Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2018, 05:42 PM   #76
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not if you have big hands. It is noticeably larger but even the large isn't really that much bigger. (To me at least.) If it wasn't 40 AUD to ship you mine I would Bruce. Won't they give a rain check for the price?

06-11-2018, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Is the Medium actually a significant step up from Small?
No it is not.
Non scientific measurement with a dial-caliber is S=16mm, M=18mm and L=27mm in measured thickness at or around the thickest part.
Small and medium have a different contour where the medium is thicker towards the pinky-finger.
06-11-2018, 06:46 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Not if you have big hands. It is noticeably larger but even the large isn't really that much bigger. (To me at least.) If it wasn't 40 AUD to ship you mine I would Bruce. Won't they give a rain check for the price?
They might... I might ask.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
No it is not.
Non scientific measurement with a dial-caliber is S=16mm, M=18mm and L=27mm in measured thickness at or around the thickest part.
Small and medium have a different contour where the medium is thicker towards the pinky-finger.
Good to know, so yeh not a huge difference. I think Large is the one I'd like to try the most. Thanks for that you saved me $44!
06-11-2018, 07:18 PM   #79
Veteran Member

I prefer the medium personally, but they all taper in at the top, so the grip isn't standard on any of them.

06-11-2018, 11:50 PM   #80
Resident fiddler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
/kinda OT
That's for Rachmaninov, then!
06-12-2018, 01:53 AM   #81
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I just bought the large grip; it wasn't as large as I imagined, and not as good as the grip on my old K-5.
But I am happy to have it; it feels better in my hand.

Bruce, CRK had them for $55 when I got mine in May. (inc postage) The next best was DCW @ $69 and the rest @ $99.
06-12-2018, 01:59 AM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I just bought the large grip; it wasn't as large as I imagined, and not as good as the grip on my old K-5.
But I am happy to have it; it feels better in my hand.

Bruce, CRK had them for $55 when I got mine in May. (inc postage) The next best was DCW @ $69 and the rest @ $99.
That's where I'm seeing the medium (but not the large) selling for $55, but it's $44 with the 20% eBay offer (ends tonight/tomorrow). I just don't think I want to shell out $44 for 2mm difference in size lol.
06-12-2018, 05:02 AM   #83

I ordered the last large DCxpert / CRK had, but the couriers lost it. So I ordered the medium with my refund, 20%off this time. Even though the actual difference in measurements are small, it definitely feels chunkier. Unfortunately I really think the large would be better with the 50-500, but its not bad.

06-12-2018, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steve-rsa Quote
I ordered the last large DCxpert / CRK had, but the couriers lost it. So I ordered the medium with my refund, 20%off this time. Even though the actual difference in measurements are small, it definitely feels chunkier. Unfortunately I really think the large would be better with the 50-500, but its not bad.
Really! Damn that's a shame :'(

Anyway, they should all be bloody well free! They come with in other countries, least they can do is have them for sale, in stock and cheap!
06-12-2018, 06:06 AM   #85
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Anyway, they should all be bloody well free! They come with in other countries, least they can do is have them for sale, in stock and cheap!
Hear, Hear! Is there some obscure regulation about usability being against the rules in Aus? Maybe since you guys don't really exist, Pentax said "we will skip the extras."
06-12-2018, 04:23 PM   #86
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, whats up with that?
I have spare grips fod`ing the place...
06-12-2018, 05:52 PM   #87
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery

dcxpert had the large grip on their store in the past. But I agree that all the grips should be included with the purchase of KP.

Although I'm interested in KP, it is the grip and its ergonomic design that push me off. Not sure if I can explain it well, but I wish I could move the shutter button and also the front dial forward along with the grip.
06-12-2018, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by parinya-ekparinya Quote
dcxpert had the large grip on their store in the past. But I agree that all the grips should be included with the purchase of KP.

Although I'm interested in KP, it is the grip and its ergonomic design that push me off. Not sure if I can explain it well, but I wish I could move the shutter button and also the front dial forward along with the grip.
Honestly I don't mind the small grip even, I'm just curious to see how a large grip feels, I imagine it can be helpful when armed with larger lenses.

I have the K-1, and I wanted a second backup shooter, but couldn't afford a second K-1 however the KP was going for a good price so I grabbed that instead. I enjoy its smaller form factor, it provides another opportunity of which camera to take on certain events, and if dual wielding both it's quite nice that the second camera is smaller and lighter than the main.
The largest lens I have probably tried on the KP is my DFA100 or Sigma 10-20, and I find it's not a problem to shoot with either of them using the Small grip. My hands and fingers just find a way around it. But I can understand someone wanting a more 'bulkier curvier' camera to shoot with heavier lenses etc, but in doing so you do lose the attractiveness of the form factor of the KP.
Honestly I think the KP is a wicked little device, I would have thought it would get more attention that it does, the customisable grips are just one fantastic (innovative? Does any other brand do this?) feature it has, perhaps it needed to take that concept further with an XL Grip and XXL! lol
06-12-2018, 07:36 PM   #89
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Big SIgma APO 120-400 on my KP often, and I don't always have the battery grip attached, and I am usually shooting hand held with that. It's easy, Hold the Lens or lens foot and operate the camera with the other hand.
06-12-2018, 08:04 PM - 1 Like   #90
Veteran Member

While I think the Kp is a fantastic camera, I think the grips are all pretty crap. They all taper in at the top, so most of the grip for me personally is on the tips of my middle and ring finger with my pinky tucked under the body - I find all three grips to be two (and a bit) fingers and thumb kind of pincering the thing awkwardly

The medium is more grippy for me then either the small or large, the small has a flat front where the medium has a slight bulge which tapers back in to the body which I can wrap the first joint of my fingers around, the small is more just under the pads of my fingers.

The large I find really awkward as it tapers steadily inwards from the bottom as you go up - I find myself having to death grip it. It's also nearly square at the very bottom which interferes with my tucking my pinky finger under.

I don't have especially large hands, but I personally think that all three are made for people with really small hands, by adjusting the angle of my grip just slightly I can reach nearly to the lens hump even with the large grip attached.

What I'd like is a grip which is vertical or even flares out slightly at the top of the grip so I can get my grip slightly more to the top of my middle finger rather than trying to grip it with the inside of the first joint of my ring finger. It seems like the grips all taper in sharply at the top to allow people with small hands to get at the wheel, which takes away much of the grip for people with larger hands - I don't think a bulky hand filling grip would actually make the camera much larger at all.

Being Kiwi I'm not even considering the vertical grip - I think they're like $450 here.

The grips are actually my biggest issue with the design, I can handle the other downsides, carrying some spare batteries and the video quality being pretty average aren't really issues for me.

I have a break after next week, might be time for me to do some modding on one of the grips I have.