Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2017, 06:03 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@Wingincamera I agree about the location of the back AF button. My muscle memory is trained to the K-3 / K-1 placement. AFA wrist strain, I always shoot with two hands so my right wrist never gets tired shooting KP, but my arms eventually tire of holding the K-1 and any heavy lens up.

11-22-2017, 07:10 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well I brought my DA 21/f3.2 today with my DL-190 battery, SD card. I was able to try and turn all the knobs, buttons and dials (especially the front dials of the KP and I think they are sturdy enough. When I used my DA 21 this time I felt it was more comfortable for me compared to that HD35. But then I realized and almost forgot to asked the rep the demo KP to swap the attached interchangeable grip. The rep returned to me with the box and told me that there wasn't any extra grip inside it. He evem showed to me the content list on the side of the box. He asked me to wait and wait as he will confirm about the interchangeable grip that the KP has. But unfortunately, he came back and informed me that in the Philippines, only one grip is included. And I think it is the small (S) size. He even told me that only if I am going to purchase the battery grip, that is the only time I am going to have the large (L) grip included. I politely said thanks and walk away...

(The sticker price of the KP body kit here is about $1350 with one grip)

Last edited by wed7; 11-22-2017 at 08:43 AM.
11-26-2017, 12:26 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Might be a good time to re-think your camera-holding technique. I cannot count how many camera bodies I have used over the years, having small to large grips. Even with a smaller lens, for better stability it is always better to support the camera from underneath with the left hand with its fingers around the lens for controlling it. The right hand on the camera's grip is for more stability when shooting and for working the controls, but the weight is now far less as a factor, since it is mostly being supported by the left hand.
11-26-2017, 06:07 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I hope so Mike, the general manager of marketing (Ricoh-Pentax) accompanied us in photo contest to represent the brand, I ask him why is it the only the US receiving the 3-grip kit. He explained that because they think the US peeps have bigger hands. They thought only for those (market) are the one that could use the bigger grips. He brought a silver KP + 18-135WR during the parade/photo walk.

I might order a KP with 3 grips either from the US or Japan.

Any leaks about future products you say? Well....

11-26-2017, 08:26 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I would suggest seeing what grip is on the camera... The KP has 3 grip sizes offered, in the states it comes with all three, however in other countries you have to buy the medium and large one after the fact, which stinks. I was using the KP and the 16-85 no light lens over the weekend at a birthday party without issues *with the small grip of course*. I guess I am used to the days of using a Program Plus with which hardly had any grip and a large heavy manual lens. I haven't used the medium grip much, I either use the smallest grip which is fine except when using a DA * 300 or D FA * 70-200 or the battery grip with the large grip - I haven't warmed up to the medium sized one yet.

Try again with a different sized grip and the DA 35 Limited and advise how it goes... Hopefully it will feel "more" natural for you.
11-26-2017, 09:20 PM - 1 Like   #21
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
I hope so Mike, the general manager of marketing (Ricoh-Pentax) accompanied us in photo contest to represent the brand, I ask him why is it the only the US receiving the 3-grip kit. He explained that because they think the US peeps have bigger hands. They thought only for those (market) are the one that could use the bigger grips. He brought a silver KP + 18-135WR during the parade/photo walk.

I might order a KP with 3 grips either from the US or Japan.

Any leaks about future products you say? Well....
A word of warning - in Japan it definitely ships with only the small grip. You need to order if from the US to get all three.
11-26-2017, 09:59 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There aren't any KP's to try out locally (SF Bay Area) that I have been able to find, so I finally broke down and ordered one from Adorama this evening. I have no idea how it will feel ergonomically. I have small hands, but sometimes larger cameras feel better to me. I love the K-1, but would like to have a lighter option other than my iPhone. I looked a the Fuji X-T2 and X-PRO 2, but I didn't want to start buying lenses for a different system. With with my eyesight using the Pentax ones manual focus with an adapter on the Fuji would be an exercise in frustration. I'm looking forward to handling the KP. Thank goodness Adorama has an easy return policy if it is not comfortable to use.

11-26-2017, 10:32 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
There aren't any KP's to try out locally (SF Bay Area) that I have been able to find, so I finally broke down and ordered one from Adorama this evening. I have no idea how it will feel ergonomically. I have small hands, but sometimes larger cameras feel better to me. I love the K-1, but would like to have a lighter option other than my iPhone. I looked a the Fuji X-T2 and X-PRO 2, but I didn't want to start buying lenses for a different system. With with my eyesight using the Pentax ones manual focus with an adapter on the Fuji would be an exercise in frustration. I'm looking forward to handling the KP. Thank goodness Adorama has an easy return policy if it is not comfortable to use.
I am looking forward to your review Lisa, thank you in advance. . Same here, I feel hesitant in rebuilding another lens system with the X-T2 or X-Pro 2. Although I really like their lenses too.

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
A word of warning - in Japan it definitely ships with only the small grip. You need to order if from the US to get all three.
Thank you too. To the US then.

QuoteOriginally posted by gm4life Quote
I would suggest seeing what grip is on the camera... The KP has 3 grip sizes offered, in the states it comes with all three, however, in other countries you have to buy the medium and large one after the fact, which stinks. I was using the KP and the 16-85 no light lens over the weekend at a birthday party without issues *with the small grip of course*. I guess I am used to the days of using a Program Plus with which hardly had any grip and a large heavy manual lens. I haven't used the medium grip much, I either use the smallest grip which is fine except when using a DA * 300 or D FA * 70-200 or the battery grip with the large grip - I haven't warmed up to the medium sized one yet.

Try again with a different sized grip and the DA 35 Limited and advise how it goes... Hopefully it will feel "more" natural for you.
Only the small grip is available here locally.
11-27-2017, 12:31 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I only have the small grip, and don't miss the larger options. No problem at all with the HD DA 55-300 and a conventional two-handed grip.

Surely you just let the strap support it when you're not actively shooting....
11-27-2017, 01:05 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I only have the small grip, and don't miss the larger options. No problem at all with the HD DA 55-300 and a conventional two-handed grip.

Surely you just let the strap support it when you're not actively shooting....
Thank you, Sandy.
11-27-2017, 02:28 AM   #26

Good advice Mike...

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Might be a good time to re-think your camera-holding technique. I cannot count how many camera bodies I have used over the years, having small to large grips. Even with a smaller lens, for better stability it is always better to support the camera from underneath with the left hand with its fingers around the lens for controlling it. The right hand on the camera's grip is for more stability when shooting and for working the controls, but the weight is now far less as a factor, since it is mostly being supported by the left hand.
You make a very good point Mike.
I suffered a severe and permanent injury to my right thumb and wrist. I also support the camera and lens like you mention.
I have only average size/thin hands and fingers and after experimenting with all 3 grips decided on the biggest/deepest one.
I absolutely love the KP. So much so that I have just ordered a 2nd one at a fantastic price during the Black Friday discount period. I have never owned 2 identical cameras before.
I will use one almost exclusively with the battery grip attached and the other without the grip for with my smaller prime lenses.
By the way when you purchase the battery grip you can use the bigger battery as used with the K-5/K-3 etc.

I have also owned both the KS-2 and K-70 and find the KP much better balanced and user friendly for my needs at least.

Kind regards,
Wayne.
11-28-2017, 09:46 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Flyingmariner Quote
You make a very good point Mike.
I suffered a severe and permanent injury to my right thumb and wrist. I also support the camera and lens like you mention.
I have only average size/thin hands and fingers and after experimenting with all 3 grips decided on the biggest/deepest one.
I absolutely love the KP. So much so that I have just ordered a 2nd one at a fantastic price during the Black Friday discount period. I have never owned 2 identical cameras before.
I will use one almost exclusively with the battery grip attached and the other without the grip for with my smaller prime lenses.
By the way when you purchase the battery grip you can use the bigger battery as used with the K-5/K-3 etc.

I have also owned both the KS-2 and K-70 and find the KP much better balanced and user friendly for my needs at least.

Kind regards,
Wayne.
Hi Wayne,
Yes, no doubt this is the best holding method. But one must learn to be careful to keep fingers back when using smaller lenses having focus collars that turn during AF!

I share your feelings regarding the KP. I would not be at all surprised if I wind up owning a 2nd body! The first time I did that was eons ago when, after shooting for 6 years with a manual-only Vivitar 35mm film outfit (manual-only was the only game in town when bought), I was wowed by the new Pentax ME Super being so small, so well-made, so beautiful, and having aperture-priority AE! So I bought 2 bodies and some lenses. Controls were very efficient and user friendly, and the VF was fabulous. After another 6 years, I acquired a Super Program. Next, my first AF model, the SF-1n, and gave away my ME Supers. I subsequently bought a number of Pentax 35mm AF film bodies, and did not get into digital until its quality began to satisfy me, around 2006. Since then I've acquired numerous Pentax DSLRs. I did buy 2 K-5 bodies, the original and the K-5IIs, both new at around 1/2 price after being discontinued, so I could skip the K-3 and still have pro-quality with and without an AA filter. I still use the K-5 IIs when I may need to often make quick adjustments using its full on-body control set.

In January, 20016, some months after the arrival of the K-70, I was looking to replace my little lightweight K-r (which I gave away), with a better such, having 2-dials, better VF, articulating screen, etc. and bit on a wonderful deal from B&H- the K-S2 with the tiny 18-50mm kit lens for only $508 USD! it was far less than I'd paid for my K-r alone back in 2011! It's great for a knock-around camera when out & around with friends for general shots, selfies, and the screen also for shooting from overhead, around shoulders, down low, etc.

Even though I can do well enough with only the KP's small grip, even with larger lenses, I am glad to have all three. The larger ones are handier when using larger lenses when just putting the camera in and out of my larger-size belt/shoulder holster, or when momentarily holding the camera down along my side. In the past I have used both the holster and a neck strap, as Sandy suggested, which provides yet more options. If there's a lull of some minutes, I just put the lens cap on and drop the camera into the holster. I also bought the battery grip as well for the reasons you give, and for doing a lot of verticals.

You are right about 2 camera bodies being more efficient for some circumstances. I've done it often with my film bodies at events, where I could instantly change when running out of lens FL, or out of film. I've done it with my K-5's. I can still do it now, having all the bodies I have, but another KP would be better. With its superior performance, especially for low-light indoor use, better AF, better SR, its compactness, and having the controls identical during event shooting, all are beneficial.

I had long considered my ME Supers to have been my most beautiful camera models, that is until now being matched by my silver KP! Its design layout, however, is most visually reminiscent of the retro-looking 35mm film MZ/ZX 5n, but that camera is all plastic, so not in the same construction class of the KP, or ME super. I already had some matching silver lenses, including some FA Limiteds and a silver DA 20-40mm, which I had bought singly through an Amazon seller, new at a great price. There was a temporary price special for the KP by B&H, so it and the lens together wound up at $1,537 USD, and B&H threw in a new DA 50mm f/1.8 free! Black lenses also look fine with it. I have since acquired a silver DA 15mm f/4 LTD at a B&H price special.

I was recently on vacation, biking around with a favorite kit for the circumstances- My DA 20-40 LTD on the KP, the DA 15mm LTD in the holster's front accessory pocket, and the FA 77mm LTD in its pouch in my jacket pocket. The small grip was perfectly fine. What a dream-team!

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-28-2017 at 10:04 PM.
11-29-2017, 05:22 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
Only the small grip is available here locally.

Well that stinks for you... I wish they had another option for you to try. Do take my word - it does to a rather large extent feel like a different camera with the large vs. the small grip. Makes holding glass (with neck strap of course) like the DA * 300 and D FA * 70-200 possible.

Best of luck in your hunt... I do hope a KP finds its way into your camera bag. Because it is a GREAT and interesting crop camera.
11-29-2017, 05:36 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
Lisa: I think you’ll be fine with KP using the classic two-hand grip. My only issue has been placement of the rear AF button given my thumb is conditioned to the more natural K-1 placement. If you like a deep grip the large one is equivalent. If you like a legacy film body feel the small grip is close to an LX with Grip B. Shooting with long DA lenses the Medium grip works fine.

The key is two hands.
11-29-2017, 06:47 PM   #30

I decided to keep my KP after all. Other than that i can't really say much, i have the large grip, Sandisk UHS memory cards, two batteries, all my lenses work with it. It handles freezing cold better than the other brands, built in flash is small and harsh, pixel shift in a way works better on the KP than on the K-1 but there is the sensor size difference to factor in. I don't recall if the KP has focus peaking or if i tried it yet.
There could be a few improvements for new firmware to address.

Good luck.

As far as rumors go the Canon 7D Mark iii sounds interesting. One thing that would be nice is camera companies coming up with model names and numbers that people can actually follow so that i don't get a migraine explaining it several times a day.

Last edited by solitudebound; 11-30-2017 at 04:32 PM.