Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2017, 12:50 PM   #1

Currently have a Kx, looking to move up to a KP, K70, or K3-ii. Recommendations?

I have a Kx that I bought back in 2010 with my first "real job" paycheck. Was really excited and used it often. The last couple years I haven't used it much, but I recently moved to a new position/location and there are several people who are interested in photography in the office. This has got me back into taking pictures. I recently bought a few lenses, Bower 14mm f/2.8, Pentax 100mm f/2.8 Macro, and Sigma 17-70 Contemporary. I've been debating moving up to a newer body. I really like the K3-ii, specifically because it has the built in GPS and I really like astrophotography. However, it seems like the newer bodies like the KP and K70 have superior high-iso performance and some extra features. Is the KP superior in IQ to the K3? I can always buy the GPS module if i'll get better images from one of the newer bodies.

Additionally, the guy I bought my 100mm from had a K5 with a battery grip. I really enjoyed using the camera much more compared to my Kx. When I hold the Kx my pinky and part of my ring finger have nothing to grab. If I'm looking at battery grips, will 3rd party ones from ebay be an issue?

Thanks for any help.

11-05-2017, 12:54 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mojoe_24 Quote
Is the KP superior in IQ to the K3?
Yup, especially at higher ISO settings. The KP would be my recommendation.

Additionally, the guy I bought my 100mm from had a K5 with a battery grip. I really enjoyed using the camera much more compared to my Kx. When I hold the Kx my pinky and part of my ring finger have nothing to grab. If I'm looking at battery grips, will 3rd party ones from ebay be an issue?
The ergonomics of the K-5 are really nice. The K-3 is an improvement on that, whereas the KP is somewhere in between: the main grip is not as deep, but it has more button customization and a more modern user interface.

All 3 cameras will be a big step up over the K-x in terms of both ergonomics and image quality.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-05-2017, 03:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While I won't argue with Adam that the KP has superior IQ I will say that coming from a k-x the difference between the K-3II and the KP will not be noticeable. Either will be a huge upgrade. So take a look at the feature set of each camera and decide based on that not on a rather subjective "better IQ" that you will never notice anyway.

Here is a link to the camera comparator: Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-1 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Only you can decide which is better, for you.
11-05-2017, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Handle them in store if you can, OP. Ergonomics can be a game changer.

11-05-2017, 08:15 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've never used a 3rd party grip. No idea if it's risky.
11-05-2017, 09:20 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you like the grip and built-in GPS (but no flash), go for the K-3 II
Otherwise, I'd go for the KP.
11-06-2017, 07:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

KP or K-3 II you can't go wrong. Do you want better high ISO or a GPS? Once you decide that you can get what you want. Both take AWESOME photographs. Either will be a MASSIVE upgrade from what you have now.

11-06-2017, 08:03 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K3 series is going to be a heavier camera than the KP. Honestly, I believe you’re going to be happy with either choice coming from the Kx. I have a Bower and a Pentax grip for my K5s. While I’ve never had an issue with the Bower, (at roughly half the price) it’s obviously not the same quality. I have heard of some who bought grips from eBay real cheap and had problems with the contacts and even getting stuck to the camera.
11-06-2017, 10:24 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gm4life Quote
KP or K-3 II you can't go wrong. Do you want better high ISO or a GPS? Once you decide that you can get what you want. Both take AWESOME photographs. Either will be a MASSIVE upgrade from what you have now.
Thanks for the recommendations/advice. I'm leaning towards the K3-ii just because it will be cheaper, but I may hold out until Black Friday and just see what pops up then. GPS is important to me, specifically the Astrotracer, but I can get a KP with better IQ and tilting screen and just buy the GPS separately. I think it'll come down to pric e.

<E> Well.....I just said why not adn bought a used K3-ii for $620 with a 2200 shutter count. Seemed to be a decent deal from what I've seen on the forums. Decided that the GPS was the most important piiece for me and this will save me money from having to get the separate unit.

Last edited by mojoe_24; 11-06-2017 at 11:56 PM.
11-07-2017, 05:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks for the recommendations/advice. I'm leaning towards the K3-ii just because it will be cheaper, but I may hold out until Black Friday and just see what pops up then. GPS is important to me, specifically the Astrotracer, but I can get a KP with better IQ and tilting screen and just buy the GPS separately. I think it'll come down to pric e.

<E> Well.....I just said why not adn bought a used K3-ii for $620 with a 2200 shutter count. Seemed to be a decent deal from what I've seen on the forums. Decided that the GPS was the most important piiece for me and this will save me money from having to get the separate unit.
Yup $620 is AWESOME. Low shutter count should be like NEW. You will enjoy it, the tilting screen I don't find myself using too much. The flash once in a blue moon - so not often. I congratulate you on the new piece of equipment. I have nearly 5,500 clicks on mine and have enjoyed it thus far. For the price you paid you got a top shelf nearly new camera. Happy shooting, I have to remind myself that from time to time. Equipment is great BUT taking photos is more important.
11-07-2017, 10:05 PM   #11

Original Poster
I can't think of any time that I used the flash on my Kx so replacing that with the GPS/Astrotracer unit is a definite positive.