Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
06-04-2021, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #46

I found the KP odd to hold until I put a lens on. Once I did that, it was a matter of muscle memory and recalling how to hold a classic SLR- styled body. The hold on that style of camera is left hand dominant under the lens. Your right hand simply steadies the body with your index finger falling naturally on top of the shutter button. I think the fact that it has interchangeable grips actually detracts from the ergonomics. What I mean by that, is the different sizes of grip seem to imply you should be able to emulate the pistol grip style of a traditional DSLR and thus achieve a right hand dominant grip. As soon as I held the KP like my old Spotmatic I got it. So now, rather than think of it as a camera that’s less comfortable than my K-50, I have a camera that is far more comfortable than my Spotmatic with just the small grip attached. I wonder how many people turned up their nose at the KP because they didn’t try holding one in the camera shop with a lens attached, and two, by mistaking it for something that could ever truly resemble a pistol grip.

06-07-2021, 07:59 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter_JDH Quote
I wonder how many people turned up their nose at the KP because they didn’t try holding one in the camera shop with a lens attached, and two, by mistaking it for something that could ever truly resemble a pistol grip.
Too many. And even if holding one in a camera shop, as they have developed a certain technique of holding using a large right hand grip. Coming from non-pistol grip old manual film bodies, and through many having a large right-hand grip starting with the SF-1n in my case about 1991, I have never become dependent in any way on the right hand grip as the main source of support and control while shooting. The addition of the other KP grips has been useful in terms of holding and handling while not shooting, depending on which lens is mounted. Same with the battery grip with large lenses. The smallest grip for me is most suitable for handling with short, lighter zoom lenses and of course with the Limited prime lenses.
06-15-2021, 08:52 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I was looking at the change to KP from K-S2, I thought that the small grip would suit me because of small hands, but the large grip came on sale so I got that to try, that suits me better with the lenses I have, the 35 2.4, 18-135, & 55-300plm, & Takumars.
06-15-2021, 08:55 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I thought the small grip looked the best when I first got the camera, but I find the large is often the most comfortable when holding the camera for any length of time. There's a reason DSLRs typically have those chunky grips. Even if they don't look as cool.

06-15-2021, 07:19 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just have to get the medium now to try it, seeing the Australian delivered comes with just the small only.
06-16-2021, 08:50 AM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
I have been wanting the KP as a replacement for my K-30. Today, I was able to play with it again at our local shop, this time I am prepared, I brought my K-30, HD 35, battery and memory card just to be sure that I can play it along with some of my lenses and the heaviest among my limited primes. To my shock after 10-15 mins of fondling the camera, I felt the strain in my hand with only the HD35 attached. I mean I was hoping I can use this camera with my future HD 20-40 but now I feel confused whether should I'll still buy this new camera or not, the attached grip was the small one, but I do like the appearance of the KP with it. But I think I will have trouble a non-ergonomic camera. I really want to like this camera and is really damn sexy.

Maybe I'll try again tomorrow with the DA21/f3.2?

Thank you.

The KP isnt that much heavier than the older film cameras like the K1000 - and certainly isnt all that heavy to begin with - Im not havin a problem
06-16-2021, 11:14 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
I have been wanting the KP as a replacement for my K-30. Today, I was able to play with it again at our local shop, this time I am prepared, I brought my K-30, HD 35, battery and memory card just to be sure that I can play it along with some of my lenses and the heaviest among my limited primes. To my shock after 10-15 mins of fondling the camera, I felt the strain in my hand with only the HD35 attached. I mean I was hoping I can use this camera with my future HD 20-40 but now I feel confused whether should I'll still buy this new camera or not, the attached grip was the small one, but I do like the appearance of the KP with it. But I think I will have trouble a non-ergonomic camera. I really want to like this camera and is really damn sexy.

Maybe I'll try again tomorrow with the DA21/f3.2?

Thank you.

I found that it took me a couple of weeks to get use to the ergonomics of the KP, but when you do it is a stunner. The third wheel is incredibly handy. As for the grips, I rarely use the small one, the medium is on most of the time but the large goes on for larger lenses or to accompany the battery grip. I have the silver version and its gorgeous

06-16-2021, 01:40 PM   #53

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Angulon Quote
When I was looking at the change to KP from K-S2, I thought that the small grip would suit me because of small hands, but the large grip came on sale so I got that to try, that suits me better with the lenses I have, the 35 2.4, 18-135, & 55-300plm, & Takumars.
Did you find the much improvement from KS-2? I currently have the KS-2 and think I want to pick up a used KP but worry it only feeling like a small improvement, am mainly interested in the improved ISO performance
06-16-2021, 05:11 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mymaiseygirl Quote
The KP isnt that much heavier than the older film cameras like the K1000 - and certainly isnt all that heavy to begin with - Im not havin a problem
Old cameras tended to have pretty bad ergonomics - but we expected it then. I think it's partly because modern digital cameras with all their buttons seem delicate and we're afraid to drop them or break something off handling them with rough paws.
06-17-2021, 06:30 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GreenRich Quote
Did you find the much improvement from KS-2? I currently have the KS-2 and think I want to pick up a used KP but worry it only feeling like a small improvement, am mainly interested in the improved ISO performance
The K-S2 is a very good camera, I liked it a lot, and I waited for a while before going to the KP, there are many differences between the two, and it was worth the upgrade to me. I will have the KP for a long time.
I feel pretty sure that like me you will not regret upgrading, but all depends on what you need I suppose.
06-23-2021, 11:09 AM   #56
scc
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I purchased my KP in Belgium and it came with the three grips. Then I purchased the battery grip and I got an additional large grip.
I only use the large one, whichever the lens. My former camera was a K7 and I wanted to get the same firm grip on the camera body. I also use the lateral strap and the combo strap + large grip is the most convenient to me.
06-23-2021, 12:13 PM   #57
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mymaiseygirl Quote
Strangely, the kit-in-bag-weight for my K-3 is quite comparable to that of my film SLR kit once one adds in extra rolls of film to support a similar number of shots per session.

Steve
06-23-2021, 12:51 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scc Quote
I purchased my KP in Belgium and it came with the three grips. Then I purchased the battery grip and I got an additional large grip.
I only use the large one, whichever the lens. My former camera was a K7 and I wanted to get the same firm grip on the camera body. I also use the lateral strap and the combo strap + large grip is the most convenient to me.
Same here a while back. I offered it on the marketplace for the cost of a coffee and postage. Got PM'd about an hour after posting.

Try it, unless you want to keep both.
09-17-2021, 05:42 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Strangely, the kit-in-bag-weight for my K-3 is quite comparable to that of my film SLR kit once one adds in extra rolls of film to support a similar number of shots per session.

Steve
I shot a lot less with film than I do with digital (unless someone was paying me...), so that feels a bit like cheating...

And in my case, I have a different set of lenses than I did with film (my 16-50 is a lot heavier than the 35-75 I used with the Super Program)
Oh, and there's no winder, or separate flash most of the time...

But it's remarkable how close the KP is all in compared to how I remember film days...

Ergonomically, I had lots of issues with the KP until I turned the knobs around.
I kept changing shutter speed when I wanted aperture and aperture when I wanted shutter speed. Argh.
Happily, it lets you swap them. Much better...

-Eric