, 5,500 Yen
definitely my favorite
will post some pictures
11-17-2017, 10:19 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
the big grip arrived from Japan, 5,500 Yen
definitely my favorite
will post some pictures
Look forward to seeing that.

Recently I have taken to shooting one handed with the K-1 due to using a vello cord and flashgun in the other hand, and the large grip that the K-1 has is instrumental in operating the camera like that. If someone was heading down that road as well with the KP I could see the large grip being crucial in managing that.
Thankfully I don't think I'll be doing much shooting like that with my KP, in fact the more slender the better for this particular setup, so I think I shall likely stay with the stock/small grip.

Oh did I mention a silver 40mm XS is en route to me? Can't wait to see how that will look on the KP