Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
10-27-2017, 09:44 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KP Grips

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Has anyone tried any of the other grips available for the KP? being a K-1 user the thing I immediately felt odd was the shallow grip, I can't help feeling the deeper/larger grip would be better.

10-27-2017, 10:17 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have larger hands. The medium grip is my favorite. The large grip is useful for long lenses. The small grip makes my right fingers cramped and it is harder to move my index finger to buttons.
10-28-2017, 01:20 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have ordered the medium size from Japan:
New PENTAX O-GP 1671 Grip M (Medium) for KP | eBay
spare grips are not available in Australia
10-28-2017, 02:17 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have larger hands. The medium grip is my favorite. The large grip is useful for long lenses. The small grip makes my right fingers cramped and it is harder to move my index finger to buttons.
Good to know. I feel the same with the small, it feels oddly cramped and after using the K-1 with the larger grip my fingers don't quite know where to be. I think Medium will prolly be right for me also as it's likely to only have the small 15mm DA attached to it most the time.

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
I have ordered the medium size from Japan:
New PENTAX O-GP 1671 Grip M (Medium) for KP | eBay
spare grips are not available in Australia
You mean like this one? Pentax KP O-GP1672 Large Grip Kit | Digital Camera Warehouse hehe...

10-28-2017, 02:42 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

ok, I did not see it, but with the shiping it is more expensive than from Japan
10-28-2017, 03:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
ok, I did not see it, but with the shiping it is more expensive than from Japan
Haha, I did noticed that, I will prolly follow suit. Lemme know how you go, I might wait for more feedback before deciding which one to go for. Good luck!
10-28-2017, 04:12 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have ordered the medium size from Japan: New PENTAX O-GP 1671 Grip M (Medium) for KP | eBay spare grips are not available in Australia
$70 that is an obscene price for a small piece of plastic, bad that they did not include them in the box.

10-28-2017, 04:34 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
$70 that is an obscene price for a small piece of plastic, bad that they did not include them in the box.
Yeh I kinda agree, I actually think throwing in the grips would actually attract more sales, like add the 'customization' angle etc. I didn't know about them till after the fact.
10-28-2017, 04:43 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
throwing in the grips would actually attract more sales
yes I think so too.
10-28-2017, 07:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

For DA Limited lenses including the 20-40 the Medium feels good, DA 16-85 and bigger the large grips work better for me. If I to choose one it would be the large, especially you use a K-1 also. Even though I got my KP recently purchased from B&H, it came with all three grips.
10-28-2017, 07:53 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I thought the KP came with all three grips. Is that not the case?
10-28-2017, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Mine came with all three. I have very small hands, but prefer the medium grip.
10-28-2017, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by th1952 Quote
thought the KP came with all three grips. Is that not the case?
In the US, yes, but not in some other markets, Australia in particular.

The grips are more than "a small piece of plastic", but Au$70 does seem a very high price.

I use the large grip with bigger lenses (DA*60-250, DA*300), and medium most other times. For a small prime like the DA Limiteds, I'll go with the small grip just because it feels more "old school".

Last edited by THoog; 10-29-2017 at 06:18 AM.
10-28-2017, 01:18 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by longbow Quote
For DA Limited lenses including the 20-40 the Medium feels good, DA 16-85 and bigger the large grips work better for me. If I to choose one it would be the large, especially you use a K-1 also. Even though I got my KP recently purchased from B&H, it came with all three grips.
Yeh, I was immediately at odds with it coming from the K-1.

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
In the US, yes, but not in some other markets, Australia in particular.

The grips are more than "a small piece if plastic", but Au$70 does seem a very high price.

I use the large grip with bigger lenses (DA*60-250, DA*300), and medium most other times. For a small prime like the DA Limiteds, I'll go with the small grip just because it feels more "old school".
Yeh I think small is prolly actually fine for the lens I use, it'll just take some adjusting coming from the K-1 I think.
10-28-2017, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #15

I think all three come with it in the US, but not all countries. Mine that arrived this week has them.