Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-13-2017, 07:13 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a DA*300 and HD 1.4x RC. AF-C center point is quick with my 300mm. With the 300mm and TC, focus is slow, but always dead on when it locks. How does your DA*300 work without the TC?

Your detailed description of the AF behaviour of the 560 is disturbing. I had similar issues with my DA*300 suddenly, the day before a guided bird tour in Mexico. I was able to use it on the tour, but missed a lot of shots. I returned it for repair and it was fine afterward. You might consider sending the 560 and K-3 in for a checkup. I don't have a 560, but I don't think it should work as you describe.

11-13-2017, 01:43 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
Sometimes I am hiking, lift the camera and want to focus, and what I am looking for, is a camera that will simply start AF immediately and lock, period. What I get with the K3/DA560, is that I half press the shutter button, and often it initially just stutters a bit, and goes back and forth some, or even needs multiple half presses before even starting the focus travel, and I typically need several attempts before I get it to focus on the bird, even when it is a clearly isolated subject.
Nikon may well be the best choice for you, but until you complete that purchase, audiobomber's suggestions may be worth considering. That being said, I have a few practical suggestions that might make your last days with the K-3 more tolerable:
  • Update your firmware. Doing so will include the feature that will detect and mask the runaway mirror problem that is so vexing. It is a shame you were unable to take advantage of the deep firmware fix offered by Ricoh/Pentax while the camera was still under warranty.
  • Have the PDAF sensor cleaned. Your AF symptoms are similar to those experienced by PF users whose sensor had accumulated dust.
At the very least, having a fully functional camera to sell will make the sale easier.

I don't have any long glass (not my usual choice of subjects), but my experience with the K-3 is that AF-S (focus-priority) is very fast (~1/3s) to acquire and capture with fixed center point and as fast (~1/2s) with a 27-point spread, assuming I am willing to trust the camera with choosing the subject.* Repeating with the camera fully awake, the response was ~1/8s and ~1/4s respectively.

Again, I hope that your next camera (regardless of brand) provides you with the user experience you are expecting.

BTW...out of curiosity, what is your usual subject with the K-3/DA 560 combo?

Steve

* Camera defocussed and on, but asleep...time to wake and release shutter from full shutter push with presumptive subject at 10' distance with Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 (C) at 50mm, SR off.
11-14-2017, 06:03 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Nikon may well be the best choice for you, but until you complete that purchase, audiobomber's suggestions may be worth considering. That being said, I have a few practical suggestions that might make your last days with the K-3 more tolerable:
  • Update your firmware. Doing so will include the feature that will detect and mask the runaway mirror problem that is so vexing. It is a shame you were unable to take advantage of the deep firmware fix offered by Ricoh/Pentax while the camera was still under warranty.
  • Have the PDAF sensor cleaned. Your AF symptoms are similar to those experienced by PF users whose sensor had accumulated dust.
That's interesting, can you clean the PDAF sensor yourself, or is it servicing by Pentax that you need?
I should give that a try, although I really suspect the K3's processor and programming to be the culprit.

At the very least, having a fully functional camera to sell will make the sale easier.

I don't have any long glass (not my usual choice of subjects), but my experience with the K-3 is that AF-S (focus-priority) is very fast (~1/3s) to acquire and capture with fixed center point and as fast (~1/2s) with a 27-point spread, assuming I am willing to trust the camera with choosing the subject.* Repeating with the camera fully awake, the response was ~1/8s and ~1/4s respectively.

Again, I hope that your next camera (regardless of brand) provides you with the user experience you are expecting.

BTW...out of curiosity, what is your usual subject with the K-3/DA 560 combo?
Mostly I photograph migrating birds species, mainly due to a fascination with the migration phenomenon of many birds.
Steve

* Camera defocussed and on, but asleep...time to wake and release shutter from full shutter push with presumptive subject at 10' distance with Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 (C) at 50mm, SR off.