Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2017, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Torn with KP :)

I have been wanting the KP as a replacement for my K-30. Today, I was able to play with it again at our local shop, this time I am prepared, I brought my K-30, HD 35, battery and memory card just to be sure that I can play it along with some of my lenses and the heaviest among my limited primes. To my shock after 10-15 mins of fondling the camera, I felt the strain in my hand with only the HD35 attached. I mean I was hoping I can use this camera with my future HD 20-40 but now I feel confused whether should I'll still buy this new camera or not, the attached grip was the small one, but I do like the appearance of the KP with it. But I think I will have trouble a non-ergonomic camera. I really want to like this camera and is really damn sexy.

Maybe I'll try again tomorrow with the DA21/f3.2?

Thank you.

Last edited by wed7; 11-20-2017 at 10:04 AM.
11-20-2017, 10:00 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

This looks like a case of want v. need. Have you handled a K-70? It is a very capable camera with good ergonomics. The price difference re. the KP would put you well on the way to an HD 20-40, which is also great on the K-70.

Philip
11-20-2017, 10:08 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
This looks like a case of want v. need. Have you handled a K-70? It is a very capable camera with good ergonomics. The price difference re. the KP would put you well on the way to an HD 20-40, which is also great on the K-70.

Philip
Yes, I know there is the K-70, but I tried to resist upgrading my K-30 (2013) from K-50, K-S1,K-S2 & K-70. I love the looks and the overall improvements of specs. BUt was shocked about how it strained my wrist with only the HD35 attached.

Thank you.

Last edited by wed7; 11-20-2017 at 10:10 AM. Reason: jutot
11-20-2017, 11:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have both (K30 and KP) and medium grip is OK with a 400g Lens (sigma 30 )

11-20-2017, 12:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I got KP and 35mm ltd macro, very lightweight and usable with three fingers but requires large grip that way.
11-20-2017, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
Yes, I know there is the K-70, but I tried to resist upgrading my K-30 (2013) from K-50, K-S1,K-S2 & K-70. I love the looks and the overall improvements of specs. BUt was shocked about how it strained my wrist with only the HD35 attached.

Thank you.
I'd second the K-70. You won't miss anything as far as image quality, I think it would be almost impossible for anyone here to tell the difference between shots taken on one from those on the other. Both have equivalent processing engines and comparable sensors. The major upgrades are shared as well, many of them coming from the K-1 side. Yeah the build on the KP is better, autofocus somewhat improved, and it has some features that the K-70 doesn't that cater more to advance shooters....
and yeah it probably looks a bit nicer too.

But I recently went thru the same comparison exercise and for what I actually use it for the KP really didn't offer me anything worth the $300+ premium. The K-70 is more comfortable with larger lenses too, akin more to the KS-2 in handling but with a deeper and more solid hand grip.

Skip the silver version tho and go with the black if you decide to get one. It's more gray than silver TBH, and doesn't at all match my silver DA15. If I had it to do over I would and buy black instead. Image-wise tho it's a step up from the already very good KS-2, with the bonus of a better grip and some useful interface/menu improvements. I don't at all regret choosing the K-70 over the KP.

Last edited by gatorguy; 11-21-2017 at 06:29 AM.
11-20-2017, 12:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-30 vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-S2 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

I am surprised there would be strain, since the KP is about the same weight. Could it be something else, like handling cameras in different ways, or doing work before handling the camera? Or maybe you need to adjust your handholding, if the camera is differently shaped. And I agree, the KP look amazing, and has some nice features as well!

11-20-2017, 12:44 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been wanting the KP as a replacement for my K-30. Today, I was able to play with it again at our local shop, this time I am prepared, I brought my K-30, HD 35, battery and memory card just to be sure that I can play it along with some of my lenses and the heaviest among my limited primes. To my shock after 10-15 mins of fondling the camera, I felt the strain in my hand with only the HD35 attached. I mean I was hoping I can use this camera with my future HD 20-40 but now I feel confused whether should I'll still buy this new camera or not, the attached grip was the small one, but I do like the appearance of the KP with it. But I think I will have trouble a non-ergonomic camera. I really want to like this camera and is really damn sexy.

Maybe I'll try again tomorrow with the DA21/f3.2?

Thank you.

I'm very interested to see what you eventually decide. I'm also debating between the K-70 and the KP to replace my K-50. In my case, I don't have the option of continuing with the K-50 as it died from the aperture block problem. That's something you should also think about (unless you've already had your K-30 repaired). Because of that experience I had with the K-50 failing, the higher build quality of the KP is one factor in it's favor. However, I really, really liked the ergonomics of the K-50, and the K-70 presents those same ergonomics with even better features. From what I've seen reading many forum postings, aperture block failures have not been reported for the K-70, and it certainly is a much better value than the KP right now. Maybe the most important is that I'm not so sure I like the look of the KP and am very hesitant about those replaceable grips. I saw a top-down image comparison of the K-70 and the KP, and I can see that the hand-hold on the K-70 will be much better, even with the largest KP grip. I'm also concerned about the front control wheel orientation on the KP being vertical, vs. the way the K-70 wheel is oriented (much like my K-50). Do you have any comments on the control wheel feel on the KP?
11-20-2017, 12:57 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The K-30 has excellent ergonomics. The KP...somewhat less so. Try the KP with the deep grip and see if that makes a difference.

Steve
11-20-2017, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I have tiny hands (ring size=4), and I found the small grip too small. I had to grip too tightly. The medium grip removed that issue. I would suspect the grip as the problem causing the strain, rather than the weight of the camera.
11-20-2017, 03:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RubyT Quote
I have tiny hands (ring size=4), and I found the small grip too small. I had to grip too tightly. The medium grip removed that issue. I would suspect the grip as the problem causing the strain, rather than the weight of the camera.
Yes even with larger hands the medium is fine but not as secure as k30/50 but the KP can be still help one hand but because the controls I use it with both hands

11-21-2017, 07:49 AM   #12
Pentaxian

But I think I will have trouble a non-ergonomic camera.
With the smaller grips, most of the reviewers I've read (and myself as well) find the KP less ergonomic than other Pentax DSLRs. With the largest grip, however, feels in my hands just as good as my K-5 series of cameras.

I chose the KP over the K-70 for the 5-axis stabilization (vastly under-rated feature IMO) and the ability to take on a battery grip. If you don't need these two features, I suspect the K-70 is the better option.
11-21-2017, 10:09 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oddly enough, of all the Pentax bodies I've used over the years, the K-30 and the *ist-D were the only ones where my hand hurt after a prolonged shoot. Something about the shape (not size) of the grips, I guess. For the KP, I use the "small" grip for small primes like the DA Limiteds, but anything bigger than that feels better with the "medium" grip; for larger lenses like the DA*300 or DA*60-250, I switch to the "large" grip.

Last edited by THoog; 11-21-2017 at 02:40 PM.
11-21-2017, 11:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I use my KP with the 20-40 and I use the medium grip. It feels fine for me. YMMV. I also use a Peak Design wrist strap with this comb. This was my camera set up for a recent rip to Italy with it on the wrist strap most of the day most days. Its like they were made for each other.
11-21-2017, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
I use my KP with the 20-40 and I use the medium grip. It feels fine for me. YMMV. I also use a Peak Design wrist strap with this comb. This was my camera set up for a recent rip to Italy with it on the wrist strap most of the day most days. Its like they were made for each other.
I use the same setup and like it. It maybe just the ergonomics of the camera that give you wrist sprain. We all are a little different (well some of us a lot different). Example I have used "back button focus" from my Canon days, and two Pentax's (K-5 II & K-S2) but with KP I could not get use to it. My thumb kept hitting the wrong button and caused a lot missed opportunities. I finally switched back to using the shutter button for focus on the KP. That would be my only complaint about the KP and that is just a personal one.