Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-11-2017, 04:32 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ES on KP significantly quieter than K-1?

I've been experimenting with my recently acquired KP. I am making a 'church' mode, that involves using Monopod, Live View, ES on and MF only (with Focus Peaking on to help). I tried this set up with the K-1 as well, and I am pretty sure the KP offers a substantially different quieter experience in this regard over the K-1. The ES seems to resolve shutter shock issues for the K-1, but doesn't sound that too indifferent to the actual mechanical shutter sound, however on the KP its like when in ES mode it's dead silent!

Anyone else found this to be true?

Cheers,

Bruce

11-11-2017, 04:37 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well the shutter itself is a lot smaller, so that makes a lot of sense. Also, I believe the KP has a more advanced ES system, with fewer limitations on when it can be used.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-11-2017, 04:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It's completely silent when the lens aperture doesn't have to click.
11-11-2017, 04:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote
It's completely silent when the lens aperture doesn't have to click.
"It's" - KP or the K-1?

11-11-2017, 05:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Well the shutter itself is a lot smaller, so that makes a lot of sense. Also, I believe the KP has a more advanced ES system, with fewer limitations on when it can be used.
Wow, yes indeed it does, what a pleasant surprise. Here's what I have discovered thus far when trying to set up a 'Church' mode, or basically any set up that involves making the least amount of noise possible;

KP

- I'm using TAv mode and some ETTL (fyi)
- ES on

KP can do this with ES on that the K-1 can't (if I'm not mistaken);

- perform incredibly quiet, almost dead silent, if you are using MF then its practically stealth mode.
- can use ES in conjunction with AF.C!
- can use ES outside of LV mode, ie use it with LV off and use OVF!
- can use burst mode!

SR is still off however when using ES, no way of getting round that. I also noticed that when using my DFA 100mm, the AF noise the KP makes during focusing is far higher than the K-1 makes with the same lens attached. However, using the KP with AF in ES mode with the aforementioned lens, if I actually lock onto a subject, then I can burst 5-10 shots of easily and all registering dead silent! Whereas the K-1 would 'click' during each and every bursting shot.

Damn... that's impressive. If I could find a good longer focal range lens that AF silent, then pairing that with the KP would be a wicked Church combo!
11-11-2017, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
"It's" - KP or the K-1?
The KP - I haven't really tested the K-1's ES mode.

... (and three minutes later, I have now tested it).

It seems as though the K-1 flips the mirror down after each shot. Even when turning image review off, the mirror still flips for each shot. The KP doesn't do that so is completely silent.
11-11-2017, 05:46 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
- can use ES outside of LV mode, ie use it with LV off and use OVF!
Yes, this is the big one. Must be a hardware thing, or perhaps not helpful on the K-1 with its larger mirror.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-11-2017, 08:22 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes, this is the big one. Must be a hardware thing, or perhaps not helpful on the K-1 with its larger mirror.
If the mirror is down so the image is reflected up to the prism base and out the exit pupil (OVF), how does the image circle fall on the sensor to permit ES and image capture (even if the shutter is open)?
11-12-2017, 12:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If the mirror is down so the image is reflected up to the prism base and out the exit pupil (OVF), how does the image circle fall on the sensor to permit ES and image capture (even if the shutter is open)?
The mirror flips out of the way if you're using ES with OVF. The ES is used for the faster 1/24000 shutter speed so isn't purely a silent shooting mechanic on the KP, even though it works amazingly well in live view to enable silent shots.
11-12-2017, 01:18 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I've been experimenting with my recently acquired KP. I am making a 'church' mode, that involves using Monopod, Live View, ES on and MF only (with Focus Peaking on to help).
Do you mean you'd like to take photos of people without their consent?

When the person being photographer hear the noise it's already too late the photo is already in the box, noise is not an issue.
11-12-2017, 01:59 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Most churches and museums ask photographers not to use tripods and flashes and ask to keep all noises as low as possible.
They are public places after all so you can take photos of architecture and individuals.
I love taking photos in churches (not weddings) , never had any problems, sometimes I take Pentax Q or MX-1 to be less visible.
11-12-2017, 02:19 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Do you mean you'd like to take photos of people without their consent?

When the person being photographer hear the noise it's already too late the photo is already in the box, noise is not an issue.
No lol, I mean to take pictures without annoying a crowd or those sitting/standing near you. Who knows... they might appreciate it and perhaps one day hire you to do a job due to your consideration towards others!
11-12-2017, 07:27 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you. I understood that part. What I don’t understand is, if the mirror is flipped out of the way with the shutter open to use ES - how can you coincidentally use the OVF? The mirror is either UP, blocking the OVF light path, or DOWN, blocking the sensor light path, or the mirror moves and shutter 1st curtain opens but the ES actually electronically ‘captures’ the image without use of the second curtain (which isn’t really silent at all).
The mirror flips out of the way if you're using ES with OVF. The ES is used for the faster 1/24000 shutter speed so isn't purely a silent shooting mechanic on the KP, even though it works amazingly well in live view to enable silent shots.
So for truly silent, open shutter ES, LiveView is still required. For extremely fast (electronic) shutter in OVF, the shutter and mirror still operate but the camera electronically ‘reads’ the image data stream for only 1/24,000 second; IOW it is a hybrid shutter.

Last edited by monochrome; 11-12-2017 at 07:37 AM.
11-12-2017, 09:12 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually, ES can be used with the OVF at all shutter speeds with the KP.
11-12-2017, 09:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
Actually, ES can be used with the OVF at all shutter speeds with the KP.
I wasn't suggesting otherwise though, sorry

ES is a bit irritating under energy saver bulb lighting so I usually just avoid using it. If and when I need the silent shooting, I'll use liveview!